android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 06-05-2012, 03:19 AM

Default ok i tried putting my clip zip on all 3 modes and it still won't load music. help!

I downloaded the manual and did what it said to do, but its still not working. i also formatted it so the music and podcasts that came with it got erased. i formatted a 4gb sd card and have it in the player as well. i took out the sd card before i formatted the player. i reset the player and it said transferring files but it didn't. do i turn it on and then transfer files or leave it off and transfer the files? help please!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-05-2012, 03:44 AM
Administrator

How are you attempting to transfer the files? The simplest and most reliable way I know to add files to is to put he player in MSC mode then drag the .mp3 files into the Music folder in Windows Explorer. You see the player as a drive letter and exactly where you're placing the files. I have my music organized in folders so I just drag and drop the entire folder.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:56 AM

Default well i tryed that

i tried that already. i can get it go on the player by copying and pasting it to the music folder on the zip but when i go to the windows music player it won't let me copy it. i have to go the music folder under libraries by hitting theblue back button on the top of the zip clip folder when its open. but it only takes me to the desktop and not all my music is there. how do i get the music player to let me copy music?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kitties View Post
i tried that already. i can get it go on the player by copying and pasting it to the music folder on the zip but when i go to the windows music player it won't let me copy it …
Connect in MSC mode, go to where the actual music files are stored, not thru windows music player. Now do your copy paste or drag & drop.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Since the files drag and drop the problem isn't the player. It seems you still haven't figured out how to use WMP to move files to the player. WMP doesn't support drag and drop, it syncs.

Moving files and creating playlists in WMP is fairly simple but non-intuitive. It's best not to think in terms of moving files with WMP. Think in terms of syncing playlists. That creates playlists and moves their content. Once the files are in place a playlist that contains files that are on the player doesn't move a duplicate of that file. The new playlist references the file on the player.

Create a playlist in WMP. Connect the player in MTP mode. Use the Sync tab to sync the playlist. That moves the files and creates the playlist on the player.

Make sure to select MTP, not MSC or Autodefect. Autodefect will sometimes change USB modes without notice and MSC will move the files but won't create the playlist.

Last edited by skip252; 06-05-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Corrected MSC file moving sentence

Old 06-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The above advice when used all together could result in you switching between MSC and MTP modes. If you do this you will forever be missing some of your music. Pick one USB mode, either MSC or MTP.

Personally I recommend choosing MSC mode and forgetting about MTP and WMP altogether.

Steve

Old 06-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
The above advice when used all together could result in you switching between MSC and MTP modes. If you do this you will forever be missing some of your music. Pick one USB mode, either MSC or MTP.

Personally I recommend choosing MSC mode and forgetting about MTP and WMP altogether.

Steve
This ^

Old 06-05-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post

Steve
I agree on MSC mode. Also, very good point, I didn't think someone would post mtp instructions after msc instructions

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Administrator

The limited information 2kitties gives leads me to believe they're trying to transfer files using WMP. My experience with WMP is that syncing playlists made in using MTP mode does that best. Both the files and the playlists transfer.

I wrote that backwards in post #5. MSC will transfer the files from a playlist but won't create a playlist. I've corrected that.

I don't use WMP for MTP file transfer but I keep my hand in to help others that do. Most of them have no troubles once they figure out the "create a playlist and sync it" concept. When something does go wrong it's a major PIA to try to fix.

The most frequent problem is the WMP database goes bad and doesn't remember what's on which drive. Then it sends duplicates and will lose playlists that represent a lot of work. I've never found a way to fix that except flush the database and start over.

Simple drag and drop in MSC is much easier and reliable IMO. You have better control of the transfer process and any software that can create a properly formatted EXTM3U playlist works as a playlist maker. That setup can actually be back up reliably. I've never heard of a way to reliably backup a WMP database or the files transferred in MTP.