android
Old 05-14-2012, 01:49 PM

Default Rockbox External Playlist Creator

Hello All,

I am loving my new Rockboxed Sansa Fuze and have learnt how to make playlists within the Fuze, done successfully no probs.

I have done a search with no luck, but is there a program that can make a playlist on a windows 7 64 pc so i can make the playlist on the pc and just then drag it to the playlist directory in the Fuze.

I downloaded a freeware program called 'Playlist Creator' and i made a M3u playlist and dragged it into the 'Playlist Catalog' in the player, I created the playlist by bringing up the music directory ie the Sansa L Drive (this is where all my music is on a external SD card), but although the songs are showing on the playlist they do not play when the playlist is selected in the player ???

Any help would be really good, because it will be hell of a lot of work to make all my playlists internally without a Pc.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

maidenpriest..

did you save that m3u playlist to the PC and then drag it over (as mentioned in para 2)? or did you save it direct to the Fuze? The direct save should work.

However, I am not a Rockbox user, or a Playlist Creator user. But m3u files seem to work better if they are not moved around.

Steve

Old 05-14-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
maidenpriest..

did you save that m3u playlist to the PC and then drag it over (as mentioned in para 2)? or did you save it direct to the Fuze? The direct save should work.

However, I am not a Rockbox user, or a Playlist Creator user. But m3u files seem to work better if they are not moved around.

Steve
Hello Steve, thanks for your help

I am work so i don't have access to my pc now, I am sure i just searched within the program and selected the playlist catalog within the K drive (internal drive) of the Sansa Fuze and saved it directly to it, i didn't drag anything across to the fuze ????

Old 05-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Any software that can create a .m3u playlist can create playlists that work on a Rockboxed player. That includes every music management program I've ever used. Winamp, MediaMonkey, foobar2000, you name it. Even broke down ole Windows Media Player gets the job done.

Trying to create a playlist and then drag and drop it onto the player usually doesn't work. A playlist is a list of the paths to the files you want to include in the list and a playlist made that points to files on the computer can't work. It *can* work if the file/folder structure on the PC are the exactly same.

If there's any difference in folder structure any file paths that aren't correct will cause the files that aren't properly referenced to not play. If you use the files on the Fuze to create the playlist the paths should be right and the playlist works.

Things change some when you include files from the external card. Rockbox sees the external card as <microSD1> instead of a drive letter. There's a few workarounds. The simplest I know is to store the playlists on the external memory. That makes the playlist refer to the correct locations and they should work. Another is to use a simple find and replace with a text editor. You replace the drive letter for the external card with <microSD1> and the playlists work when you store them on the internal drive in the Playlists folder.

A form of find and replace is what marc2003's setup here does automatically with foobar2000. It looks more complicated than what it is. It's pretty easy if you take it step by step. One of the nice parts is that if you assign drive letters to the player and any cards you use it only has to be done once. I've assigned "J" to all my players and "K" to all my cards.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Any software that can create a .m3u playlist can create playlists that work on a Rockboxed player. That includes every music management program I've ever used. Winamp, MediaMonkey, foobar2000, you name it. Even broke down ole Windows Media Player gets the job done.

Trying to create a playlist and then drag and drop it onto the player usually doesn't work. A playlist is a list of the paths to the files you want to include in the list and a playlist made that points to files on the computer can't work. It *can* work if the file/folder structure on the PC are the exactly same.

If there's any difference in folder structure any file paths that aren't correct will cause the files that aren't properly referenced to not play. If you use the files on the Fuze to create the playlist the paths should be right and the playlist works.

Things change some when you include files from the external card. Rockbox sees the external card as <microSD1> instead of a drive letter. There's a few workarounds. The simplest I know is to store the playlists on the external memory. That makes the playlist refer to the correct locations and they should work. Another is to use a simple find and replace with a text editor. You replace the drive letter for the external card with <microSD1> and the playlists work when you store them on the internal drive in the Playlists folder.

A form of find and replace is what marc2003's setup here does automatically with foobar2000. It looks more complicated than what it is. It's pretty easy if you take it step by step. One of the nice parts is that if you assign drive letters to the player and any cards you use it only has to be done once. I've assigned "J" to all my players and "K" to all my cards.
Thanks, will try it

Old 05-15-2012, 01:35 PM

Thumbs up

I couldn't work out how to get the extention into foobar So back to Playlist Creator 3.6.2

If anyone that uses Playlist Creator 3.6.2 can tell me how I can save the playlist file to L/<microSD1>/MUSIC then I think it would work, unfortunatly Playlist Creator only lets me select L/MUSIC as the location of where the playlist will point to the music files ??

Old 05-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Here's how to install a foobar2000 component. Once foo_utils is installed and configured you just follow the rest of the directions by marc2003 if you want to use foobar2000.

I was never able to get the other program you mention to work in conjunction with Rockbox. Hang in there, someone may know to get the program you want to use to change how it writes it's file paths. You might also get in touch with the author and see if they have any tips on how to change the save paths.

There's tons of things I don't know about different software so I've worked with the ones I could get to work reliably and simply. Before marc2003 wrote the guide I referenced, I used foobar2000, XMPlay, Winamp or MediaMonkey to create a standard .m3u playlist and saved it in the Playlists folder. After that I opened the .m3u file in a text editor and used the find and replace function to correct the file paths to <microSD1>.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Here's how to install a foobar2000 component. Once foo_utils is installed and configured you just follow the rest of the directions by marc2003 if you want to use foobar2000.

I was never able to get the other program you mention to work in conjunction with Rockbox. Hang in there, someone may know to get the program you want to use to change how it writes it's file paths. You might also get in touch with the author and see if they have any tips on how to change the save paths.

There's tons of things I don't know about different software so I've worked with the ones I could get to work reliably and simply. Before marc2003 wrote the guide I referenced, I used foobar2000, XMPlay, Winamp or MediaMonkey to create a standard .m3u playlist and saved it in the Playlists folder. After that I opened the .m3u file in a text editor and used the find and replace function to correct the file paths to <microSD1>.
Thanks I will try again

Old 05-15-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Woahhhoooooo !!!!

I got it to work, the first link I could not get the Foobar extension thing to work, Foobar is the one !!! Thank you Skip252 and a very excellent big thank you to Marc2003 - Respect !!!!

Now I just have to work out how to save a back up of the playlists on the Pc, I am sure that is simple though

Old 05-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Glad things worked out. I think I thanked marc2003 for that tutorial at the time but let me add my respect to yours now. That set of directions has saved me hours of fiddling around correcting file paths. Thanks again, marc2003.

Now that you have this working you may want to look into making playlists on the player itself easier. I found that changing the virtual keyboard helped me quite a bit. The default keyboard was too crowded and the font was too small for me to use easily. More on changing the virtual keyboard here.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Glad things worked out. I think I thanked marc2003 for that tutorial at the time but let me add my respect to yours now. That set of directions has saved me hours of fiddling around correcting file paths. Thanks again, marc2003.

Now that you have this working you may want to look into making playlists on the player itself easier. I found that changing the virtual keyboard helped me quite a bit. The default keyboard was too crowded and the font was too small for me to use easily. More on changing the virtual keyboard here.
Great, the virtual keyboard is way too crowded, this looks great !!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:39 AM

Hello all again,

Loving everything about Rockbox on my fuze, again thank you to all the great help this forum has given me , but the time has come to upgrade the external memory to a 64bit micro card, what I would really like to know is;

1. if I can just make a straight copy of my 32bit micro card to the 64bit card and will all the playlists still work (the playlist are created via foobar as m3u8) or do I need to make new playlists again?

2. Also if I was to copy .flac files 'of the same songs' to replace the .ogg file to the new 64bit card (for example swap the same source .ogg songs with .flac) would I need to do a new playlist for the .flac files or will the present playlist created using the .ogg files work for flac? for example does the playlist need the ogg/flac file information to recognise that song or does it recognise it by just the song title etc if it is the same song but encoded to a different file format?

(apologies if I have made it sound complicated what I wish to do ?)

Old 01-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Administrator

If all you do is transfer the files and place them in the same way on the larger card there's no need to make any changes to your existing playlists. The file path to the external card will be the same when Rockbox looks for them and the playlists work the same way. I have multiple cards that use the some of same playlists and I switch them out with no problems.

If you change the files from .ogg vorbis to FLAC you need to update your playlists. Rockbox will be looking for the original ogg files that no longer exist and won't substitute the FLAC file in an attempt to make the playlist continue to work.

Updating the playlist can be done easily using just about any text editor. In Windows you can use Notepad to open the playlist and then Edit=>Replace All... to replace all the instances of "ogg" with "flac". That points Rockbox to the files that are in place instead of instances of files that no longer exist.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 AM

Thats great Skip252 thank you very much, i was worried no one would see the post because I was the last poster previous in this thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Administrator

No big deal. Just so you know, whenever you add a post in a older thread it bumps it to the top for just that reason. If you just edit a older post that won't bump it up so it's best to post new if the thread is more than a day or two old.