android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2012, 11:35 AM

Hi All,

I am looking at buying my first 'real' headphones for what I am willing to spend on them; $150-200.

I tried the IRC and received some links to here on how to post a recommendation request, so here it goes:
  • Budget: $150 - 200 soft limit, so I could go up if needed, but the general idea is around this.
  • Location: New York, USA - for a month though, so I need to act quick, I won't get as many chances of this much availability.
  • Category: full size headphones
  • Closed Style: But I think I prefer a wide stage; hard to mix closed and wide? The reason for closed is so that I don't disturb others and that I don't hear them while working. I think my sound preference would best match open style though.
  • Circumaural
  • Primary location of use: Indoor home/office/desk, not portable not at the gym
  • Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: As I said I think I like a wide stage. I like to have rich mids and highs, bass needs to be bass though, not too much, but Seven Nation Army still has to sound like Seven Nation Army if you know what I mean. 'Rich across the sound spectrum?', I like a good vocal song too like 'You've got the Love'. I like that sensation that you hear instruments or details that you haven't heard in the same recording before.
  • Media: Music mostly, some dance, some guitar, some classical, Bob Dylan, Bon Iver, Coldplay, Cafe del Mar, Lana Del Rey, White Stripes. Very diverse I think.
  • Source: Computer / Logitech Z5500 speaker set's home base, I am open to tips on this too. And on the go/office a MacBook Pro (sadly it has some static).
Any tips and recommendations would be great.

Does anyone know any stores other than B&H where you can go check out cans and try them on? Any tips on bringing my own source to play from and what I should make sure to look for?

I have looked at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, but B&H does not have them in stock right now. I have also looked at the Denon AH-D1100, I like the design OK, but prefer Beyerdynamic.

Thanks!

On a side note, I have tried on the Audio-Technica ATH M50, but I don't think they are $160 good. Just to give you an impression.

Last edited by skip252; 06-06-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: posts merged, please edit consecutive posts instead of multiposting

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tags
amplifier, beginner, headphone, recommend, tips