android
Old 05-23-2012, 07:56 PM

Help 4.1 inch Ipod Touch??

Hey guys I know this forum is for SGPs but since it is a direct competitor to the ipod touch I decided to post this. According to macrumors apple is planning on releasing a 4.1 inch Ipod Touch. Does this change anything for you guys or are you still going to stick with the SGPs.

The only thing that the Ipod Touch would have going for it if the 4.1 inch version was released is the screen. While the SGP will still have the replaceable battery, stereo speakers, expandable memory, gps, fm radio, and etc. Unless they decide to incorporate these things in the new ipod touch because they dont want anyone else competing in this market

Heres the article
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/22/...one-5-cameras/

Last edited by lollicup04; 05-23-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You funny,...

Old 05-23-2012, 08:38 PM

if its true then at least apple has finally learned to grow with the bigger screen trend and Its about time, but no I still would NEVER switch, expandable storage at lower cost is the key seller for me.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, since I'm personally not too fond of Android, I'd consider the larger screened iPod touch. I hate the small screen, same as the iPhone I had - I sold them both!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
if its true then at least apple has finally learned to grow with the bigger screen trend and Its about time, but no I still would NEVER switch, expandable storage at lower cost is the key seller for me.
I agree , If you grab the 4.0 at the current Amazon price of $140 and buy a 64gb micro SD (Fully functional, Readable, and Formatted after in Galaxy Player as 59gb) from Amazon as well for $70 - which I did - You are looking at a 65gb Galaxy Player for $210.
[59gb Formatted memory on MicroSD w/ 6GB internal on Galaxy Player]

Find me a 64gb ipod Touch NEW for less than $210 and then I'll buy that over the Galaxy Player
Cheapest I found a 64gb ipod touch 4th generation costs $312, that's a $100 more than I'm willing to pay now.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

For me it isn't just about price, it's the functionality. Rooting shouldn't be a "necessity", updates shouldn't be a crapshoot to see if you'll ever even get them, and constant fragmentation sux.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollicup04 View Post
Hey guys I know this forum is for SGPs but since it is a direct competitor to the ipod touch I decided to post this. According to macrumors apple is planning on releasing a 4.1 inch Ipod Touch. Does this change anything for you guys or are you still going to stick with the SGPs.[/url]
Excuse me but look at the site name! anything BUT ipod

Old 05-23-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
For me it isn't just about price, it's the functionality. Rooting shouldn't be a "necessity", updates shouldn't be a crapshoot to see if you'll ever even get them, and constant fragmentation sux.
Android Fragmentation and updates (if devices get updates or not) is something that urks me a bit too (though ICS is my absolute favorite version of Android). I just can't fathom spending over $300+ to get a 64gb model of an Ipod Touch - plus Waiting minutes on end to "sync my library" on music or video transfers, drag and drop has been my favorite. I had the original 80gb Zune and it's software syncing (which took a long time and was sometimes wrong in grabbing id3 data or covers) put me off big time of an apple device whatsoever.

Maybe it's because I've been using Android's OS so long and have gotten use to it - it really allowed me to easily transition from a windows pc, the interface is really similar with widgets as well. I guess it's personal preference... for the record- I haven't rooted or used a custom rom on any of my android devices I've owned. Themes and different custom UI's can really change a device sometimes, you should know TDS - Kizune taught us that !

@emfa : Don't worry, I hopped in as a mediator (don't confuse that as moderator), you still got Android and Flash UI fans here my friend !

Last edited by da1writer; 05-23-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 PM

I wouldn't buy the iPod Touch - as there are many things I don't like about Apple products (some mentioned already). But I'll give Apple credit over Samsung for one reason - they actually release the effin' products in Canada. Samsung (and MS for that matter) seem to wait till the product is end-of-life before dumping them onto the Canadian market.

I've seen hundreds and hundreds of iPod Touches in use - I see them every single day. The number of Galaxy Players and Zune HDs I've seen thus far - zero.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@da1writer: It's all good,...it's all about what makes you happy!!! And, I do like ICS,...and my wife will love her new Tab 7.0 Plus in a few days!!!

I just hope Samsung gets the ICS update out before all my hair turns grey!!!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
I wouldn't buy the iPod Touch - as there are many things I don't like about Apple products (some mentioned already). But I'll give Apple credit over Samsung for one reason - they actually release the effin' products in Canada. Samsung (and MS for that matter) seem to wait till the product is end-of-life before dumping them onto the Canadian market.

I've seen hundreds and hundreds of iPod Touches in use - I see them every single day. The number of Galaxy Players and Zune HDs I've seen thus far - zero.
I kinda like being different myself, I know all these people with ipod touchs and I show them mine and explain the ways in which its BETTER and get to then watch them ogle it. Its nice NOT being like everyone else, and I in someway customize everything I have eventually to make it my own and unlike any other.
I beat to my own drum (the cost effective method, LOL).

Old 05-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emfa View Post
Excuse me but look at the site name! anything BUT ipod
ABi is based around exploring alternatives. To know if an iPod or a competitor is the best alternative you need to know the capabilities of both. That means iPods, iPhones and Touches get discussed here.

If someone decides an Apple product is best for them that's what they should get. If we got rid of all the iDevice owners here we'd have to shut down. Most of the regulars here have something by Apple.

If they need support the iLounge would be the place to go. If someone wants to talk about the capabilities of a Touch vs a Samsung or other Android device this would be a good place for that imo.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:43 AM

There are 2 things, that are total cons for me (I have an ipod touch and want to have an android as my next device).
-no microSD-slot
-iTunes
and mybe the weak hardware such as RAM and CPU (the current ipod).

BUT iTunes is the absolute joy killer. You will hate this whenever you want to update the OS or putting stuff on it. Music and Videos works, but the rest has to be sync. And you can never be sure whether iTunes deletes the stuff on your ipod or on your PC.
Oh and you have to confirm that you've read the change of terms and conditions almost every 2 weeks, when you want to use the appstore

Old 05-24-2012, 07:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natkingcole View Post
There are 2 things, that are total cons for me (I have an ipod touch and want to have an android as my next device).
-no microSD-slot
-iTunes
and mybe the weak hardware such as RAM and CPU (the current ipod).
The RAM and CPU "weakness" is offset somewhat by the iOS being totally optimized for said hardware. My 4th-gen Touch is pretty impressive, asides from the small screen.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:28 AM

Why would increasing the screen from miniscule to small change anything? Perhaps apple is very slowly catiching on that a device which is larger than a matchbook may have some market appeal. Problem is they are so uber-focussed on maximum profit that they will not even produce two flavors or sizes to give consumers a choice. They make ONE product...buy it and shut up. Appall's whole philosophy rubs me the wrong way.

It's like asking a Democrat if Republicans continue trying to kill equal rights, campaign finance reform, handgun control, education funding, affordable health care, financial regulation of banks and financial institutions, the Constitution as we have known it and protection of the environment, but now appear to support limiting banks from charging fees on certain types of credit cards...will that change my vote in November?

As the other dude said, "you funny!"

Why would you pay top dollar for hardware and an environment that controlled every move you wanted to make and charged you for everything?

Course' it's your money and time, so knock yourself out.
Is my bias showing? yes...but then again, look at the name of this site. You came into the wrong bar, friend.
;-)

Old 05-28-2012, 06:59 AM

why would you go for Apple? (Just an opinion guys, if it suits you best go for it)
Why indeed go for a device with no expandable memory etc. (all the points everybody has pointed out before)

It's like the George Michael song. Freedom!!! Don't tell me what I can and can't do on my own device.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:41 AM

I would buy an ipod if it comes out with a bigger screen and in 128gb models.

Sorry, but android sux on pmps - it's like 2 year old hardware without the phone bits, what's the point in that? Just get a phone with ICS like my Galaxy S2 which, although old now, is way ahead of any of the pmp garbage.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
I would buy an ipod if it comes out with a bigger screen and in 128gb models.

Sorry, but android sux on pmps - it's like 2 year old hardware without the phone bits, what's the point in that? Just get a phone with ICS like my Galaxy S2 which, although old now, is way ahead of any of the pmp garbage.
Many of us don't want to be locked into overpriced contracts......thus we buy PMPs. What my co-worker spends in 3 months for his smartphone and contract will last me the entire year for my prepaid dumb phone....so I shall continue to enjoy my SGP 5.0 and my 4th-gen iPod Touch.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:20 AM

I guess Im spoilt in Europe with unlocked phones and data that is virtually free - 20 for 6 months unlimited worth.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
I guess Im spoilt in Europe with unlocked phones and data that is virtually free - 20 for 6 months unlimited worth.
That is a great price for data, compared to what we have to pay over here. And unlimited data plans are disappearing fast here as well.

Tags
4" screen yes, childish tags suck!, haters gonna hate!, ipod touch 5g, me likey, samsung galaxy player, samsung galaxy player 4