android
Old 06-06-2012, 11:22 PM

Default SDXC smartphone recomendation help

I'm tired of carting around a cellphone, 500gb mp3player, and tablet

I'm looking to consolidate it,
can anyone recommend an inexpensive phone with video and audio support, good battery life?

and MUCH more importantly, can anyone confirm that said recommendation can fully utilize a 128gb or higher sdxc card? (via fat32 formatting or otherwise)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

define "inexpensive" and "good battery life". I haven't had a phone yet that I could listen to music on all day that didnt need a charge by midnight. I just plug my galaxy in whenever I am at my desk or in my car and its fine.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:25 AM

I'll go out on a limb and say what you ask for does not exist.

Pretty much nothing has that much storage and if it does it is not cheap. MicroSD is the standard expansion you get with phones, not SD. MicroSD cards cost more and have lower capacity.

I think there are a handful of phones out there with 64 GB internal storage that also have a MicroSD expansion slot. MicroSD cards go up to 64 GB. The means the most you'll get is 128 GB if you really throw money at the problem.

So yeah, define your budget, your requirements, and what you are willing to compromise on. Read Me

Last edited by sideways; 06-07-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: 64 GB limit on MicroSD cards, thanks Saratoga

Old 06-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

portability alays comes with compromise. we all face the decision of what we want to trim...battery life, physical size, storage, multiple devices, cost, quality, etc etc. The easiest thing to do is scale back the amount of media you travel with. I used to carry all of my mp3s around and was pissed when it becae hard to find high capacity players. I was forced to go with lower capacity and leave some songs at home. It doesnt bother me anywhere near as much as I thought it would. I also gave up battery life so I could get rid of the mp3 player and go down to 2 devices (phone and tablet). again, it works even if not my dream device. I did go with a samsung galaxy so I could keep a pretty decent level of audio quality though. A first gen wolfson version, not the sgII. got it off ebay for around $200 around a year ago.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Right now there's really no smartphone that exists with those specs.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Also, 128GB microsdxc cards don't exist yet.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:04 PM

I could have sworn I saw announcements for 128 GB and 256 GB microSD cards, but looking now I can't find any.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:03 AM

They can announce them all they want, that doesn't mean they're saying that said cards are going to be sold anywhere. Even if they say "now available", that can just mean they have them in a few stores around the world.

Stupid marketing...
movies, Netflix and internet, oh my!

Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 PM

Galaxy s3 is advertised as being expandable with a 64gb micro sd card, so I am assuming it's compatible with sdxc! Although at 500/$750 it certainly doesn't meet the in-expensive remit!

On the plus side though, who wants black when you can have an absolutely brand new pebbley colour, surely that's worth 5 ton on its own

Old 06-13-2012, 11:18 PM

I have a friend who will give me an old nexus s1 (which is expandable)
I was thinking if i were to wait for the micro sdxc 128gb card to A) be released and B) go down in price, I could easily reformat it to ntsf (i would lose about half a gig tops)
that would work perfectly, don't you think?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:19 PM

if anyone has a better idea, let me know

Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Kalas View Post
I have a friend who will give me an old nexus s1 (which is expandable)
I was thinking if i were to wait for the micro sdxc 128gb card to A) be released and B) go down in price, I could easily reformat it to ntsf (i would lose about half a gig tops)
that would work perfectly, don't you think?
Assuming your kernel actually supports NTFS, then yes it would work. Otherwise, you might want to use FAT32, since thats always supported on Android.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:53 PM

the device does support ntfs ...for sure
I figure i'll start with 128gb to tide me over till the higher capacities come out
the 256gb micro will be the perfect solution but that will have to wait, thanks for your input guys

Old 07-10-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byethecrin View Post
Galaxy s3 is advertised as being expandable with a 64gb micro sd card, so I am assuming it's compatible with sdxc! Although at 500/$750 it certainly doesn't meet the in-expensive remit!

On the plus side though, who wants black when you can have an absolutely brand new pebbley colour, surely that's worth 5 ton on its own
SDXC is inherently backward compatible with SDHC 3 readers (basically any SDHC reader manufactured since 2010). They ship formatted exFAT, so you need to reformat them as FAT32...otherwise most if not all modern devices with SDHC (such as the S3 and all the galaxy players) can read SDXC cards after you allow the device to reformat them. Yous imply miss out on some SDXC spec features (such as xfer speeds greater than 104MB/s).

The SDXC spec allows for capacities up to 2TB, but nobody is manufacturing any such device yet. I've only seen 64GB microSDXC so far, and 128GB is only avialable in standard SDXH form factor (which won't fit in a microSD slot).

Tags
phone, recomendation, tablet