android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman

Old 07-20-2012, 02:36 PM

Does anyone know if any of these do bookmarking for podcasts?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-20-2012, 08:05 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
No micro sd, no 32gb for the USA,...WTF???
It runs Android 4.0 ICS which is a step up from Gingerbread 3.2 and it supports FLAC for the first time ever in walkman history! . Btw the F series is offered in 16 and 32gb for the US. According to a few articles the F and E series will be available around August.
http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/...-35396728.html

As for the SGP there have been a few articles floating around of a newer model of the SGP YP-GB1 in production . Which is equally as exciting imo

Old 07-22-2012, 12:21 AM

Just when I was considering buying an A series.

From what I hear, the button layout for the new S and E series isn't too great? And the F kind of looks okay, like a Z series with an improved external design, maybe.

I think I still would prefer the current A series.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverseStyle View Post
Just when I was considering buying an A series.

From what I hear, the button layout for the new S and E series isn't too great? And the F kind of looks okay, like a Z series with an improved external design, maybe.

I think I still would prefer the current A series.
The layout for the S and E models have been the same for the last few generation...
Its the mickey mouse layout

Old 07-22-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicup04 View Post
The layout for the S and E models have been the same for the last few generation...
Its the mickey mouse layout
Ah, sorry I guess I meant to say the way the buttons are built? The current E and S have that outline around the button, but I don't know if that has something to do with easier usage.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Some people had a lot of trouble with the flat buttons on the first models. You could run your finger across the entire control pad and not feel a difference. They added enough of a difference to make it much easier the later models. I haven't handled the newest ones that have just been announced so I don't know with those.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Some people had a lot of trouble with the flat buttons on the first models. You could run your finger across the entire control pad and not feel a difference. They added enough of a difference to make it much easier the later models. I haven't handled the newest ones that have just been announced so I don't know with those.
Yeah, that's what I was worried about. Anyway, I hope these new models help drop the price on the A series at least.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicup04 View Post
It runs Android 4.0 ICS which is a step up from Gingerbread 3.2 and it supports FLAC for the first time ever in walkman history! . Btw the F series is offered in 16 and 32gb for the US. According to a few articles the F and E series will be available around August.
http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/...-35396728.html

As for the SGP there have been a few articles floating around of a newer model of the SGP YP-GB1 in production . Which is equally as exciting imo
I'm referring to the other players, as I don't want Android on a Sony. I want a pure music device,...not all the BS bells & whistles.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I'm referring to the other players, as I don't want Android on a Sony. I want a pure music device,...not all the BS bells & whistles.
Completely agree. The Z series and F800 looks nice and all, but I would rather have the A series and not have all that complicated mess. I actually don't even need video capabilities.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Completely agree. The Z series and F800 looks nice and all, but I would rather have the A series and not have all that complicated mess. I actually don't even need video capabilities.
Same here.....I'll keep my A-series. I have other devices for videos and apps....

Old 07-22-2012, 07:20 PM

Before I realized it was discontinued, I actually found the X Series appealing. There several remixed tracks I like on YouTube, and despite not being an Android player (not that it needed to be), having that feature was nice. Although I guess that model was inferior somehow and what succeeded it appears to be the Z series. Which the F800 is now following.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I liked the 32gb X Series I had,...too bad I made a booboo and sold it.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I liked the 32gb X Series I had,...too bad I made a booboo and sold it.
Ah, then you as a Sony enthusiast could tell me if there was really anything wrong with it? It looked like a great product to me; I don't see why it was discontinued.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Ah, then you as a Sony enthusiast could tell me if there was really anything wrong with it? It looked like a great product to me; I don't see why it was discontinued.
The fact that, even in "HOLD" mode, the screen would light up and kill the battery made me sell it. I had the tactile controls set to remain usable in hold mode, but that one thing killed the battery - FAST!!! I had to charge it too frequently,...like a Sansa clip.

Otherwise, the X Series was pretty darn good. And the sq was (IMO) the best available. I prefer Sony over Cowon,...or anything else for that matter. Even over my iPods. I only hate that you can't use an inline clicker (like with the iPods or most Android phones & tablets) to control play/pause, ff/rew, and volume. That's something I find quite necessary. It's one feature I've realized means if I'll purchase a device or not.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 AM

I had a sony player before i lost it somehow. Thought it was great just for music but since i listen to both music and podcasts it didn't get used much. Just wondering if anyone can confirm that the new ones do bookmarking well?

Old 07-23-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
The fact that, even in "HOLD" mode, the screen would light up and kill the battery made me sell it. I had the tactile controls set to remain usable in hold mode, but that one thing killed the battery - FAST!!! I had to charge it too frequently,...like a Sansa clip.

Otherwise, the X Series was pretty darn good. And the sq was (IMO) the best available. I prefer Sony over Cowon,...or anything else for that matter. Even over my iPods. I only hate that you can't use an inline clicker (like with the iPods or most Android phones & tablets) to control play/pause, ff/rew, and volume. That's something I find quite necessary. It's one feature I've realized means if I'll purchase a device or not.
Do you find that there's something off about Sony's touchscreen players? Or is that just a preference. The current A series has a touchscreen yes, but at least on the side it has volume rockers and playback buttons (Play/Pause, FF/Rew as you said) which is more than be said for the iPod Touch. Which is why I like it, because you're not completely reliant on the touch screen. Although I wouldn't know if the buttons still function on HOLD.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Do you find that there's something off about Sony's touchscreen players? Or is that just a preference. The current A series has a touchscreen yes, but at least on the side it has volume rockers and playback buttons (Play/Pause, FF/Rew as you said) which is more than be said for the iPod Touch. Which is why I like it, because you're not completely reliant on the touch screen. Although I wouldn't know if the buttons still function on HOLD.
They do function when it is in HOLD.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
They do function when it is in HOLD.
Thanks. That's just amazing.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
As Mavv said, the buttons still function on hold - I owned the new A867 as well.

And for me, I prefer tactile controls. I have no problem navigating a player via touchscreen, but when in hold mode I like a way to use it WITHOUT being required to remove it from my pocket & stare at a screen. That's why I REQUIRE the ability to use an inline control, or at the least controls that are easily used while the thing stays in a pocket.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
As Mavv said, the buttons still function on hold - I owned the new A867 as well.

And for me, I prefer tactile controls. I have no problem navigating a player via touchscreen, but when in hold mode I like a way to use it WITHOUT being required to remove it from my pocket & stare at a screen. That's why I REQUIRE the ability to use an inline control, or at the least controls that are easily used while the thing stays in a pocket.
Do you currently own a Sony Walkman does that. Or is that feature of the newest A?

Tags
new player, release, sony, updates, walkman