android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 05-29-2012, 08:12 PM

Default New To J3, requesting help with transfering files and tags

FULL DISCLOUSURE: I used to own an iPod mini and an iPod nano. Please don't hold this against me.

Almost all of my music is in un-protected .aac format. When I drag and drop the files into my player, the transfer goes smoothly, but the tags and album art don't transfer over. When I browse by artist, then album, the tracks are displayed in alphabetic order, not in track order.

I can rip the music from my CDs into .mp3 format, but I'd rather not since I've got over 1200 songs.

Does anyone know of an easy fix for this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-29-2012, 08:25 PM

Welcome to ABI.

The album art issue can most likely be solved by sorting your tracks by album and then have the cover art in a file called folder.jpg.

According to this thread, the track order issue is a known problem. Not sure if it's resolved.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:03 PM

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I'm doing this the hard way...

Old 05-30-2012, 04:23 AM

zaphod_209, are you transferring your AAC files to the J3 through the MTP or MSC Protocol? It's hard for me to understand how copying the music to the J3 can wipe the tag data inside the music files.

I can suggest you try re-tag some of your AAC files with software such as MP3tag and see if that fixes your issue. If not, EL_C's approach may be the way to go.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 AM

As far as official J3 documentation, AAC is not an officially Cowon-supported music file format. But apparently is "does work".

I suspect you're on your own here.

There are certainly known reported issues with proper tag support for other supported formats (e.g. WMA), so secretly-supported AAC is probably questionable.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urne View Post
zaphod_209, are you transferring your AAC files to the J3 through the MTP or MSC Protocol? It's hard for me to understand how copying the music to the J3 can wipe the tag data inside the music files.

I can suggest you try re-tag some of your AAC files with software such as MP3tag and see if that fixes your issue. If not, EL_C's approach may be the way to go.

I checked the settings and it's in MSC mode, but I'm not sure what that means.

The lyrics aren't showing up ether.

I'm using firmware version 2.23. I'm going to try and update it and see if that does anything.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urne View Post
Loss of at least imbedded album art from tags while transferring music files to the J3 in MTP mode is a long-known problem.

See this thread on iaudiophile from back in 2010, which I myself confirmed (because it seemed so improbable, and yet it was true).

Firmware problem, obviously.

But again, any issues regarding the officially unsupported AAC file format will probably meet with deaf ears from Cowon even if reported.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El C View Post
The album art issue can most likely be solved by sorting your tracks by album and then have the cover art in a file called folder.jpg.
This is incorrect.

Unlike many Windows-based media player programs (e.g. Winamp), the J3 does NOT recognize "folder.jpg" as the external name of the album art image file to be used when collecting music files for a single album in a single physical folder... used specifically as a "default" when there is no overriding imbedded album art in the tag of the music file.

For the J3, you must use "cover.jpg" (not "folder.jpg") to accomplish this result.

Note that almost universally the Windows programs which support "folder.jpg" for this purpose also support "cover.jpg". Unfortunately, the J3 only supports "cover.jpg".

Old 05-31-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
This is incorrect.

Unlike many Windows-based media player programs (e.g. Winamp), the J3 does NOT recognize "folder.jpg" as the external name of the album art image file to be used when collecting music files for a single album in a single physical folder... used specifically as a "default" when there is no overriding imbedded album art in the tag of the music file.

For the J3, you must use "cover.jpg" (not "folder.jpg") to accomplish this result.

Note that almost universally the Windows programs which support "folder.jpg" for this purpose also support "cover.jpg". Unfortunately, the J3 only supports "cover.jpg".
Thanks for that heads up, I realized that folder.jpg wasn't working yesterday when I was transferring some files.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:42 PM

This is very strange and very infurating.

I'm using .mp3 format and I'm still having problems with the tags. The tags show up on my computer for the duplicates on the hard drive. The tags show up when I look at the files on the J3 using Windows.

For some reason that is beyond me (I'm about ready to pull my hair out on this one) the J3 will not read the tags for some of the files. When I browse by artist, a few of the songs will get filed into an album labeled "Unknown"

Old 06-11-2012, 08:55 AM

What's the contributing artist set to?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp-j3 View Post
What's the contributing artist set to?
Um...

That's an excellent question.

Some of the ones that were screwing up were cover songs such as "Viva Las Vegas" covered by The Dead Kennedys and "I Will Survive" covered by CAKE.

I'll look into it and get back to you.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:01 AM

Sometimes I have problems with tags. I found this little freeware program which will scan your files and tell you if they have a problem. One click and they're fixed! You can then tag them properly with your favorite piece of software.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:40 AM
Administrator

MP3Val wasn't designed to report this type of tag problem. MP3Val reports on problems with information in some types of MPEG frames that might prevent them from decoding properly. http://mp3val.sourceforge.net/docs/manual.html

A track numbering or ordering problem like this one wouldn't fall into what it would report or fix. Mp3Tag would be a better choice for trying to get the J3 to sort the files the way zaphod_209 prefers.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:19 AM

@skip252, odd, some of my files had tags and/or album art problems and Mp3Val fixed them.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Administrator

If MP3Val fixed those type problems it must be an undocumented feature. Saying it fixed "tags and/or album art problems" isn't very specific. What was the error message that was given and what did MP3Val report as being fixed?

If it does more than what's listed in the documentation that would be a plus. Until it can be specified what that is I still believe MP3Tag is the better option for the type tagging issues being dealt with here.

Mp3Tag has a consistent track record of being able to write or rewrite tags for MP3 files and is still in active development. I'd recommend that over an undocumented feature no one else knows about in a software that hasn't been updated in several years.

Tags
album art, noob, tags