android
Old 05-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default A161P Review

Finished the A161P review and it's up now here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I saw the review, but I don't have the chance to read it fully yet. But, after a quick skim, I can tell I may need to actually get these sucka's!!!

Old 05-19-2012, 01:43 AM

Nice review . How do they compare with the Phonak Audeo pfe's?

Old 05-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
Nice review . How do they compare with the Phonak Audeo pfe's?
I couldn’t answer that question as I’ve never tried the Phonak Audéo PFE. But you can read dfkt’s review here and draw your own conclusions. Or it’s possible that someone owns both and they can reply to your question.

If you haven’t tried one of the many balanced armature IEMs on the market, I would highly recommend one unless you’re a serious basshead. Although some bassheads like the change of pace, accuracy, speed and clarity that balanced armatures can provide. One thing I noticed comparing MEE to other companies is that they offer competitively priced B/A IEMs (only 2 at this time A151 & A161P). So if it’s your first B/A and you’re on a budget you may want to consider looking for the best price on the A151s (they're cheaper and very nice as well). That said, IMHO the A161Ps are a definite step above them in sound quality.

Edit: since that review, Phonak Audéo has improved their IEMs, so use it as a guide/intro to them

Old 08-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I finally picked up a pair of these and fully approve. I find them a little lacking in bass for some of my hip hop or electronic at times but not so much that I have to swap them out for something else. I keep my vpulse in my bag too so that if I just need that bass I can swap out temporarily, but the 161 is my go-to set now. still playing with tips but thats normal for me and a new set.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
I finally picked up a pair of these and fully approve.
Congrats and nice to hear you approve or like them

Quote:
I find them a little lacking in bass for some of my hip hop or electronic at times but not so much that I have to swap them out for something else. …
I did try to relay this in the review by stating “I can see some bass-heads finding them a tad light on bass but they make up for any loss of thump with their detailed imaging and bass control. … The depth extension is much better than the A151s, the bass quality is great while the actual quantity is medium at most.” While this will not change with BA IEMs other than a little getting use to them, I think if you give them a while you'll see what I tried to describe. If not, apologies to you and others that may have misunderstood my description in my review. I may have not been blunt enough and as you know describing sound is very difficult as we all hear things differently. That said, I stand by my assessment.

Quote:
… still playing with tips but that’s normal for me and a new set.
For me the small triple-flange tips work best but we’re all different in that respect. That said, while they do supply a good diversity of tips all the singles (regular) tips are flimsy and cheap IMHO. Hope you find a good tip and let me know what you end up using as I’ve not tested after market tips on my A161Ps yet.

Last edited by WalkGood; 08-24-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I did try to relay this in the review by stating “I can see some bass-heads finding them a tad light on bass but they make up for any loss of thump with their detailed imaging and bass control. … The depth extension is much better than the A151s, the bass quality is great while the actual quantity is medium at most.” While this will not change with BA IEMs other than a little getting use to them, I think if you give them a while you'll see what I tried to describe.
yeah, they are jsut what I expected, I m not disappointed in the bass at all. For most of my music they are plenty. they EQ rather well with poweramp so I can tweak some anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
For me the small triple-flange tips work best but we’re all different in that respect. That said, while they do supply a good diversity of tips all the singles (regular) tips are flimsy and cheap IMHO. Hope you find a good tip and let me know what you end up using as I’ve not tested after market tips on my A161Ps yet.
So far the double flange have the best seal for me. triples, even the smalls, seem to go too deep for me to be comfortable. I tried my comply set off of the e10 and they were too big. I am pretty sure I have some sony hybrids at home but forgot to grab them. I will settle into something soon.

microphonics are bit annoying. I almost have to wear them over the ear. very low with the supplied ear hooks...which I like way better than my phonak ear hooks.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
... microphonics are bit annoying. I almost have to wear them over the ear. very low with the supplied ear hooks...which I like way better than my phonak ear hooks.
I would agree, when worn down up front they do transmit a medium amount of cable microphonics but I wear mine over the ear and down the inside of my shirt so I don't hear any that way. I do it this way with all my IEMs and they seem to eliminate cable microphonics for me. Interesting you like the hooks, I wasn't able to get use to them but they stay on very well without the ear hooks over the ear for me.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I may have to bail on the hooks after all. the wire comes out of them almost everytime I have to take the IEMs out. its annoying. will try it without and see.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I may have to bail on the hooks after all. the wire comes out of them almost everytime I have to take the IEMs out. its annoying. will try it without and see.
That was definitely one of the issues I had as well and I found using the hooks a bit clumsy which is probably because I’m not use to that device crutch (I'm strictly speaking of me and not trying to poke fun here).

While we’re on the subject I don’t mind the cables much and I do like their soft coating. While I prefer the cables on the A151s, these aren’t that bad. I have a tendency to coil and store my IEMs in their case when not in use and the nice thing about the soft cable is that it does not hold memory and straightens out nicely for use. Overall these are nice IEMs if you find a deal on them, a bit expensive if one pays full rate but a very nice improvement in sound signature over the A151s IMHO.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:33 AM

Very helpful very, thanks! I’ve decided to purchase them.
I’m new to some of this, so forgive me if this is obvious to most. Would these benefit from an amp, fiio e6, when used with my sansa clip plus?

(I am sorry but I posted this under the article too, which I now realize may have been the inappropriate place to post)

Old 09-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rif View Post
Very helpful very, thanks! I’ve decided to purchase them.
I’m new to some of this, so forgive me if this is obvious to most. Would these benefit from an amp, fiio e6, when used with my sansa clip plus? ...

No amp needed as their impedance is only 16 ohms. I use mine with my Clip Zip which is the same specs as the Clip plus that you own and they work perfectly fine without an amp. If you're coming from lower quality, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how good & clear they sound as is.