android
Old 07-03-2012, 01:05 AM

Default Android phone / DLNA receiver?

Hi all,

I just got a Samsung Exhibit ii 4g (t-mobile) and tried playing some music on it (through an external amp), and the sound turned out to be pretty bad. I could take some measurements with RMAA, but it's obviously not going to work as a music player except in an emergency. There were two problems:

1) what sounded like distortion at high frequencies -- possibly a DAC problem or an output stage.

2) intermittent clicks / hiccups, barely audible, but still very annoying.

I did not try rooting it, but it probably wouldn't help, especially with 1).

I also tried a Nexus sometime ago, and it didn't sound great, either.

I always liked the idea of the Android OS but thought most phones looked pretty ugly. The reason I chose the Exhibit II 4g is that it's reasonably small and doesn't feel like a brick in my pocket and to my eyes looks much better than the rest. And the hardware specs seemed good enough, and it accepts a micro SD.

I read somewhere that it's possible to use DLNA to play music from an Android device. At least the phone's crappy DAC wouldn't be used. Has anyone here had any experience with that? Is there a receiver with line-level output that I could use?

For now I'm going to keep using the Clip+, but it would be nice to have the phone double as a music player. To go a little off-topic, could anyone also recommend another Android or a Windows phone that could do that reasonably well?

Thanks,

Sergei

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Uhh, so did you put the volume max on your phone, and then adjust the volume on the amp- or did you do it the other way arround? There's really no reason your phone should be that terrible, even a cheap Xperia Mini works just fine as a portable player hooked up to a car stereo.

I would avoid DLNA, its not that convenient, I'd rather use Bluetooth.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:06 PM

I wasn't overloading the amp, if that's what you were getting at. Maybe there is no reason it should be terrible, but it is. I'm not an "audiophile", but I do have a good ear

My understanding is that the audio quality of bluetooth is very limited.

I read in a review of another Android phone something about hardware vs software decoding. I wonder if anyone can shed any light on that.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:03 PM

P.S. I think this is a U.S. version of the Galaxy W, with better-looking case and lower-resolution camera.

Tags
android, clicks, dac, dlna, windows