android
Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 AM

Default Sandisk SD card won't work

I have just bought an 8 gb sandisk SDHC card for my Clip and it doesn't work. I have tried it in 2 different computers which does not read it from the adapter in the card slot. The player in info under SD card reads 0 MB. Is this card faulty or is there something I should do to format ?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-30-2012, 08:50 AM

Sure sounds like the card is broken. Even if it's not properly formatted, a window should pop up on your computer that asks you to format.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:04 AM

Agreed. Although rare that memory cards come out of the factory bad, it can happen. I'd return it and get another one.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Marb...where did you buy it? Could it be a fake?

Steve

Old 06-30-2012, 02:49 PM

Got it from Ebay. I made sure this seller said it was 100% genuine. Could it be fake ?

Old 06-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

eBay...better odds of a fake from ebay than Amazon.

Could it be fake? YES.
Is it fake? You're having problems with it. Makes me lean strongly towards YES.

Steve

Old 06-30-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
... Could it be fake? YES ...
I would agree with Steve on his point, if you can return it, I would. Personally I don't buy memory cards off ebay there's just too many fakes on there and occasionally there are great prices on amazon, you just have to look for the deals.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-30-2012, 06:29 PM

Default SDHC Cards

I wouldn't bother with ebay for this type of item. Amazon sell them pretty cheap with fast delivery.
I've had good luck with http://www.meritline.com/, but there are many others. Meritline is free shipping on certain items, delivery might not be as prompt as Amazon.
You might want to get one with an included adapter, that way you can bypass using the clip to check. I loaded my music onto the card this way (in fact, when I got the clip I just used and existing card already loaded).

Old 07-01-2012, 03:05 AM

I got a free adapter with this one on Ebay. Ebay are so strict and behind buyers these days which is why I thought it would be ok.

This is where I got the card.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Old 07-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Certainly, if the card isn't working, speak with the seller; and, if needed, avail yourself of the eBay grievance procedure (keep the time deadlines in mind--they're strictly enforced)--I've had good dealings with that, when needed.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:34 AM

Could it be fake? Sure. But realistically, is someone going to bother faking 8GB cards? Not likely, unless they found some "old stock" of faked cards from back when 8GB cards were the largest available.

I didn't really start hearing too much about counterfeit memory cards until the 16GB cards came out. That made it worthwhile to the counterfeiters to spend the time and energy faking up a 2GB card to appear otherwise. It just wasn't worth it on the smaller cards.

But the bottom line is fake or defective, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. You can test it with h2testw to confirm there is something wrong with the card. I'd then contact the seller, tell them you've tested the card and give them the opportunity to make things right. Don't wait; according to their eBay description page, they only offer a 14-day return policy. If they don't respond favorably, open a claim with eBay to get your money back.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
Don't wait; according to their eBay description page, they only offer a 14-day return policy. If they don't respond favorably, open a claim with eBay to get your money back.
Based on personal experience, note that eBay's 45-day post-payment deadline to open a dispute under the Buyer Protection Program trumps your seller's 2-week return policy. Just in case you're already outside that self-proclaimed 2-week limit. But I'd still try to act within the 2 weeks--one never knows how eBay might respond in any given case, and you don't want to give the seller any excuses.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:48 AM

I had no response from the seller so I have opened a case.

Last edited by Marb; 07-02-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marb View Post
I had no response from the seller so I have opened a case.
You contacted them on a Sunday and are surprised they haven't responded yet on Monday? To be fair, you should give them a little more time, at least a couple (week) days.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 AM

I got this from Ebay:

The seller has offered you a full refund for the purchase price plus original postage & packaging, if you return the item. To get your refund, post the item back to the seller. You will need to cover the cost of returning the item. Make sure you send the item by 06 Jul, 2012.

And this from the seller:

sorry if that is the case, we are sending another one, please send this one via return envelop, thanks

When the item arrived it was in a standard brown envelope with no padding !

Old 07-03-2012, 03:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marb View Post
When the item arrived it was in a standard brown envelope with no padding !
I mail cards like that all the time. Just fold it into whatever note or letter is in the envelope and haven't had a problem in at least a dozen mailings. I don't even bother with insurance any more. The cost of the insurance is so close to the price of a new 8 GB card it doesn't seem worth it.

Does this one work?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
I mail cards like that all the time. Just fold it into whatever note or letter is in the envelope and haven't had a problem in at least a dozen mailings. I don't even bother with insurance any more. The cost of the insurance is so close to the price of a new 8 GB card it doesn't seem worth it.

Does this one work?
I haven't had the replacement yet.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:27 AM

I have just received a replacement (I didn't request one) recorded delivery and the same problem. Neither the Sansa clip or the PC acknowledged the card.

Are you sure it doesn't need formatting ?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:46 AM

To format it, try the SD Formatter. One thought is; could the adapter you are using be defective? Or is the card inserted into the adapter all the way? I have an adapter that needs the card to go in very deep and I can only get it out with a knife blade, 2 cards that don’t work seems strange and if it was a fake/scam card I find it hard to believe they would send another one. Did you test the card with H2testw 1.4
to see if it’s fake?

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-06-2012, 08:00 AM

Yes, the car is fully in the adapter. Also, different adapter, different card and both are the same. If the Clip can't even register it surely it is faulty ? I can't test it because it is unreadable to test.