android
Old 01-04-2007, 03:38 AM

Default Problems with newer m250 players

Just recently got a black m250 with firmware version 4.0.45A. I notice three problems right away:

1) The volume is too loud. It goes from muted to "louder than normal" in one step. At full volume, it is extremely loud.

2) The skip forward/backward song-by-song is slow. It takes about 1-2 seconds to skip from one song to the next.

3) MP3 tags does not work. The display shows "Unknown" artist, "Unknown" album and scrolls the filename instead of the song title.

I have an older m250 to compare with. It has firmware version 2.2.5A. None of the above problems exist on this older player. The audio level is comfortable near the mid-range of the volume control. The player will skip songs forwards/backwards as fast as I can click the buttons. The identical MP3 files on the older m250 displays and scrolls the artist/title/album information correctly.

Do I just have a bad player? Does anyone else with an m200 player running firmware version 4.x.x have these problems?

Thanks!
-John

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-04-2007, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc60 View Post
3) MP3 tags does not work. The display shows "Unknown" artist, "Unknown" album and scrolls the filename instead of the song title.
The only thing I noticed on the M250 before my player died was that MP3 tags needed to be correct. I think that it was id version 2 that needed to have the album title in another tag than the typical one.. (in winamp, if you copy id 1 tags to id2 it doesn't fill in the album title in the right field for the sandisk, so it will display it as unknown album.)

Old 01-05-2007, 06:35 AM

OK. I found an answer to problem #3 in my original post.

The newer m250 (firmware v4.0.45A) will only read and display ID3v2 tags with characters encoded in ISO-8859-1. It will not read ID3v2 tags encoded in UTF-8 or UTF-16. The older m250 (firmware v2.2.5A), on the other hand, will read and display the tags regardless of encoding. I've also check out the m260 (FW v2.x.x)) and m230 (FW v3.x.x) players. They all work with any encoding. Looks like the v4.x.x firmware needs some work.

While technically not a problem, it would be nice to be able use any encoding and to keep the features the same across the m200 product line.

I also found another interesting difference in behavior with the v4 firmware. The song title listing in the playlist displays info from the M3U file's EXTINF fields. In the v2/3 firmware, the song title listing will display info read from the ID3v2 title field of each MP3 file. The result for me is that the v2/3 players displayed a list of pure song titles whereas the v4 player displayed a long string of the same characters because my playlist editor generates the M3U EXTINF with "artist - album - song". Of course, the "artist - album" part is the same for every song. After I set my playlist editor to generate EXTINF fields with just the song title, the playlist listing now acts like it does on the v2/3 players. Again, this is probably not considered a problem. It's just annoying that the "same product, same model number" works differently.

The first two issues - still no answers from SanDisk. I will probably take it back to the store and exchange it to see if its just my player.

-John

Old 01-13-2007, 01:13 AM

I checked out two other m250 players with v4 firmware. They have exactly the same problems as mine. Either the hardware got re-designed and the audio is now too hot or firmware is not setting the minimum volume level correctly. Hope they fix this and the slow button response issue soon. This loud and slow m250 is getting annoying.

-John

Old 01-14-2007, 02:25 AM

The v4 players are faulty as far as I'm concerned. It looks like a bad batch made it out of China.

Quote:
OK. I found an answer to problem #3 in my original post.

The newer m250 (firmware v4.0.45A) will only read and display ID3v2 tags with characters encoded in ISO-8859-1. It will not read ID3v2 tags encoded in UTF-8 or UTF-16. The older m250 (firmware v2.2.5A), on the other hand, will read and display the tags regardless of encoding. I've also check out the m260 (FW v2.x.x)) and m230 (FW v3.x.x) players. They all work with any encoding. Looks like the v4.x.x firmware needs some work.

While technically not a problem, it would be nice to be able use any encoding and to keep the features the same across the m200 product line.
SanDisk will issue RMA's for this issue, but it's good to know the reason why. Good investigative work, john

Old 01-18-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I checked out two other m250 players with v4 firmware. They have exactly the same problems as mine. Either the hardware got re-designed and the audio is now too hot or firmware is not setting the minimum volume level correctly. Hope they fix this and the slow button response issue soon. This loud and slow m250 is getting annoying.

-John
i have exactly the same problems with my m240 player

Old 01-19-2007, 05:22 AM

i also have gotten a new sansa m250 mp3 player. It runs version 4.0.44a and is 2.0 gb. Has anyone had a problem with the player locking up. The player worked fine for a few days but now only turns off and on. It will not play any music. I switched the battery and the "hold" button is not engaged so i have no clue what could be wrong with this thing. I wrote tech support at sansa's website........i'll see what they have to say i suppose

Old 01-23-2007, 07:31 PM

after the new update to firmware (4.1.07A)

Quote:
1) The volume is too loud. It goes from muted to "louder than normal" in one step. At full volume, it is extremely loud.
fixed
EDIT: now, i don't know

Quote:
2) The skip forward/backward song-by-song is slow. It takes about 1-2 seconds to skip from one song to the next.
it seems fixed

Quote:
this problem still exists

Old 01-24-2007, 04:23 PM

None of those things are fixed in firmware v4.1.07. The minimum volume is still too loud. Skipping from song-to-song still takes over one second per song (if you click "forward" quickly 10 times, you will not end up at +10 songs ahead). It still does not understand UTF-8 and UTF-16 encoded MP3 tags. This last one I can live with; I just use ISO encoding.

Related to the slowness, if you select a playlist, it takes 5-10 seconds before it starts playing.

I hope someone at SanDisk is listening and fix these annoy bugs soon.

-John

Old 01-24-2007, 04:48 PM

Scotty. On the lockup problem, how far does it get? Just the SANSA logo? If so, there's another thread on that which may have more information.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Firmware

HI,
pleas send me FW version 4.x.x on my email dejvas@slezskynet.info.
Thanks

Dejvas

Old 02-19-2007, 05:20 AM

The firmware for the M250 has been updated to version 4.1.08. The problems with the excessively loud minimum volume and the slow response when skipping songs forwards or backwards is still not fixed.

-John

Old 02-23-2007, 07:13 AM

Default m250 4.1.07 bugs

I've noticed the slow speed at which you can move forward to the next track as well. For me that isn't too much of a concern. I also have noticed the following other bugs. Has anyone else experienced these?

I agree that the minimum volume is too high as well for listening at night time or in really quiet environments, guess I'll have to invest in a pair of headphones with an external volume control.

Position Lose
I experienced it losing my position in my books multiple times. I was at about 2.5 hours through an mp3 segment and I paused and powered off the player. When I powered the player back up it had lost my position, in order to determine if this was a fluke I ffed to the same position and paused and powered off the player and powered it back on, it again had lost my position. I decided that I'd avoid powering it off as despite the improvement in fast forwarding it is still a pain, fortunately, the player provides another way to power off; if you pause and wait 20 seconds the player will autopower off. Again I fast forwarded to the postion, paused and this time let the player power off itself, powering back up the player remembered the position, finally!

Ignoring play button
Another bug I encountered was that in certain cases the player would refuse to play, the play icon would appear in the display but the counter would not increase and no sound would come from the unit, pressing the play button again would change the icon to pause, still no sound, pressing again would change to play and still no sound. The solution seemed to require fast forwarding to the next track and then rewinding and would sometimes require powering off in addition.

Chirping
Finally one audio book that I played was divided up into really small segments and for some reason the player would chirp after each piece was played. I think this artifact is similar to pausing, when you pause the player cuts out and emits a sound. If you pause in the middle of a track in iTunes the correct thing happens and you don't notice an audio artifact.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:48 AM

Quote:
The firmware for the M250 has been updated to version 4.1.08. The problems with the excessively loud minimum volume and the slow response when skipping songs forwards or backwards is still not fixed.

-John
Both works on 4.1.08 m240 fine, I just figured out you must hold the fw/bw button, and not press it several times.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:31 PM

Holding down the forward and backward buttons to skip song files will only work if the player is in "pause".

Even so, the newer v4.x player will skip songs at a rate of about two songs per second, if you hold down the fwd/back buttons. The v2.x player skips much faster than I can count or see - the song titles are just a blur as it skip in either direction.

The same thing happens when you press the buttons repeatedly instead of holding it down. The v4.x player skip about 1 or 2 songs per second regardless of how fast you "click" the buttons. The v2.0 player's response is better and will skip as fast as you can press the buttons; press it 40 times fast and you are 40 songs ahead.

Since these issues are not fixed yet, I'm guessing that they don't know how.

-John

Old 05-24-2007, 09:59 AM

So Sansa v2 is even faster.
I'm used to chinese players which take 4-5s to skip to next song, so to me Sansa v4 is lightning fast.
And you can play songs by albums, so no need to skip 40 songs ahead.

But I guess this is hardware related, so I think they can't fix these issues with FW.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:26 PM

I have an m250 I just bought last Thursday with the V4.1.07A firmware. When I select *Play All it will play the first song in the list and then skip all the rest but displaying all the titles as it I were manually hitting >>| repeatedly.

Any ideas? Has this been reported anywhere else. Looking for others with the same problem who might have found a fix. This is the closest one I could find so far.
TIA
Art

Old 09-18-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I understand that that is a problem for some, but would like to make a note.

The volume level is not a problem if one is using High-End HiFi earphones. Quite on the contrary, the new Sansa m250 V4 hardware is able to drive more than enough pure sound to these less sensitive high quality earphones.

I’m using Sennheiser HD590 earphones and the volume control operation extent is like designed for them, comfortable sound pressure level is achieved approximately at the half of scale. Many other players have problems delivering pure undistorted sound into this type of earphones.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:40 AM

Default Volume.

I find that I have the same problem as you with the volume sometimes when using my m230. It always fixes the problem for me if I just turn the volume all the way down and then turn the player off. When I turn it back on, I just crank the volume back up to where I want it and it's working fine.

Try that, I hope it helps!

Old 01-26-2008, 12:14 AM

Default new firmware needed

I have 4.1.08A but it won't display the whole album name after track name, sometimes it is just artist again. Anyone else have this problem?