android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Android

Old 06-21-2012, 11:39 PM

Default Swype beta features a new look, learning keyboard, next word prediction, and more

Swype, the popular keyboard replacement app on Android, has released a public beta of the next version. This beta brings a fresh new look to the app and promises to turn Swype into a four-in-one keyboard, thanks to the ability to swap on the fly between the app’s trademark Swype feature, predictive text input using XT9, voice dictation using Dragon, and handwriting.

The app now includes Nuance XT9 technology, allowing it to predict which word you’ll use next. It gets smarter with use, but it will learn even faster by scanning your emails, texts, and posts. Additionally, Swype will now sync your voice and text dictionaries, as well as allow you to edit the default dictionary. Swype also now includes support for more than 55 languages.

Nuance has engineered the Swype beta to work side-by-side with preinstalled version of Swype, so you don’t have to worry about losing your current installation. Do you like using Swype, or do you prefer the default keyboard or another third-party solution?

[Swype via Engadget]

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't like Swype at all. I prefer SwiftKey 3. I used the trial version for a week and I was sold enough to buy the full version.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:31 AM

I use Swype and like it. I do prefer SlideIT by a bit, but since Swype is free and SlideIT costs money, and the differences are marginal for my needs, I stick with the free solution.

On the other hand, I don't think I need any of the bloatware/spyware in the new Swype beta. If it gets any slower or hogs more memory, I will probably switch to SlideIT for good.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I use Swype and like it. I do prefer SlideIT by a bit, but since Swype is free and SlideIT costs money, and the differences are marginal for my needs, I stick with the free solution.

On the other hand, I don't think I need any of the bloatware/spyware in the new Swype beta. If it gets any slower or hogs more memory, I will probably switch to SlideIT for good.
Try swiftkey. It's an awesome keyboard and gets better with use. If you don't have an ICS device, there's also ice cream sandwich keyboard which works great as well.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 06-22-2012, 03:00 PM

I tried Swiftkey, half a year ago, or so. It was noticeably slower and more laggy for me than Swype and SlideIT. Maybe newer versions are better.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Weirdly, I ran into the Swype development team at a bar last night. They gave me a shirt and we talked about android development and their new release.

(i like swiftkey a little more though)

Old 06-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Swiftkey text prediction does seem to improve the more you use it....and you can teach it to recognize words it doesn't know, like slang words.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Zune Moderator

I use and prefer swype. tried swift key but I prefer the one finger typing of swype.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
I use and prefer swype. tried swift key but I prefer the one finger typing of swype.
He's ALIVE!!!