android
Old 05-31-2012, 11:29 AM

Hello folks. as yo know my nick name suggedts that i love classical music.
I also like rock but from the 60's 70's.

There's a bunch of reports/articles/studies made that dangerous levels of iPods/mp3 players making young people go deaf due to the high volumes.

I have a condition called unilateral hearing loss, is not funny to be able to hear well on one ear and have the other crippled.

I don't know why i have this, and i never went to an audiologist, but for sure i listen to my iPod safely using Headphones in general, i never go past "10" in sony walkman volume control.

I am trying to recall if when i was a kid i used to listen at high volumes, my mom says so

I refrain you from removing your IEMS in noisy environments, i did that yesterday by misjudgement of the vacuum cleaner noise

and it's been since that day and i have a tinnitus on my affected ear by the unilateral hearing loss.

Tinnitus is that annoying hight pitched ringing in your ears, like a tuning fork always sounding

My hearing on my left ear requieres approx 5 on a walkman volume to listen.
In contrast with my right ear it needs half of the volume of a walkman or 16.

I can't hear high frequencies and mids, most classical music relies on those, bach violin partiten und sonaten, mozart. i can hear lows well

so to give you folks an idea of how i hear, left i hear well the whole spectrum

right i hear like i was in a room adjacent to the music, like kind of a muffled sound, imagine Haydns keyboard works on a harpsichord and you can hear only what left portion of the keyboard is playing, TUM TUM TRRTUUUM TTUM and wonder wehere's the higher freqs?

I have heard that hearing loss is not reversible, i should have had checked it on time.

So please refrain think Twice BEFORE JAMMING THE VOLUME + KNOB/BUTTON UP, being half deaf is no fun. Play it safe

I think the possible theories of my hearing loss is:
a) premature birth and blindnes in left eye, whata coincidence. Blind eye good hearing, functioning right eye, semi-deaf right ear
b) My house paint materials, displays like colorful brittling, possibly lead poisoning
c)noisy surroundings, high traffic
d)childhood loud headphones use, despite i can't recall this one i don't remember either having an infection

How much does an audiometrics costs in your country to give me an idea how much it costs

Thanks folks for thsi great forum of audio and again PLAY IT SAFE

I was surfing wikipedia for unilateral hearing loss and other scary causes is an acoustic neuroma [nerve cancer]

Last edited by skip252; 05-31-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: posts merged, please edit consecutive post instead of multiposting

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-31-2012, 11:45 AM

Don’t know if there’s an app for your iPod classic but if there is you should consider it. Or a rockboxable player next time around so you can use pan to adjust your right/left balance. As you stated listening at low volumes is a good idea and the best advice would be to see an ear doctor to hear his recommendations.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 05-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I thought I had hearing loss in one ear too...then I realized my wife always sat on that side. Now she is an ex-wife and my hearing is great.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
I thought I had hearing loss in one ear too...then I realized my wife always sat on that side. Now she is an ex-wife and my hearing is great.
That is too funny.

In all seriousness though, do be careful. It's easy to crank the volume up in noisy environments, although that usually doesn't apply to me. I listened to music too loud as a kid and as a result my right ear isn't great, but nothing this serious. . .

Old 05-31-2012, 01:19 PM

I'm quite worried about my ears, and I think I'll be going to an audiologist.
I feel it's stereo sound, but I've quite recently found that my left ear picks up mids much more than my right ear - now is that due to stereo sound or is it my ears, I don't know

EDIT:
Although with headphones + speakers I have no problems.

My ABI Feedback thread

Last edited by TotallydubbedHD; 06-04-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This is gross but I have heard of more than one person that had single ear issues benefiting from a professional cleaning. I have seen some pretty severe wax impactions.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
a) premature birth and blindnes in left eye, whata coincidence. Blind eye good hearing, functioning right eye, semi-deaf right ear
Well the eye-nerves cross, so the nerve of the left eye goes to the right hemisphere and the eye-right nerve to the left hemisphere. Maybe that makes sense?

But anyway I feel for you.. I have something similar, my right ear doesn't pickup low frequencys too well... and it's mostly annoying with my Hippo VB IEMs because they have a powerful low bass response. I don't use them anymore because it frustrates me.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:51 PM

I think is an ear wx impaction, my mom administered drops of oxygen peroxid and i am beggining to recover high freqs

Don't ask since when i do an internal ear cleaning ewwww

Old 06-01-2012, 09:07 PM

Smokey can fix you right up . . .

Old 06-23-2012, 02:15 PM

My father is a physician, and routinely clears clogged ears from people who thought they were nearly deaf. When my son was 5 yrs old, he cleared a ball of wax the size of a gum drop from one of his ears. The drops you buy in the pharmacy are good for preventative cleaning, or to soften the wax prior to a doctor removing the bulk of it. I held a pan under my son's ear, and my father used a one of those large chrome syringe type devices to pump water in and out of the ear until the large gob came out. It's gross and messy, but he has patients walk out saying, "I CAN HEAR!"

Old 06-23-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
My father is a physician, and routinely clears clogged ears from people who thought they were nearly deaf. When my son was 5 yrs old, he cleared a ball of wax the size of a gum drop from one of his ears. The drops you buy in the pharmacy are good for preventative cleaning, or to soften the wax prior to a doctor removing the bulk of it. I held a pan under my son's ear, and my father used a one of those large chrome syringe type devices to pump water in and out of the ear until the large gob came out. It's gross and messy, but he has patients walk out saying, "I CAN HEAR!"
that's an amazing story !
Glad to hear it!
Literally.

My ABI Feedback thread

Old 06-23-2012, 02:48 PM

You can watch it being done here (in French):

Wait until 3:00 to see the large portion of wax removed. It's routine, and takes just a few minutes to restore hearing if wax is the problem.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ugh!!! TMI,...

Old 06-24-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
You can watch it being done here (in French):
But why would we want to?

Old 06-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

you think that one was bad? find one of the microscoped scrapes.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
But why would we want to?
So that people can see it's a quick and painless procedure. I don't know whether regular headphone users are more at risk for wax impaction, but pushing an IEM in your ear on a regular basis might.