android
Old 05-21-2012, 10:46 AM

Default FLAC files play alphabetically..how to fix this?

Folder/album with flac files. the files do not play according to the track list; they play alphabetically. (ex, if "Aardvark Boogie" is track 12, it will play first. If "Zebra Boogie" is track 1, it will play last)

I know that FLAC files CAN take ID3 tags similar to mp3, but some folks say they should not be applied. I know there is something relative to vorbis comment that function as tags...which maybe the flac files do not have? But I don't know how to add these to my flac files.

At an rate, I'm confused, and do not want to listen to flac files out of order. Any solutions?

I've used mp3Tag a lot in the past for mp3 files. I see on other forums that some folks are using mp3 for tagging flac. If this is placing !D3 tags into the flac files, should i avoid this?
Others recommend foobar or winamp for tagging flac. Any ideas?
thanks

Last edited by Blackdog; 05-21-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Administrator

FLAC files use vorbis comments not ID3 tags. Trying to use ID3 tags will usually cause problems, if the files play at all. Whatever software was used to create the files should have added them when the files were created.

You can still tag them now. Any decent tagging program will detect the type of file and apply the appropriate tags. I'd recommend staying with MP3Tag. Take a look at the formats it handles.

Last edited by skip252; 05-21-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
FLAC files use vorbis comments not ID3 tags. Trying to use ID3 tags will usually cause problems, if the files play at all. Whatever software was used to create the files should have added them when the files were created.

You can still tag them now. Any decent tagging program will detect the type of file and apply the appropriate tags. I'd recommend staying with MP3Tag. Take a look at the formats it handles.
I've been using mp3Tag for years. I never saw that it has options for FLAC. I'll take a closer look at home.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Any decent tagging program will detect the type of file and apply the appropriate tags.
The "MP3" part of the name threw me off when I had some poorly tagged FLAC files that needed fixing a few years back. EAC will add ID3 tags if you set it to do that and parts of my FLAC archive were all messed up. MP3tag stripped all the ID3 tags and rewrote them properly with vorbis comments. The only setup I had to do was to set it to remove the ID3 tags. It wrote the vorbis comments as the default.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:04 PM

10-4
I'll fire up my ol' copy of mp3Tag.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:35 PM

It seems to be a bug with the SGP, not the tags: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=68547

EDIT: Never mind, I see you posted in that thread.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 AM

MP3Tag worked "a treat" as the Aussies say.
AutoDetects the flac files and the tagging process is pretty much identical to tagging mp3...only it takes a LOT longer to embed the album art into flac files. Run the auto-numbering routine for track numbers...violla! good to go!
thanks for the help and suggestions everyone. I also replaced an old crappy flac to mp3 converter with foobar, and that's pretty amazing shareware. Did a great job of converting flacs to 320 kbps mp3.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Glad that worked for you. MP3tag is what I use for cross checking the tags on all my audio files. foobar2000 does much the same thing but I'm a bit paranoid and like to use a second software just to be sure.

BTW, foobar2000 is a freeware not a shareware. Not a huge deal but shareware is usually limited in some way even if it's just a nag screen. foobar2000 isn't limited in any way. It's ready to unleash the beast immediately. There's a way to contribute on the homepage (hint, hint ) but that's purely voluntary.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:01 PM

yeah 10-4
Thanks again

Tags
alphabetical order, flac, tags