android
Old 12-16-2009, 08:56 PM

Default RE0 vs Hippo VB?

Recently i've been checking out a lot of reviews in search of the best possible IEM under 100$ for some reason the RE0 and Hippo VB have caught my attention. They both had some good reviews and they both have the same price tag.

I was hoping someone could help me decide which one is better or suggest a better IEM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-16-2009, 11:57 PM

I can't help with with any info on the two you mentioned, but I have to say, I'm liking my Etymotic ER-6is'.

Check 'em out.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:31 AM

I remember dfkt thinking VERY highly of the Hippo VBs. I'd give them a closer look, try to find his review on here.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:26 AM

RE0 - Great treble with good bass

Hippo VB - Great bass with good treble

Its up to personal taste.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

if you love bass, then get Hippo VB

Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 AM

thanks everyone, so how does the hippo vb do in the clarity/precision department? Because i like my bass and i own a pair of sony iem xb20ex (exta bass) but to me it sounds like the extra bass pushes the vocals farther away and the bass sometimes distorts a tiny bit on the left side which is kind of annoying

So i guess what im looking for is an iem with overall clarity/precision with a little above average tight/precise bass. Do you think the hippo vb or possibly the re0 can deliver that?

The precision/clarity of the re0 ive read about in reviews sounds awesome but im afraid it will lack a little bass for my taste.
And the hippo vb has been described as warm. Does that mean it is less precise/clear?

Edit: and by the way I listen to a lot of hip hop but I also like my fair share of rock/dance/house. I'm not looking for super "big" as in huge quantity of bass, what im looking for is tight bass

Last edited by Kt_; 12-17-2009 at 07:23 AM.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kt_ View Post
thanks everyone, so how does the hippo vb do in the clarity/precision department? Because i like my bass and i own a pair of sony iem xb20ex (exta bass) but to me it sounds like the extra bass pushes the vocals farther away and the bass sometimes distorts a tiny bit on the left side which is kind of annoying

So i guess what im looking for is an iem with overall clarity/precision with a little above average tight/precise bass. Do you think the hippo vb or possibly the re0 can deliver that?

The precision/clarity of the re0 ive read about in reviews sounds awesome but im afraid it will lack a little bass for my taste.
And the hippo vb has been described as warm. Does that mean it is less precise/clear?

Edit: and by the way I listen to a lot of hip hop but I also like my fair share of rock/dance/house. I'm not looking for super "big" as in huge quantity of bass, what im looking for is tight bass

I would prescribe a set of RE0's to fix your needs.
The RE0's don't lack bass, its just that the Hippo VBs have an unnaturally large amount of it.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The RE0 are quite rolled off in the lowest octave, same as the SE530 and similar phones. The VB go down into the real sub-bass regions. So I would say the RE0 do lack (real) bass.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The RE0 are quite rolled off in the lowest octave, same as the SE530 and similar phones. The VB go down into the real sub-bass regions. So I would say the RE0 do lack (real) bass.
Ok so i;ve decided to take your advice and I ordered the Hippo Vb's from jaben. At this point im pretty confident this is the sound im looking for. Only thing im worried about is that the hippo vb looks kinda big and im afraid its going to stick out of my ear too much and look weird.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

They're not that big, and they're very comfortable to wear, at least for my ears. Compared to the Super.Fi and Triple.Fi they're tiny.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
They're not that big, and they're very comfortable to wear, at least for my ears. Compared to the Super.Fi and Triple.Fi they're tiny.
alright! sounds good I'll be eagerly anticipating their delivery

Old 12-19-2009, 07:10 PM

hmm its easy . if u seek hifi quality , ballance and high resolution details RE0 will blowu ur mind. if u preffer MEGA BASS and electronic music and u dont seek quality treble then get HIPPO VB but i am warning u hippo vb treble and high mid has sibilance presented in whole spectrum which causes very low resolution as result. dont worry that re0 lacks bass. after burn in 100+ hours they will get totally ok.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The difference between the two isn't anything as huge as you make them out to be.

The RE0 have more midbass hump and roll off in the deepest octave, the VB have plenty of deep bass with an astonishing lack of midbass bloat. The RE0 have slightly more refined treble than the VB, but not that much. Midrange and soundstage is about equal on both. Both are good phones for their price range, just a matter of preference.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
The difference between the two isn't anything as huge as you make them out to be.

The RE0 have more midbass hump and roll off in the deepest octave, the VB have plenty of deep bass with an astonishing lack of midbass bloat. The RE0 have slightly more refined treble than the VB, but not that much. Midrange and soundstage is about equal on both. Both are good phones for their price range, just a matter of preference.
thanks for clearing that up, by the way I was wondering if anyone know how long it takes for an order from jaben to get to Europe. (im curious/impatient :P)
*Edit: nvm found the answer in this thread http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50045

Last edited by Kt_; 12-19-2009 at 09:42 PM.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:22 AM

Hmmm Europe.

I live In California near L.A..and it took 2 weeks and 2 days to ship over here. Iuno if that's any help lol...well it's worth the wait trust me :] i've had mine for about a week and I'm liking them more every day

Old 12-20-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post
Hmmm Europe.

I live In California near L.A..and it took 2 weeks and 2 days to ship over here. Iuno if that's any help lol...well it's worth the wait trust me :] i've had mine for about a week and I'm liking them more every day
haha alright then =D

Old 12-21-2009, 10:40 AM

Just got my RE0's, I have to say they sound pretty friggin' good with my D2.
Though they are less bassy than my CX95, their mids and highs are way better.
The thing is, when I got the 95s i started using them right away, and I wanna do the "burn-in" process with this pair. How do I do that?

Old 12-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goenitz View Post
The thing is, when I got the 95s i started using them right away, and I wanna do the "burn-in" process with this pair. How do I do that?
Don't "burn" your phones in, just enjoy them.

Here's my take on the whole forced "burn in" belief system:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=36345
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=38373
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5631625-post2080.html
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...ml#post6236784
etc.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 AM

I don't know why people "burn-in" their phones. It destroys all the fun.

What I personally like is to follow the sound's evolution, the phone gives me.

I believe it's mostly a psychological thing, but maybe there is a little difference over time. A subtle one in my limited experience.

Just enjoy your music and thank yourself for not having a regular cheap iPod earbud.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:26 PM

I read your topics and you sound reasonable. Looking back, I enjoyed the evolution of my Senns, and I think I'll like doing the same with these.
Just one more question:
With the CX95, my listening volume on the D2 was around 17/40 (19, 20 tops when I was in a noisy environment). Using the RE0, I had to go up to 22 to get what I had at 17 previously. What does this mean? Does this pair need more power, like a headphone amp?