android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2012, 01:16 AM

Default South Africa's coolest smartphone brand as rated by youth is...BlackBerry?

Dunno about you, but I never saw this one coming. The eighth annual Generation Next Brand Survey Awards have been awarded, and BlackBerry went away with the “Coolest Brand Overall” in the rapidly advancing country.

Says Lanie Visser, Marketing Director for South Africa at Research In Motion (RIM), “We are delighted that South Africa’s youth has chosen BlackBerry as their smartphone of choice and as South Africa’s coolest youth brand for the second time. These awards reflect how the BlackBerry smartphone has become an indispensable social tool and lifestyle device for active, connected young South Africans and we would like to thank our young BlackBerry customers for their continued loyalty.”

I'm sure you're delighted RIM, but meanwhile I'm baffled, or at least I was. Then I started thinking. I've actually run into a number of people lately—not geeks by any standard—who were sporting fresh RIM hardware. Mostly I've run into them due to their needing my help with something complicated that is dead-simple on Android or Windows Phone—BB 10 just can't get here soon enough. But when asked why they purchased the phone, since it's a probably dying company and definitively behind the times, the answers were all something along the lines of, “because BlackBerrys are cool!”

Has RIM pulled one over our eyes? Is the BlackBerry brand alive and well among the “common folk,” despite the hardware being the laughing stock of geeks everywhere? Perhaps this is this some lingering ObamaBerry fever, though that would certainly seem to only cover the US, if that. Setting RIM's obscenely rapid decay aside, I'd love to hear everybody's thoughts on this—it certainly made me stop and think.

[RIM via BlackBerry Empire]

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tags
rim