android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > General MP3 Player / PMP Discussion

Old 05-12-2012, 04:44 AM

Help MicroSD card corrupted or hid all folders off my Sansa ClipZ - please help!

Hello,

This may not be the right forum for posting this question but I don't know where to post so posting here.

Yesterday, a friend gave me his 2 GB no-name microSD card to copy songs and to give it back to him. He had told me to delete the content it contained or format it since the songs he needed were many.

I came home and plugged the card into the clipZ but rockbox wouldn't recognize it. I booted into the OF and the "Refreshing" message appeared but kept flashing constantly. I reset the player, started back into OF and connected the player to my laptop to see what was wrong or to format the card.

The card couldn't be accessed and the mouse hung / was busy opening the card for a long time. I checked the ClipZ internal memory and it was fine. Next I removed and re-plugged the ClipZ into the USB port. This time, the volume name of the ClipZ internal memory changed to "Removable Disk".

I opened it to find only one of my MP3 files, two rockbox files - RES_INFO and SYS_CONF and one hidden file called DID.bin

No folders and no other files. But the properties still showed that 3.58 GB was occupied. I've tried some DOS tricks to unhide the hidden folder which probably was due to some virus in the memory card but wasn't successful.

I plugged the card into my Nokia and it asks for a password. When I tried accessing it using an SD slot on my laptop, it is recognized for a moment and then vanishes away. Something fishy for sure.

Can anyone tell me how can I recover the folders I lost or which are now hidden or whatever from the internal memory of my ClipZ?

I have some voice recordings which I don't want to lose.

Any help very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Casper

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-12-2012, 06:37 AM

Boot to the OF and change the mode from auto-detect to the same you had it when you loaded the player. I’m guessing it was on MSC when you loaded your tunes since you say you have rockbox. If it connected while in auto-detect it probably connected in MTP mode and that’s why you didn’t see any music files, although you say you saw one so that was probably loaded at one time incorrectly. That file will not be visible once you’re back into MSC mode, so either remove it or delete it while there.

The two files you saw need to be there, the only two you can delete are
##MUSIC#
##PORT#

I doubt there’s any virus on the card, sounds more like corruption or a bad card to me. You’ll need a card reader to connect to pc; don’t use the clip for that. Connect and format the card from your pc with the SDAssociation formatter, it’s free and you can download it here.

Edit:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, MUSIC, RECORD, AUDIBLE and PODCASTS are directories that you have for the Original Firmware. If you delete them, the original firmware will just recreate them the next time you boot into the OF. The ##Music# and ##Port# Folders I think have to do with the MTP music files but they can be deleted. If you don’t know what your doing, I wouldn't mess with anything that ends in .SYS, .bin or .sdk unless you don't want to boot the OF ever again.

##MUSIC#
##PORT#
MUSIC
RECORD
AUDIBLE
PODCASTS
AUDIOBOOKS
SYS_CONF.SYS
MTABLE.SYS
RES_INFO.SYS
version.sdk
DID.bin
.rockbox

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 05-12-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:47 AM

Help

I'm sorry I didn't mention that when I boot the player using the OF, I get the message that there'snot enough free space to load musicdb and to free up 200MB space. After this message the player shuts off.

If I boot using RB, I get a "file not found" message and then a message asking to connect the player to a USB port.

Strange thing that a corrupted memory card corrupted the player's internal memory too!

I've tried using testdisk (I know it since I've used Linux before). But there were no deleted partitions on the internal memory.

Any way I can get the files from the Record folder back? None of the folders are visible ATM.

Is it safe to run chkdsk on the internal memory? Any possibility of me getting the recordings back?

Old 05-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Administrator

The "free up 200 mb" message along with no files being found is a pretty sure indicator of file system problems. Running chkdsk on the internal memory has fixed that for me in the past. No idea if you'll be able to recover any files. Here's hoping you have backups.

The "file not found" message in Rockbox means the .rockbox folder can't be found by the bootloader. If the file system is corrupt the bootloader won't be able to locate the .rockbox folder to boot Rockbox. Once the file system is fixed and you load a new copy of Rockbox it should boot.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the quick reply WG,

I ran chkdsk and it found and converted 1615 lost chains into .chk files. Only tedious to rename them all tomp3, listen to each and find the ones I recorded.

Thanks again.

Kind Regards,
Casper

Tags
internal memory corrupted, memory card, microsd, microsdhc, virus