android
Old 06-05-2012, 01:14 AM

Default Home Stereo MP3 Player

I know it's the wrong place to ask. Y'all are really into this though. My 200 cd player is history. I'd like something that I can hook up to my old stereo receiver that will hold my MP3 collection. Am I stuck with going with an HTPC?
Seems like overkill to buy a computer to hook up to my stereo just for music. Everything I've found is multi room, blue tooth, expensive, complicated.
Would I be best off buying an old "puter and making it a strictly music player?
I've got about 90 GB of data, but I want simple.LOL & cheap Thanks folks

Or perhaps give me some general search suggestions?

Last edited by Audie61; 06-05-2012 at 02:23 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-05-2012, 07:24 AM

Moved your thread to "Home Audio ..."

I like your idea of buying a low cost laptop or pc to use, much cheaper than a HTPC unless your building one for TV, videos, etc ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-05-2012, 07:29 AM

You might also consider retiring whatever you have now, placing it in a home theater role, and upgrading your main system.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:57 AM

Default WDTV live

My 400 Disc Play was god awful hideous and to find a cabinet to fit it in was difficult. May I suggest Western Digital TV and a terabit hard drive. Rip the CD's on to a hard drive and play your music from there. You don't even need a TV to view your tracks if you have a Android device which also serves as a remote. This is how I play all my music now and video as well. So small I take it on the road when I travel. WDTV has HDMI and Toslink outputs and if you have a good receiver with a Good DAC you are good to go.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie61 View Post
90GB won't fit on them, but personally I just use one of my Sansa players (Clip, Clip+, Fuze, don't think I've used my Clip Zip yet) connected through a Y-cable (headphone out to dual RCA). Works very well for me.

Fits the simple & cheap criteria perfectly.

Steve

Old 06-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie61 View Post
I know it's the wrong place to ask. Y'all are really into this though. My 200 cd player is history. I'd like something that I can hook up to my old stereo receiver that will hold my MP3 collection. Am I stuck with going with an HTPC?
Seems like overkill to buy a computer to hook up to my stereo just for music. Everything I've found is multi room, blue tooth, expensive, complicated.
Would I be best off buying an old "puter and making it a strictly music player?

Or perhaps give me some general search suggestions?
Can you give us an idea how much of a budget you're allotting to this? That would simplify things for us.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:27 AM

I failed to mention that a WDTV has RCA connections as well cost me $79 and you can hook up a DAP,MMP,ect, Thumbdrives, and find a HHD for about $50 or less to fill your needs.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You can use a tablet and stream from a home server if you wanted. A lot of android file browsers have network browsing built right in. I think ES browser is the one i use and its free. a netbook would work too. I use my nook and streaming sources like pandora in my audio stack because I didnt want to introduce a full monitor and any kind of mouse or keyboard. Archos makes some high capacity devices if you want it all local. Youc an get a 64gb micorsd card for $60 now too so you can expand a 32 gb device beyond your needs

Old 06-07-2012, 11:20 PM

gaming console ps3 or 360 could do the trick. i reccomend ps3 because they use standard laptop harddrives and are easy to replace. also it's a great media hub.