android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 06-12-2012, 04:46 AM

Default Sansa Clip Zip first impressions by a newbie, and questions

Gentlemen,

I have joined this site to offer, for what they are worth, a few first impressions on the Sansa Clip Zip 8Gb, bought today, and to ask a few questions.

This is my very first mp3 player; on my pc I use MediaMonkey 3.2.5.1306; my taste in music is exclusively 20th century classical; I am not young.

- First, I could not automatically update firmware, had to do it manually.
- Earbuds do not fit, yet provide a reasonable sound, and provide far more volume than my usually-used Sony MDP-G72.
- Much clicking to check how fares the battery.
- 15 hours of battery-life is promised, which seems poor for a bush-walker, but no replaceable battery, and cannot play the Clip Zip whilst it is charging.

Questions:
- Can this unit be charged in any other way than USB, such as by a powermat?
- Is installing another battery, even with the carefullest surgery, impossible?
- Will different firmware, such as RockBox, increase battery-life?
- Which earbuds, or earphones, can be recommended?

In closing, need I draw anyone's attention to the BioLite camp stove, which by using fire power is supplied via USB?

Answers, feedback, will be very welcome.

Thankyou.

SBookman

Last edited by SBookman; 06-12-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-12-2012, 05:17 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

The Clip Zip only charges through the USB port. You can use any charger that provides the USB standard 5 volts. Since there's no data connection you can then listen to it while charging . There's a wide variety of inexpensive USB chargers including some phone chargers. You may also want to explore portable USB chargers. They can extend the battery life considerably.
No one has reported the results of an attempt at replacing the battery. It's probably possible, it's been done on other models of the Clip.

Rockbox has extended extend the battery life for me using .mp3 and ogg vorbis files. I don't use FLAC files on portable player but the reports I've seen indicate the battery life with them in Rockbox is very good. The decoders for vorbis and FLAC in Rockbox are much more efficient than the one in the sandisk firmware. I haven't seen any reports one way or the other using AAC files.

You can use just about any normal headphones with the Clip Zip. The amp section is very good and works well with a wide variety of headphones. If the sensitivity is very low or the ohms are very high it may be quiet but the sound quality will remain good.

I removed the link to the commercial product you included in your post. From the content in the rest of your post I doubt your intention is to post spam. On this forum that's what that link would have been considered.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:46 AM

Sir,

I reedited my post to state only the remarkable product's name, for the purchase of which I am on a waiting list, I trust I do not breach rules or offend.

I have read of problems firmwaring Clip Zip with Rockbox, which is considered unstable, though not with its predecessor.

"The amp section is very good and works well with a wide variety of headphones." The amp section?

Again apologies for the "spam".

Thankyou for your time.

SBookman

Old 06-12-2012, 05:47 AM

Hola, lots of great information here about sansa Clips here, hope you enjoy the site …
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBookman View Post
- First, I could not automatically update firmware, had to do it manually.
Thank god you learned that first, their firmware updater is the stupidest thing ever invented and is always on/running. If you installed it on your pc, remove it and stick with manual updates.

Quote:
- Earbuds do not fit, yet provide a reasonable sound, and provide far more volume than my usually-used Sony MDP-G72.
They’re not very good, either gift them to another or use them for repair parts as some of us do ….

Quote:
- Much clicking to check how fares the battery.
Not wroth the trouble and I’ve never found a battery meter on any player to be anything other than a rough guide, not exactly correct.

Quote:
- 15 hours of battery-life is promised, which seems poor for a bush-walker, but no replaceable battery, and cannot play the Clip Zip whilst it is charging.
All manufacturers exaggerate about battery life by using ridiculous test conditions, although running rockbox does extend the battery life for me. Read below for second part.

Quote:
- Can this unit be charged in any other way than USB, such as by a powermat?
Yes if you mean something like the Powermat 1850, any USB wall adapter or wall wart.

Quote:
- Is installing another battery, even with the carefullest surgery, impossible?
You need to know how to solder small electronics but yes it’s been done and is possible.

Quote:
- Will different firmware, such as RockBox, increase battery-life?
Yes it does for me but still depends on your usage …

Quote:
- Which earbuds, or earphones, can be recommended?
Please read here and start a thread in the headphone forums with as much info as possible so other members can make you some recommendations.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-12-2012, 05:58 AM

Sir,

Thankyou for your swift and informative reply. Most kind.

SBookman

Old 06-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Get a usb battery pack to use with the Clip+ if you need more battery life. There are a few inexpensive ones such as the Tekkeon mp1580 for around $17 that uses 4 nimh rechargeable batteries(not included), which might give up to around 7 full charges of the Clip zip with each set of Sanyo 2700 batteries(which are probably the highest capacity nimh AA batteries). The $30 Veho Pebble XT has a 5000 mah built in Lion battery, which might give around 10-12 full charges of the Clip+ battery. There are many other Lion battery packs, however the others seem to be heavier , larger, or more expensive than the Pebble XT for the same capacity. There are also smaller and lighter battery packs such as the Duracell My Grid battery pack(the My Grid system isn't needed), but this has only 1800 mah.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:56 AM

check out monoprice for a micro usb battery pack they can be had for as cheap as $8+ shipping. also a good place to order extra cables and stuff. not sure if rockbox improves battery or not but you have more control over screen timeout etc. Best battery life would probably be using it as a shuffle player, setting backlight to 1s, and lowering the brightness all the way. and i can't reccomend these enough for $20 http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-.../dp/B0038W0K2K

Old 06-12-2012, 10:08 AM

Gentlemen,

Thankyou for your advises, which I will pursue.

SBookman

Old 05-23-2013, 09:25 AM

Default Sansa Clip Zip first impressions - one year on

Gentlemen,

The following are my impressions of the Sansa Clip Zip after one year of daily use:

Overall I am very pleased indeed with my first mp3 player, which is regularly rockboxed with the latest version, enhanced with a 32Gb SD card, and protected by an Israel-made, somewhat sticky, silicon case.

I use, - by now somewhat aged, - a pair of seemingly excellent Sony NDR-G72 folding portable earphones which I purchased with a Sony MiniDisk; I play exclusively mid-to-late 20th Century classical music mp3s at a maximum 192 bitrate, (as well 96 bitrate YouTube mp4s converted to mp3).

To recharge in the bush I use also the excellent 5000 mAh Pebble, sufficient for 15-20 recharges.

One recurring problem I do encounter is the often inability of my pc, (XYplorer 12.40, Windows Explorer, and MediaMonkey 4.0.7.1511), to recognize the Clip Zip, - even after patiently waiting for the 75% filled SD card to be read, - which, until I unplug Clip Zip, often locks up XYplorer.

Control Panel - View Devices and Printers - right click, Properties, says the device is working properly, but sometimes not, requiring Troubleshoot to not always fix the problem.

The Rockbox firmware, whilst superior to the Sansa, is far less intuitive, indeed sometimes confusing.

I receive zero reception for the radio, for I am far away; I delete all that is unnecessary to my needs: podcasts, &c; occasional voice recordings are saved to the root directory.

Questions:
1. Is the problem of my pc reading the Clip Zip an one of easy solution?

2. Will a mini amp improve, not volume, but sound quality, (I have read the elderly post "What Can Portable Amps Accomplish?"), and if so can a device be recommended: (the Firestone Audio Fireye, perhaps, or the NuForce Mobile Music Pump)?

3. Whilst the Meelectronics' M6-BK over-ear earbuds were far better than the buds supplied by the Clip Zip, but never feeling comfortable with such a physical invasion, would sound quality benefit from better earphones?

Gentlemen, I feel my life has been changed, not insignificantly, by becoming an mp3 user, - I scarcely leave home without my rig, - and with all that is on offer on the internet, legally or otherwise, I now have over 1000 hours of music to digest, to process: a high percentage of which, as with all musical genres, is, to me, alas, very routine.

Thankyou

Last edited by SBookman; 05-23-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

1) If you're in rockbox, its probably a bug in our USB driver. There is no easy fix for that unless you're good at USB programming.

2) No, an amp would be pointless.

3) Yes, different headphones could be much better. Comfort matters more than quality for listening I would say. Get something that works for you, not for random reviewers on the internet.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

For what it's worth, I've left my Zips (and my iPod 5.5 and e280) on the current 3.13 stable release, and they are recognized by my PC every single time.....that was not always the case in the few months prior to the Zip becoming "officially" stable before the 3.13 release.

Also to the OP, sometimes an old outdated theme can be enough to interfere with the USB.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:35 AM

Sir,

USB bug, ok; amp pointless?, really?, ok, but as I am so far away and cannot simply go in a shop and try various earphones, I must, - perhaps more than is sensibly recommended, -rely on opinion. This problem is furthered by the relative rarity of my musical taste.

Thankyou

Old 05-30-2013, 05:39 PM

If you are having USB problems on the latest builds, it is likely a theme issue.

I don't want to shill my work but I know my BBW theme does not contain the offending code and it is easy to read for older eyes. There are several other good themes too, but be wary of any that are older than 3 months or so.

http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?...t=sansaclipzip

If you want to increase the battery life in lieu of swapping a new one, try using my modified rockbox build: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...7&postcount=13

This will suppress the backlight when using the volume keys. I'd also recommend turning down the contrast (if using a b/w theme like above) to 3 or 4 and setting the backlight duration to as low as possible.

Cheers.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 PM

Sir,

With Rockbox 3.13, - whilst still slow to read, - my pc now ± reads both the Clip Zip and the 32Gb SD.

I use no theme but standard default: my old eyes still hold fair out. With backlight set to minimum, contrast lowest readable, and very little fiddling with the volume, your kindly build could not but minimally increase battery life.

Despite member saratoga stating it would be pointless, and despite, also, NuForce informing me that their Mobile Music Pump would produce a "significant improvement" in sound quality on my Clip Zip, I still wish to hear further opinions on a mini amp.

Also, - realizing the terribly subjective nature of the subject, - I would appreciate recommendations for headphones, preferably behind the head.

Thankyou

Old 06-01-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Sir,
Despite member saratoga stating it would be pointless, and despite, also, NuForce informing me that their Mobile Music Pump would produce a "significant improvement" in sound quality on my Clip Zip, I still wish to hear further opinions on a mini amp.
Thankyou
I would bet that they have not any proofs for the claim of "significant improvement". The Clip ZIp have good quality sound and if its volume is enough for your headphones and listening habits, an amp really can't improve the sound in any objective way. It could change the sound in some way so that some people would prefer it for the original sound. The only way is to try. It's a relatively expensive way. Using an equalizer would be a cheaper way. Getting better headphones is expensive but can give also objective improvements to the sound.

WIth the combination of a Clip Zip and a Sony MDR-G72, the way to upgrade the sound quality would be getting new headphones. It would be easy to find better earphones if IEMs or circumaural (around the ears) would be acceptable. From neckband (behind the neck) models it is much harder to find a definite upgrade. Take a look what is available, read the reviews. Maybe headphones from known headphone manufacturers would be the safest choice. Maybe Grado iGrado or some of Koss' or Sennheiser's current model...

Old 06-01-2013, 01:13 PM

Sir,

Thankyou for your wisdoms.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Asking a salesman how much to spend is a great way to throw away all your money.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Sir,

With Rockbox 3.13, - whilst still slow to read, - my pc now ± reads both the Clip Zip and the 32Gb SD.

I use no theme but standard default: my old eyes still hold fair out. With backlight set to minimum, contrast lowest readable, and very little fiddling with the volume, your kindly build could not but minimally increase battery life.

Also, - realizing the terribly subjective nature of the subject, - I would appreciate recommendations for headphones, preferably behind the head.

Thankyou
If you want just get one of these to try out.
I have one and have not noticed any increase in sound quality with my Clips.

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E6-Portab...&keywords=fiio

Old 06-03-2013, 05:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

I've read that the NuForce components are very over-rated and especially over-priced for what they offer.

For the most part, a portable amp only adds volume(and sometimes a bass-boost setting) to a setup, unless one is using exceptionally power-hungry headphones.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:56 AM

Gentlemen,

As a sufficiency of volume is not a problem, it seems from the above kindly responses that an amp may indeed be of no service in improving sound.

Thankyou