android
Old 01-04-2007, 08:07 AM

Default U3 and USB cables...

So I got my shiny U3 and I'm very happy.
But the supplied USB cable is a bit short for my needs...is it safe to use a usb cable from another device I have?

For recharge and data-transfer purposes :P

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-04-2007, 08:21 AM

Yes, it's a standard cable - you can use any other one.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:52 PM

Thank you

Oh...another question:
I found out that not all the .jpg files I uploaded were viewable...why is that so?
Does pictures need to be limited to some maximum size/quality other than being in jpg format?

Old 01-04-2007, 02:56 PM

Make soure the JPEGs are not encoded as "progressive JPEGs", iAudio players can't read those.

A good free program to convert those is IrfanView.

And yes, there's a size limit, too (which I don't know, but you should be good with files under ~2MB).

Old 01-04-2007, 03:33 PM

Thanks again!
Now all images work perfectly

Last question of the day (I'm truly annoying, I know :P ) :
every time I plug the usb cable into the U3 the device is "seen" by WinXP...ok.
then I perform my desired transfers...ok
then I "safely remove" the usb device, so that I can use the U3...ok

Let's say I just needed a quick peek into the U3 files...so after the transfer I left it plugged to the usb cord...also recharging.
Now if I want to add more stuff to the U3 I find myself forced to un-plug and re-plug the device, otherwise it won't be seen by XP.

That's annoying, and I fear that excessive re-plugging could (on the long run) be detrimental.
Is there a way to make XP "look again" for connected usb devices without having to un/re-plug them?

Old 01-04-2007, 03:36 PM

No, I think unplugging and replugging is the only way for Windows to recognize USB devices. Since I guess you can't turn the U3's power off while it is connected and charging.

But you can see all files on the U3's file browser itself, you don't need Windows, right?

Old 01-05-2007, 08:45 AM

when connected it is automatically seen by XP...the U3 is "blocked" and you can open it as a windows folder.

if you "safely remove" it then the U3 is "free" again.
Turned OFF it will charge.
Turned ON you can use it.

My problem (but not a REAL problem anyway ) is that it is either one or the other.
It's impossible to simply switch from one mode to the other.
Too bad, it would have been a cool feature ^_^

Thanks again for the help

Old 01-05-2007, 08:57 AM

A workaround might be a dedicated USB-charger, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/SwiMP3-Wall-Ch...sporting-goods

It would charge your U3 without the need of a computer. I'm sure you could find cheaper chargers, I just posted the first link I could find.