android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 AM

Default Help choosing headphone - I'm going round in circles

Hi guys

I've been trying to choose some full-sized headphones for weeks now and I'm more confused than ever. I felt into the mistake of searching Head-Fi.org for an opinion. Among the contradictory opinions and the sheer lunacy of some claims, I'm more confused than ever. I first joined this forum when I decided to buy an MP3 player and some IEMs. I have a lot of respect for dfkt and for the sensible people of this forum.

That being said, I must say that I don't believe that something sounds good/better just because it is expensive. I find the price of some equipment to be a rip-off. But hey, if it is that expensive it must sound better! That is, I believe, the reasoning behind many opinions in the Hi-Fi world.

I also don't believe in burn-in. I interpret claims such as "at first the highs had sibilance but they calmed down after xxx hours of burn-in" as "the highs are sibilant but after xxx hours I no longer notice it". I also believe that some sound equipment is not necessarily better than other, it may just have a different sound signature. If you like it or not, that is another issue.

I tried following the forum's guidelines for advice seeking. Hope you guys can help.
  • Budget: up to 150 Euros
  • Category: Full size headphones
  • Open Style because of the wider soundstage, but it's not a deal breaker
  • Circumaural because I tend to find them more confortable, but again, not a deal breaker.
  • Primary location of use: Home/indoor use
  • Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: I'll try my best to explain, but I'm not an audio buff. I hope I make sense. I'm looking for an immersive experience. Something that makes me fell like the instruments are around me or in movies like I'm in the middle of the action, so I guess a wide soundstage is important. I like clear, detailed sound but nothing too analytical or flat. I listen to music for pure enjoyment, not for professional purposes.
  • Media: I listen mainly to solo piano, acoustic guitar, smooth jazz, classical and opera. I'll also use the headphones for watching movies and some occasional gameplay. 80% of my files are FLAC and the rest in MP3 (320 kbps, mainly).
  • Source: laptop.
I will use the headphones for long hours, so confort and fatigue are also an issue. I don't have the oportunity to try any headphones before I buy them (no Hi-Fi shops were I live). I'll buy them online.

I hope someone can help me. Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]