android
Old 05-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Default What to do what to do...

So today is my b-day and I received a Sansa Fuze+from my sister, but everything I have heard about it is negative. I haven't tried it yet so I am asking for detailed list of pros and cons.
My sister said I could return it and get a different player if I wanted, but that would make me feel like an ass and I don't want to hurt her feelings. I had been hinting towards a Zip, but she thought since the Fuze+ was a media player I would like it more, but I'm unsure with all these negative reviews on it.

Is there any other player with similar features that's reliable, sturdy, and around the same price range as the Fuze+?
Would I be able to return it if I used it for a couple of days to test it out?
Is the touch pad as bad as everyone else says? How exactly does it work? Some have said you just need to get used to them.
How are transactions between songs? Is it "laggy"?

Last edited by Deity; 05-02-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-02-2012, 12:07 PM

Pro: if you can return it and get you're money back, buy a sandisk clip + or clip zip. With left over money buy a 32GB card.
Con: you can't return it :/

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 05-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The touchpad is tolerable if it is only used when you are sitting around, and not in a hurry to do anything...but it can get very annoying. Very easy to scroll right past the menu item you wanted to select, and have to try to scroll back.

Really the only way to use it and not get angry is to fill it with songs you like, and use it as a shuffle-only player....that's what I do with mine. If you have the opportunity to return it and get something different, I would say do that....a Clip+ or Zip would be much more fun to use.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:19 PM

I have my eyes set on Zip, but let's forge it for a moment.

Is there any other great player similar to Fuze+(video, pictures, radio, etc...) that's sturdy and reliable, for about the same price?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:26 PM

Video (screen tech in general) at that size and price class kind of sucks. Just get a good music player and be happy. My vote for exchanging it for a sansa clip zip or clip plus.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deity View Post
... Is there any other great player similar to Fuze+(video, pictures, radio, etc...) that's sturdy and reliable, for about the same price?
Yes, the fuze v1 or v2, you can find them new direct from sandisk.

Edit: aside from that, maybe a discounted sony player but most players that have those features are more expensive and you don't want something like coby, which is cheaper but sucks far worse than the fuze+

Edit2: example http://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdisku...ctID.247334700 and they have smaller sizes (2gb, 4gb) too, another link http://shop.sandisk.com/store?SiteID...erID=944161909

Last edited by WalkGood; 05-02-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Yes, the fuze v1 or v2, you can find them new direct from sandisk.

Edit: aside from that, maybe a discounted sony player but most players that have those features are more expensive and you don't want something like coby, which is cheaper but sucks far worse than the fuze+
What the screen size on the Fuze?
How well does it compare against the Zip? And how much better is it with Rockbox?
Is it sturdy?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
What the screen size on the Fuze?
Not sure but you should be able to look it up as easy as I and it should be close to the same as the fuze+ you got. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansa_Fuze
Quote:
How well does it compare against the Zip?
should sound exactly the same, it's just larger and does video like you requested.
Quote:
And how much better is it with Rockbox?
See the link under my sig, it's too much to write about.
Quote:
Is it sturdy?
I don't own one, I have 6 clips in our house and don't have the need for video on that type of portable player. But all the sansa players I've had are sturdy, can't be any less than the "+ model."

Edit: Now don't get us wrong, the sound quality of the fuze + is just as good as any other top tier player, it's the UI that sucks. BTW rockbox does not change the sound, it just opens up the possibility for more sound tweaking and features, it's not for everyone but it's certainly much better firmware than the OF.

Last edited by WalkGood; 05-02-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Not sure but you should be able to look it up as easy as I and it should be close to the same as the fuze+ you got. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansa_Fuze

should sound exactly the same, it's just larger and does video like you requested.

See the link under my sig, it's too much to write about.

I don't own one, I have 6 clips in our house and don't have the need for video on that type of portable player. But all the sansa players I've had are sturdy, can't be any less than the "+ model."

Edit: Now don't get us wrong, the sound quality of the fuze + is just as good as any other top tier player, it's the UI that sucks. BTW rockbox does not change the sound, it just opens up the possibility for more sound tweaking and features, it's not for everyone but it's certainly much better firmware than the OF.
I understand that much, but will it even out the part people hate about it?

Also, if I opened mine, tested it out, and didn't like it, would I be able to return it?

Old 05-02-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I understand that much, but will it even out the part people hate about it?
Not for me, if you do like marvin stated above then you might like it but who wants to always shuffle.

Quote:
Also, if I opened mine, tested it out, and didn't like it, would I be able to return it?
I don't know, where was it bought, did you check their return policy?

Old 05-02-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Not for me, if you do like marvin stated above then you might like it but who wants to always shuffle.

I don't know, where was it bought, did you check their return policy?
It was radio shack.

My sister was ok with a refund/return and we're going to go in a bit.

I am either getting Zip or if they have it, I might get Fuze.

Are there any comparisons between Clip Zip vs. Fuze?
I want to know how good the Fuze's video is and what it has over the Zip(if anything).

Old 05-02-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
It was radio shack.
Radio shack has a 30 day money back guarantee, look here.

Quote:
Are there any comparisons between Clip Zip vs. Fuze?
I want to know how good the Fuze's video is and what it has over the Zip(if anything).
The shack might not have an older fuze, most retail places had sales to clear out older inventory to replace with the newer fuze + model. I don’t recall reading any comparisons but you can just google a review of each. Or you can read abi's http://anythingbutipod.com/2008/03/s...a-fuze-review/ and http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=64913

Old 05-02-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Radio shack has a 30 day money back guarantee, look here.

The shack might not have an older fuze, most retail places had sales to clear out older inventory to replace with the newer fuze + model. I don’t recall reading any comparisons but you can just google a review of each. Or you can read abi's http://anythingbutipod.com/2008/03/s...a-fuze-review/ and http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=64913
Seen some videos and reviews and the Fuze is looking pretty awesome.

To anyone who has recently gone to Costco, do they sell them or have they all been replaced?
Any major flaws on the Fuze?
Is it "Fragile"?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
... do they sell them or have they all been replaced ...
They have all been replaced, that's why I gave you links in post 6 (you can get them from sandisk or ebay). According to FreeZ5 here sandisk stopped making them sometime in 2010 which sounds about right to me.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Fuze is a bit of a favorite round these parts. It's been reliable for many members here, though I haven't personally owned one. One of my friends has had and used his for the past, oh, five years I think now?

Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 PM

I’d like to clarify; if I was making a recommendation in your price range I would be recommending the clip + or the clip zip. You stated you wanted video and you’re in the budget of the fuze+, so we suggested the original fuze. Personally I don’t like video on mp3 players although I’ve converted a few movies and clips to test on some, I just don’t like watching a whole movie on small screens. Keep in mind that going with a player that hasn’t been made since mid 2010 you could face a battery life issue. That said, if I was going to buy a fuze, I'd be looking at the v1 or v2 as well but it's doubtful as I still have a e260 that runs perfect.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 PM

Thank you Walk for all your help and advice. I will be getting Fuze, I already got my money back from the Fuze + so now I'm ready to order. Any last minute warnings you might have forgotten?

Also that makes me feel more confident in getting it, thank you stein.