android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-20-2012, 02:36 PM
mamamia88 mamamia88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 827
Default

Does anyone know if any of these do bookmarking for podcasts?
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #22  
Old 07-20-2012, 08:05 PM
lollicup04 lollicup04 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 85
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
No micro sd, no 32gb for the USA,...WTF???
It runs Android 4.0 ICS which is a step up from Gingerbread 3.2 and it supports FLAC for the first time ever in walkman history! . Btw the F series is offered in 16 and 32gb for the US. According to a few articles the F and E series will be available around August.
http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/...-35396728.html

As for the SGP there have been a few articles floating around of a newer model of the SGP YP-GB1 in production . Which is equally as exciting imo
Reply With Quote

  #23  
Old 07-22-2012, 12:21 AM
DiverseStyle's Avatar
DiverseStyle DiverseStyle is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Default

Just when I was considering buying an A series.

From what I hear, the button layout for the new S and E series isn't too great? And the F kind of looks okay, like a Z series with an improved external design, maybe.


I think I still would prefer the current A series.
Reply With Quote

  #24  
Old 07-22-2012, 04:12 AM
lollicup04 lollicup04 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverseStyle View Post
Just when I was considering buying an A series.

From what I hear, the button layout for the new S and E series isn't too great? And the F kind of looks okay, like a Z series with an improved external design, maybe.


I think I still would prefer the current A series.
The layout for the S and E models have been the same for the last few generation...
Its the mickey mouse layout
Reply With Quote

  #25  
Old 07-22-2012, 09:51 AM
DiverseStyle's Avatar
DiverseStyle DiverseStyle is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicup04 View Post
The layout for the S and E models have been the same for the last few generation...
Its the mickey mouse layout
Ah, sorry I guess I meant to say the way the buttons are built? The current E and S have that outline around the button, but I don't know if that has something to do with easier usage.
Reply With Quote

  #26  
Old 07-22-2012, 11:20 AM
skip252 skip252 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,154
Default

Some people had a lot of trouble with the flat buttons on the first models. You could run your finger across the entire control pad and not feel a difference. They added enough of a difference to make it much easier the later models. I haven't handled the newest ones that have just been announced so I don't know with those.
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old 07-22-2012, 05:50 PM
DiverseStyle's Avatar
DiverseStyle DiverseStyle is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Some people had a lot of trouble with the flat buttons on the first models. You could run your finger across the entire control pad and not feel a difference. They added enough of a difference to make it much easier the later models. I haven't handled the newest ones that have just been announced so I don't know with those.
Yeah, that's what I was worried about. Anyway, I hope these new models help drop the price on the A series at least.
Reply With Quote

  #28  
Old 07-22-2012, 06:17 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicup04 View Post
It runs Android 4.0 ICS which is a step up from Gingerbread 3.2 and it supports FLAC for the first time ever in walkman history! . Btw the F series is offered in 16 and 32gb for the US. According to a few articles the F and E series will be available around August.
http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/...-35396728.html

As for the SGP there have been a few articles floating around of a newer model of the SGP YP-GB1 in production . Which is equally as exciting imo
I'm referring to the other players, as I don't want Android on a Sony. I want a pure music device,...not all the BS bells & whistles.
Reply With Quote

  #29  
Old 07-22-2012, 06:28 PM
DiverseStyle's Avatar
DiverseStyle DiverseStyle is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I'm referring to the other players, as I don't want Android on a Sony. I want a pure music device,...not all the BS bells & whistles.
Completely agree. The Z series and F800 looks nice and all, but I would rather have the A series and not have all that complicated mess. I actually don't even need video capabilities.
Reply With Quote

  #30  
Old 07-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverseStyle View Post
Completely agree. The Z series and F800 looks nice and all, but I would rather have the A series and not have all that complicated mess. I actually don't even need video capabilities.
Same here.....I'll keep my A-series. I have other devices for videos and apps....
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #31  
Old 07-22-2012, 07:20 PM
DiverseStyle's Avatar
DiverseStyle DiverseStyle is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Default

Before I realized it was discontinued, I actually found the X Series appealing. There several remixed tracks I like on YouTube, and despite not being an Android player (not that it needed to be), having that feature was nice. Although I guess that model was inferior somehow and what succeeded it appears to be the Z series. Which the F800 is now following.
__________________
Creative ZEN X-Fi2: Looking to retire.
Reply With Quote

  #32  
Old 07-22-2012, 08:37 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,032
Default

I liked the 32gb X Series I had,...too bad I made a booboo and sold it.
Reply With Quote

  #33  
Old 07-22-2012, 11:41 PM
DiverseStyle's Avatar
DiverseStyle DiverseStyle is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I liked the 32gb X Series I had,...too bad I made a booboo and sold it.
Ah, then you as a Sony enthusiast could tell me if there was really anything wrong with it? It looked like a great product to me; I don't see why it was discontinued.
__________________
Creative ZEN X-Fi2: Looking to retire.
Reply With Quote

  #34  
Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverseStyle View Post
Ah, then you as a Sony enthusiast could tell me if there was really anything wrong with it? It looked like a great product to me; I don't see why it was discontinued.
The fact that, even in "HOLD" mode, the screen would light up and kill the battery made me sell it. I had the tactile controls set to remain usable in hold mode, but that one thing killed the battery - FAST!!! I had to charge it too frequently,...like a Sansa clip.

Otherwise, the X Series was pretty darn good. And the sq was (IMO) the best available. I prefer Sony over Cowon,...or anything else for that matter. Even over my iPods. I only hate that you can't use an inline clicker (like with the iPods or most Android phones & tablets) to control play/pause, ff/rew, and volume. That's something I find quite necessary. It's one feature I've realized means if I'll purchase a device or not.
Reply With Quote

  #35  
Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 AM
mamamia88 mamamia88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 827
Default

I had a sony player before i lost it somehow. Thought it was great just for music but since i listen to both music and podcasts it didn't get used much. Just wondering if anyone can confirm that the new ones do bookmarking well?
Reply With Quote

  #36  
Old 07-23-2012, 12:02 PM
DiverseStyle's Avatar
DiverseStyle DiverseStyle is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The fact that, even in "HOLD" mode, the screen would light up and kill the battery made me sell it. I had the tactile controls set to remain usable in hold mode, but that one thing killed the battery - FAST!!! I had to charge it too frequently,...like a Sansa clip.

Otherwise, the X Series was pretty darn good. And the sq was (IMO) the best available. I prefer Sony over Cowon,...or anything else for that matter. Even over my iPods. I only hate that you can't use an inline clicker (like with the iPods or most Android phones & tablets) to control play/pause, ff/rew, and volume. That's something I find quite necessary. It's one feature I've realized means if I'll purchase a device or not.
Do you find that there's something off about Sony's touchscreen players? Or is that just a preference. The current A series has a touchscreen yes, but at least on the side it has volume rockers and playback buttons (Play/Pause, FF/Rew as you said) which is more than be said for the iPod Touch. Which is why I like it, because you're not completely reliant on the touch screen. Although I wouldn't know if the buttons still function on HOLD.
__________________
Creative ZEN X-Fi2: Looking to retire.
Reply With Quote

  #37  
Old 07-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverseStyle View Post
Do you find that there's something off about Sony's touchscreen players? Or is that just a preference. The current A series has a touchscreen yes, but at least on the side it has volume rockers and playback buttons (Play/Pause, FF/Rew as you said) which is more than be said for the iPod Touch. Which is why I like it, because you're not completely reliant on the touch screen. Although I wouldn't know if the buttons still function on HOLD.
They do function when it is in HOLD.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #38  
Old 07-23-2012, 12:31 PM
DiverseStyle's Avatar
DiverseStyle DiverseStyle is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
They do function when it is in HOLD.
Thanks. That's just amazing.
__________________
Creative ZEN X-Fi2: Looking to retire.
Reply With Quote

  #39  
Old 07-23-2012, 12:49 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverseStyle View Post
Do you find that there's something off about Sony's touchscreen players? Or is that just a preference. The current A series has a touchscreen yes, but at least on the side it has volume rockers and playback buttons (Play/Pause, FF/Rew as you said) which is more than be said for the iPod Touch. Which is why I like it, because you're not completely reliant on the touch screen. Although I wouldn't know if the buttons still function on HOLD.
As Mavv said, the buttons still function on hold - I owned the new A867 as well.

And for me, I prefer tactile controls. I have no problem navigating a player via touchscreen, but when in hold mode I like a way to use it WITHOUT being required to remove it from my pocket & stare at a screen. That's why I REQUIRE the ability to use an inline control, or at the least controls that are easily used while the thing stays in a pocket.
Reply With Quote

  #40  
Old 07-23-2012, 02:38 PM
DiverseStyle's Avatar
DiverseStyle DiverseStyle is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
As Mavv said, the buttons still function on hold - I owned the new A867 as well.

And for me, I prefer tactile controls. I have no problem navigating a player via touchscreen, but when in hold mode I like a way to use it WITHOUT being required to remove it from my pocket & stare at a screen. That's why I REQUIRE the ability to use an inline control, or at the least controls that are easily used while the thing stays in a pocket.
Do you currently own a Sony Walkman does that. Or is that feature of the newest A?
__________________
Creative ZEN X-Fi2: Looking to retire.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
new player, release, sony, updates, walkman

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.