android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Android

Old 06-29-2012, 03:49 PM

Default Adobe waves goodbye to Flash on Android with Jelly Bean, stopping downloads on 8/15

Seven-and-a-half months ago, Adobe announced that it was done with Flash for mobile and that it would cease development of Flash Player for new mobile device configurations. With the release of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, this claim will become a reality. Adobe has no plans to certify or support Google’s latest mobile OS, and you won’t be able to download Flash Player from Google Play after August 15, 2012.

For Adobe, this is a fairly straightforward cutoff point. Starting August 15, the company will restrict Flash Player updates to those with the app already installed. This applies to both pre-installed versions of Flash, as well as those downloaded through the Google Play store. “Devices that do not have Flash Player already installed are increasingly likely to be incompatible with Flash Player and will no longer be able to install it from the Google Play Store after August 15.”

In fact, Adobe even suggests that those concerned with keeping Flash compatibility stick with certified devices running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich – and ensure that the app is already pre-installed or installed before the August 15 deadline – and avoid upgrading to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. There’s always a chance that Flash will work on Jelly Bean, but Adobe doesn’t recommend attempting it. “We recommend uninstalling Flash Player on devices which have been upgraded to Android 4.1.”

The future of Flash on Android is now set in stone, but it remains to be seen whether Flash will continue to function on other platforms. Microsoft recently announced that Flash will be built into Internet Explorer 10, ensuring compatibility on Windows 8 tablets and PCs. Windows Phone 8 shares many similarities with Windows 8, including the Windows core and IE10, so Flash support is a possibility there as well.

Personally, while HTML5 is rapidly overtaking Flash, I still find Adobe’s technology to be crucial for accessing certain websites. Do you still need Flash in order to browse the internet?

[Adobe via Engadget]

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-29-2012, 04:17 PM

I have a love hate relationship with flash. I hate it generally, but I love it because it's easy to turn off, and keep off. I'd not even install it if it wasn't for clueless people who write their sites exclusively in it.