android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Android

Old 05-17-2012, 06:31 PM

Default Evernote updates to Version 4.0, adds swipe navigation

Ah Evernote, how did we live our mobile, multi-device lives before you? Not as conveniently, that's for sure. The Evernote team has updated its Android app to Version 4.0, revamping the look and feel of Evernote, along with adding a new navigation feature. The home menu has received the most work with a totally different look, but mostly the same navigation—shouldn't take you more than a moment to adjust to it. The biggest change is swiping back and forth from the home menu. Now, whenever you are virtually anywhere except for editing a note, you can swipe to open the home menu and swipe again to go back to what you were doing.

The notebooks menu, along with pretty much everything else on the app, has also been cosmetically revamped and the navigation improved. First of all, it is simply easier on the eyes and more of that oh-so-popular swipe navigation has been added, allowing you to swipe between notebooks, tags, places, and of course, the home menu. The widget, which is a must for any true Evernote fan, also received an update, but other than an icon tweak or two, it remains the same—the update was necessitated by the new version of the main app.

With all the news flying around about this update, I had to check it out, but most of what I'm reading seems to be a lot of hype for a new face. While I would certainly classify the update as a strong improvement, I'm not entirely sure that it warrants a new version number. I use Evernote pretty much daily, and on all of my devices, so these changes are welcome, but I'm still on the lookout for a worthy competitor. I tried One Note a while back and was thoroughly unimpressed.

Am I undervaluing these changes? Is this really the best app for the job, and therefore “every little thing [it] does is magic”? Or am I missing another option that just isn't getting the press?

[Google Play]

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]