android
Old 06-16-2012, 11:17 AM

Default best radio reception on mp3 players

I live in Manchester, England. Radio reception on fm is pretty good all the time.
However, I went camping in the Lake district recently and the signal was much weaker.I'd taken 4 players with me- partly because they are my little friends and I can't bear to be separated from them and partly because batteries always seem to run out at the wrong time and I like to listen to live humans if I'm camping alone.
I had a Sony Walkman, Samsung P2,Sansa Fuse and Sansa clip.
I could pick up no signal on the walkman or P2 but the fuse was just about listenable and the outright winner for absolute clarity was the clip.I was very surprised-especially with the walkman because inmany ways it seems the poshest of the 4.I'd have expected the radio components to have been the same in all players,
Has anyone had similar experiences in out of the way places or other players to compare?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-16-2012, 11:31 AM

FM radio on such devices is just an extra, ie. not the reason you bought the player.

I'm in the Peak District myself and FM seems good on my Sansa Clip + and on one of my phones but not on the Lumia 710 for some reason.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:08 PM

Jeven, how can you know why I bought my player?
The radio is very important to me especially with the record function on the sansa's and the P2.
My first mp3 players had no radio and were much less useful.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohello View Post
... I went camping in the Lake district recently and the signal was much weaker. ...
Since the headphone cable on portable players acts as the radio antenna. I would suggest you take either the headphones with the longest cable or buy one of those super long 3.5mm extensions and run it up a tree next to your tent, which will improve reception

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-16-2012, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.
The phones I was using do have an exceptionally long lead(I've almost strangled myself on many occasions!) but I found the the winning sansa clip had v.good reception compared to the other players and I wondered why this might be?