android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutipad

Old 06-13-2012, 09:26 PM

Default Acer ICONIA Tab A700 detailed, available for pre-order for $450

Acer has announced the final specs for the ICONIA Tab A700 tablet running Android 4.0 “Ice Cream Sandwich.” Specs-wise, it’s pretty good. The 10.1-inch 1920 x 1200 display is powered by an NVIDIA Tegra 3 1.3GHz quad-core processor and 1GB of RAM. 32GB of internal memory, a 5MP rear-facing camera, 1MP front-facing camera, and both microSD and micro-USB ports come standard. The device also supports Dolby Mobile 3, including 5.1 Channel Dolby Surround Sound output via HDMI. Acer, of course, is touting the tablet’s “long battery life,” which will survive 10.5 hours of video playback or eight hours of web browsing. Strangely, Acer’s store lists 13 hours of battery life.

The Acer ICONIA Tab A700 doesn’t have a firm release date yet, but it’s currently available for pre-order for $449.99. The device comes in either silver or black, and also supports quick photo uploads to Google+.

What do you think of this tablet's specs?

[Acer Store via Engadget]

Last edited by Master Devwi; 06-13-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Am I the only one that thinks with a quad-core and hi-def screen like this, that the device should have 2GB of RAM instead of one? It is a nice looking tablet, to be sure....but I think the extra RAM would make a big difference.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, I think 2gb of ram should be standard with a quad core. 512 per core,...smooth rumming insured.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:49 PM

Nice specs, but unfortunately I don't trust anything Acer... I've used their laptops at Costco, and the plastic feels really cheap.

I would personally want to get the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity (although it will most likely quite a bit more expensive): http://eee.asus.com/eeepad/transformer-infinity/features/

Old 06-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Screen res bump won't be enough as far as I'm concerned. Nice spec to pick to improve, but if they want to stand out more against Samsung and Asus they'll need far more unique/useful attributes as well as some accessories made to work specifically with the new tablet. JMHO

Old 07-05-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Re: Acer ICONIA Tab A700
Screen res bump won't be enough as far as I'm concerned. Nice spec to pick to improve, but if they want to stand out more against Samsung and Asus they'll need far more unique/useful attributes as well as some accessories made to work specifically with the new tablet. JMHO
I agree. I really like the optional dock for Asus TF700 that's supposed to save power.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

deingla... The dock doesn't save power, it just includes an additional battery to extend how long the two together can run before needing a new charge.

JellyBean is supposed to enable audio-out over USB on tablets, so perhaps we'll start to see speaker docks you can use with most android tablets via their included USB sync cables. Won't matter what they have for a charge port in that case.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
JellyBean is supposed to enable audio-out over USB on tablets, so perhaps we'll start to see speaker docks you can use with most android tablets via their included USB sync cables. Won't matter what they have for a charge port in that case.
that will be worth an upgrade if accessories start popping up.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:06 PM

So Asus and Acer have similar offerings. It'll be interesting to see which is less expensive and carries more perks.

The pixel density isn't much different. It's like a 30 pixel difference isn't it? Most eyes won't be able to tell a diff anyway.

$450 for a 32 gb tablet is still better than the iPad though. I mean if you prefer spending another 100-150 dollars for a few more pixels you can't see, be my guest.

It's a nice tablet but it does have a few issues as mentioned in http://www.squidoo.com/acer-iconia-tab-a700-review

Old 08-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have to say, the Retina display on the iPad 3 really did make a difference for me (almost like going from a good dot matrix printer to a laser printer). Hopefully, the resolution of other tablets will follow suit.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
I have to say, the Retina display on the iPad 3 really did make a difference for me (almost like going from a good dot matrix printer to a laser printer). Hopefully, the resolution of other tablets will follow suit.
I looked at an iPad 3 at a Best buy today, and I must say that at least what was looping on the display looked very nice. Doesn't mean I am buying one though....lol.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Asus TF301 received the JellyBean update. From my point of view this tablet is plenty. Works better (GPS) than the Prime. It is interesting to see the spec race going on the Apple started. I expect someone to come out with a 3840 x 2160 7" display any day now.