android
Old 04-30-2012, 09:49 PM

Default IEM's for running / Jogging

Hi All.
Feel free to point me to a thread that may already exist, alkthough I could not find one. (Doesn't help with this site doesn;t renbder well at work (no images are displayed?)

I;ve a habbit of misplacing my headphones so budget wise I'm looking at the $50 mark.

My previous IEM was a MEElectonics (can't remeber the type) but had memory wire and was over the ear.

This style I like as it helps preventing wire bouncing on the body, which then travels to the ear. I'm not sure if this is because of the memory wire or being over the ear.

I enjoy base tones, and warm mids (but not heavy base) which at first the earphones did not produce, but changing to a different rubber tip sorted this, and also prevented the earphone popping out from sweat.

So, was seeing if there's anything else there that can be recomeended?

Cheers

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-01-2012, 01:20 AM

To update
So far Sennheiser CX380 sport II or the MEElectronics Sport-Fi S6 might be the go.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I personally only use earbuds or light headphones when jogging or cycling. Bone conduction (Hearing every footstep as a *whoomp*whoomp*whoomp*~ sound) is far more annoying especially when jogging compared to a little bit of wind and so on. I mean you still hear it nonetheless but it feels more emphasized with IEMs on

Really like the older Sennheiser MX sports earbuds, the locking horn at the top of the earbud works really well for my ears.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:20 AM

I find that small IEMs with Comply tips tend to minimize the bone conduction issue. With this said, I'd never use IEMs for jogging or cycling because:
-too much isolation is dangerous when out and about, particularly in a city
-IEMs that completely cover up your ear canals might cause excessive sweating. this may lead to larger wax buildup and/or infection

Instead, my headphone of choice for jogging and cycling is the Koss PortaPro. It is open and lets both outside noise and the air through and therefore I can be sure that I won't miss that car coming my way that is about to kill me, and my ears don't sweat a lot. Additionally, the warm sound signature of the PortaPro is appropriate for noisy environments which tend to drown out bass the most. They are also very cheap so I'm not worried too much about damaging them.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:42 AM
Administrator

Safety is a matter of awareness that isn't limited to hearing. How do you think deaf people walk, run, and cycle everyday without getting killed?

I wear IEMs and other headphones that block my hearing and avoid vehicles easily. I've learned to increase my visual awareness and remain uninjured in a very busy city.

A related thread with some suggestions on headphones for running and thoughts on safety is here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=54839

Last edited by skip252; 05-01-2012 at 04:49 AM.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Safety is a matter of awareness that isn't limited to hearing. How do you think deaf people walk, run, and cycle everyday without getting killed?

I wear IEMs and other headphones that block my hearing and avoid vehicles easily. I've learned to increase my visual awareness and remain uninjured in a very busy city.

A related thread with some suggestions on headphones for running and thoughts on safety is here http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=54839
It is not limited to hearing but you can't argue that being able to hear impending dangers can have a positive impact on safety. By relying solely on your visual awareness, you are still taking a bigger risk than if you also were able to hear what is happening around you. This risk is naturally yours to take...

Personally, I do use IEMs for walking around and commuting in the city; however, when I'm involved in an active form of exercise (jogging, cycling), my attention is already compromised by the fact that I am tired. To me personally, this is too much of a risk.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
...They are also very cheap so I'm not worried too much about damaging them.
Not to mention the lifetime limited warranty which is pretty nice, and you can actually get spare ear pads for them in most places that sell porta-pro's, at least over here.

Quote:
It is not limited to hearing but you can't argue that being able to hear impending dangers can have a positive impact on safety.
Yup, its also another thing to strip (*Edit* or rather greatly reduce) yourself of a form of awareness that you've become used to. Blind/Deaf people spend a considerable amount of time getting used to their disabilities- its not a given.

Last edited by Jack4L; 05-01-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
… I'd never use IEMs for jogging or cycling because:
-too much isolation is dangerous when out and about, particularly in a city
-IEMs that completely cover up your ear canals might cause excessive sweating. this may lead to larger wax buildup and/or infection …
I learned long ago that biking is a defensive sport, later on in life riding a motorcycle with a very good isolating helmet it became more evident. All this before the small portable music players we have today. So I’ve been using high isolating IEMs/customs for biking and outdoor activities within and around our city for a long time now without ever one issue. While I’ve seen others without a portable music player cross the street and get killed by a car. Safety is different for all of us and one needs to know their personal limitations before partaking in any risky activity.

Regarding your second point I believe it’s only your assumption. In the tropical warm weather of Florida they do not cause me any more or less sweating and certainly not within my ears. We all differ when it comes to wax build up and I do not get any more or any less during IEM/custom use. From my experience some people naturally have a higher degree of wax build up than others with or without IEM use. That said, I have noticed that excessive scuba diving does cause me to get excessive wax build up. Out of curiosity I'll pose this question to my ear doctor the next time I visit to see what he says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post

I wear IEMs and other headphones that block my hearing and avoid vehicles easily. I've learned to increase my visual awareness and remain uninjured in a very busy city. …
While I agree 100% with the points you make and I also wear IEMs that offer me a high level of isolation while biking or outdoor activities. I believe it’s understandable that there are some people who can not. For what ever reason they do not have the ability to avoid danger, maybe they get distracted with the music, who knows why but we’re all different

Quote:
It is not limited to hearing but you can't argue that being able to hear impending dangers can have a positive impact on safety. By relying solely on your visual awareness, you are still taking a bigger risk than if you also were able to hear what is happening around you. This risk is naturally yours to take...
I don’t think it’s a matter of arguing if it’s safe or not but rather a personal choice that one makes knowing their personal limitations. It's beliefs like yours that cause politicians to pass laws against using IEMs within the City. Some of us just can’t do things that are considered risky by others but not by the person doing the activity because of their experience and understanding of their personal limitations. For example would you think it safe to swim on the north shore of Oahu Hawaii at Pipeline beach when the waves are 30 feet plus? To jump off cliffs in Mexico high above the Pacific sea in shallow water? To drive a motorcycle with a helmet that blocks out ambient noise? While all these activities might be considered risky by some people, others do them every day because they know their personal limitations and have the experience to pull them off. That said, we all have personal limitations and I would not recommend anyone to do anything that they are uncomfortable doing.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I learned long ago that biking is a defensive sport, later on in life riding a motorcycle with a very good isolating helmet it became more evident. All this before the small portable music players we have today. So I’ve been using high isolating IEMs/customs for biking and outdoor activities within and around our city for a long time now without ever one issue. While I’ve seen others without a portable music player cross the street and get killed by a car. Safety is different for all of us and one needs to know their personal limitations before partaking in any risky activity.

Regarding your second point I believe it’s only your assumption. In the tropical warm weather of Florida they do not cause me any more or less sweating and certainly not within my ears. We all differ when it comes to wax build up and I do not get any more or any less during IEM/custom use. From my experience some people naturally have a higher degree of wax build up than others with or without IEM use. That said, I have noticed that excessive scuba diving does cause me to get excessive wax build up. Out of curiosity I'll pose this question to my ear doctor the next time I visit to see what he says.

I don’t think it’s a matter of arguing if it’s safe or not but rather a personal choice that one makes knowing their personal limitations. It's beliefs like yours that cause politicians to pass laws against using IEMs within the City. Some of us just can’t do things that are considered risky by others but not by the person doing the activity because of their experience and understanding of their personal limitations. For example would you think it safe to swim on the north shore of Oahu Hawaii at Pipeline beach when the waves are 30 feet plus? To jump off cliffs in Mexico high above the Pacific sea in shallow water? To drive a motorcycle with a helmet that blocks out ambient noise? While all these activities might be considered risky by some people, others do them every day because they know their personal limitations and have the experience to pull them off. That said, we all have personal limitations and I would not recommend anyone to do anything that they are uncomfortable doing.
I'd like to point out that I was consistently stating my own experience and approach to IEMs in the public sphere. I also tried to make it clear that this is a personal choice and I am fine with whatever choice someone makes...
Also, I happen to have an issue with wax buildup and with infections. I realize this is not a universal affliction, but it may affect other people.

I don't believe IEMs should be banned in the city, it is well within the rights of an individual to choose how much of their safety they want to risk (and yes, the amount of risk is relative on an individual basis). With this said, that stripping oneself of the sense of hearing entirely is not as safe as being able to hear is not really an opinion. It is a fact. It is then up to you if you believe you are able to make up for this loss with visual awareness or increased concentration. For the sake of the safety of IEM users, I sincerely hope they understand and respect their limitations properly.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Dear god we really are just like a bad record on this subject matter aren't we?
(Just read that old thread that skip posted)

Anyway since I didn't provide a IEM recommendation, and nobody else has, even though there's plenty of discussion in favor of them, here's one: I like using my Phonak Audéo's for running on treadmills or on a circuit. Get almost none of the bone condution on the treadmills at my gym or on the smooth circuit tracks since they are "kind of" padded i guess? Theres no specific reason for using the Audéos other then the fact that they are worn over the ear. I think thats really the most important feature, then maybe actually having a streamlined body (The Phonaks do not have this!) for reduced wind noise and possibly using foam tips like Jupitreas mentioned.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Administrator

How perceptive of you,Jack4L! I thought I remembered that thread falling off with no really good recommendations so I linked to it. The OP has all ready stated that they use IEMs and asked for suggestions for new ones. It would seem they understand the risks so maybe we could let that part go and suggest some IEMs that fit their criteria.

A set of kramer modded Marshmallows have been one of my favorite workout IEMs since that thread I linked. The set I use as an alternate is the Senn CX200. Not the CX300.

Neither is great by any means but with the internal noises created by my activities I find I can't really appreciate much of a difference between those and other more expensive ones I'd rather not sweat on. Not bad sounding at all, just not great.

The Senn CX200 sound is better to my ears than the Marshmallows when I'm at rest. When I'm out chugging along I can't hear as much difference but there is some.

The have a balanced yoke that lets me wear them over ears and don't seem don't have the wind noises I have with my CX 300. With that and a cable clip snugged under my chin or behind my head they stay in place with no worries about them moving during my workouts. They have less bass than the CX 300 but in a positive way. They still provide a solid thump without the mud bleeding into the mids the way the CX 300 do.

I also kramer mod those and use Heady's IEM ear tip mod to create hybrid disposable foam tips. Whenever the foam in the tube or the eartips get dirty replacing them is dead cheap. I rinse them after each use and keep the cables wiped down and they have been amazingly durable. Probably alternating them has helped with the durability.

Last edited by skip252; 05-01-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:12 AM

skip, I never replied back in 2010 so I thought I’d make my feelings known by throwing in my two cents

Back on topic
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagess View Post
… I'm looking at the $50 mark. … ... I enjoy base tones, and warm mids (but not heavy base) which at first the earphones did not produce, but changing to a different rubber tip sorted this, and also prevented the earphone popping out from sweat. …
Reading the sound signature you like, if you can find the A151s for under $45.00 I think they’d fit your sound signature needs very well. They’re designed to wear over the ear but they do not have memory wire, although I guess you could add it or an ear guide if that was to your liking. I just wear mine over my ears and tighten the clinch up to the back of my neck. I use mine for all kinds of outdoor activities like biking, skateboarding, etc. The cables are so light that there is no cable microphonics produced when wearing over the ear and down the inside of your t-shirt. I do not remember trying them on the outside of my shirt but since the cable is super light, my guess is that there would hardly be much if any at all.

What I like best about their sound signature is that they are very accurate with good clarity, fast tempo and have a nice texture to the sound. Many say they’re a little warm with great midrange but they still sound nice from the lows to highs with very good detail. Many times I've seen them cheaper and at any price below 45.00 they are an excellent deal.

*BTW I do not use the included tips with mine

Old 05-01-2012, 04:59 PM

Thanks guys.
Yep been running / jogging a long time with IEM's so far no incident or near incident.
I'll still check what's been offered.

I live in northern parts fof Australia where it gets quiote humid, and also ride a thumper dirt bike to work, so IEM's while running aren't so much of an issue for me. QUite use to them..

Old 05-01-2012, 05:12 PM

You might not be able to find some of the recommendations in Australia and it might not be worth it to import in that range. It might be worth to list a few of the local models that you’ve looked at to see if anyone on abi can recommend back if they own them.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
You might not be able to find some of the recommendations in Australia and it might not be worth it to import in that range. It might be worth to list a few of the local models that you’ve looked at to see if anyone on abi can recommend back if they own them.
That's not a problem, I do most shopping via internet, and also use parcel forwarders for when shipping to Australia is not done...

Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The cheap JVC Riptidz are excellent for exercise. They're cheap, highly sweat resistant, comfortable, and did I mention cheap? Oh, and the sq is pretty good for what you'll be using them for. I have 'em, and my wife swiped my backup set.

http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelI...hId=162&page=1

As for safety, it's up to the individual in the end. I'm sorry if if been judgmental in the past. I have no right to do so,...

Now, I hope you find the right iem. And, I hope the Riptidz work for you.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I know these aren't IEM's, but I can't run wearing IEM's. So, I ordered these, since they work better for my needs. Behind the neck, I can hear traffic, and comfortable: New Balance NB464B Foldable Sport Headphones

Old 05-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The riptidz is very good, however for running and jogging where there is traffic, I suggest using something open, and keeping the volume low. The JVC HA-EB75 earbuds with earhooks sounds quite good and won't fall off your ears. It is often under $10.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:10 PM

I use the mx85 sennheisers, perfect for running!

Old 05-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The MX85 is probably good, but it is $74.95! Is it that much better than the JVC HA-EB75 which is just $8.18? I was surprised at how good the HA-EB75 sounds, much better than my expectations. Sennheiser stuff has gotten too expensive in the US.
JVC is putting out some great stuff under $20.

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAEB75B-Sp...7726663&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-MX8...7726372&sr=1-1