android
Old 06-14-2012, 10:56 AM

Default Clip zip dead as a doornail only 4 weeks old.

I am absolutley gutted that a player I have owned for just 4 weeks has died in the middle of playing. It was fully charged and no amount of pressing the on switch has any effect. Plug into the PC and dead.

Why didn't I listen to some of the reviewers on Amazon who had the same thing happen. It has taken me ages to get all my fav tracks cataloged on this. Utter garbage. Can I get my money back ?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-14-2012, 11:09 AM

Did you try reset?

1. Press and hold the Power/Menu button for approximately 30 seconds.
2. Release the Power/Menu button.
3. Press the Power/Menu button again to turn on the player.

Chances are you can't get your money back but you can get a new player via SanDisk RMA process. BTW it's far from garbage, dam good little players and I've owned 6 of them and they're all still working fine ... oldest one is at least 2 to 3 years old.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marb View Post
Can I get my money back ?
Doesn't that depend on where you bought it? Shouldn't you be asking them instead of bothering us?

Walkgood has already given you advice on what to do.

I have one question...did you upgrade the firmware that came on the player? I had problems with my Zip hanging when I first got it. Firmware was01.01.15A. I upgraded to V01.01.20A and am no longer having those problems.

Steve

Old 06-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Marb installed and un-installed Rockbox. WalkGood gave him directions and a link to the latest firmware. If he followed that the firmware was upgraded then.

BTW, it's a place for asking questions. True enough none of us can tell Marb if he can get his money back but they may not be aware of the RMA process or that sandisk makes it fairly painless. I don't believe making them aware of that is too much of a bother.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:55 PM

Did you try reset?

1. Press and hold the Power/Menu button for approximately 30 seconds.
2. Release the Power/Menu button.
3. Press the Power/Menu button again to turn on the player.

Yes, Yes and yes with no effect. BTW, do you mean press both buttons simultaneously or either one ? It isn't clear.

For some reason after a few attempts at plugging and unplugging the USB connection to the PC it suddenly came back to life. I admit, the player itself isn't garbage but it's no good if it's inconsistent and decides to pack up at any time. I had no idea about the RMA process . Sorry, I thought this was a Sandisk forum which is why I wanted to know if I could get money back on a faulty player. Perfectly reasonable question. It was bought on Play.com but as it's now working, I can continue to use it. For now at least.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
For some reason after a few attempts at plugging and unplugging the USB connection to the PC it suddenly came back to life.
That means it was frozen. Holding the power button resets it.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:46 PM

Why does it freeze ?

Old 06-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Why does it freeze ?
Why does any computer freeze? Software bugs, hardware bugs, corrupted files, cosmic rays, and so on.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
… Why didn't I listen to some of the reviewers on Amazon who had the same thing happen. It has taken me ages to get all my fav tracks cataloged on this. Utter garbage. …
While I’m not harping on you, this thread reminded me - I’ve read a similar statement about the amazon reviews and calling a player garbage that many abi members like very much. So much that it inspired us to collectively put this thread together. Many of us have found that most issues are not that difficult to fix, while others have had little to no problems.

BTW 3.5 out of 5 star rating is not that bad for amazon reviews. 361 reviews 3 stars and above out of 509 reviews. Only 148 - 2 stars and below and I’m guessing that at least half of the 148 are user driven errors

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Why does it freeze ?
Blame it on Bush. That's what Curious George does.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Why does it freeze ?
Could be a file that is bad, possibly due to a blip while copying. If so, it might happen again.

Steve

Old 06-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I am absolutley gutted that a player I have owned for just 4 weeks has died in the middle of playing. It was fully charged and no amount of pressing the on switch has any effect. Plug into the PC and dead.

Why didn't I listen to some of the reviewers on Amazon who had the same thing happen. It has taken me ages to get all my fav tracks cataloged on this. Utter garbage. Can I get my money back ?
Well, you have a 1-year (in the U.S.; 2 years in the EU) warranty on the player--just telephone SanDisk for help and, possibly, a replacement.