android
Old 07-16-2012, 05:18 AM
Administrator

You're the editor. Feel free to recreate a "sense of knowledge-discovery thought process" within your merged posts. The forum software doesn't impose a time limit on how long the post is yours to edit. If you use the Go advanced option in the Edit Menus you can change any aspect of a post you like whenever you feel the need.

It's just not considered polite "foruming" here to create consecutive posts that aren't separated by a day or so. If you do there's a fair chance they'll get merged again.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-16-2012, 07:15 AM

Default Bacterial!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You're the editor. Feel free to recreate a "sense of knowledge-discovery thought process" within your merged posts. The forum software doesn't impose a time limit on how long the post is yours to edit. If you use the Go advanced option in the Edit Menus you can change any aspect of a post you like whenever you feel the need.

It's just not considered polite "foruming" here to create consecutive posts that aren't separated by a day or so. If you do there's a fair chance they'll get merged again.
RUBBISH! (and note that you did it again in plain sight. Cognitive dissonance or confabulation? Hmmm ?)
IAC ...
This is just another example of forum micro-moderation.
It's so banal these days ... maybe it comes with the territory. Mods love playing God. Huge power trip... Even tho the micro-verse in which they pretensively rule is bacterial.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:52 AM

I've got a Dx100 on loan right now, even took it to work and back one day, on a single charge. It got almost as warm as a portable valve amp. But its channel balance (of course thanks to a digital pentameter), level of background noise (no news here) and interface, are all okay.

I'm probably not the market for it as my travel-to-work kit is an iPod shuffle circa 2005 or a Clip+, but that's just another ABI story. Of all the audiophile players, this is probably the best one for the folk that are determined to spend 600-1000$.

That same person won't be pleased with a cheap player no matter the outcome of any scientific or ratified experiential report. So, there is a market for 600-1000$ players. So far, this one is simply better featured than the competition. The C4 has in/out in digital which is pretty interesting, but it is also very large.

I know this isn't the market either. ABI doesn't generally attract the sort of audiophile (in the case that audiophile means a person who is in need of dishing out lots of money or even believes doing so will reap audible rewards) that iBasso are after with the Dx100. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised iBasso made this, or had it commissioned as generally, they take the no-nonsense approach to aftermarket audio products. Some might even call it bespoke.

But, despite personal reservations, the Dx100 has many plusses that can't be ignored, especially when put against its rivals from HiSound, Colourful, Fiio, and Hifiman.

To file 264: you have 4 posts. I'm a newbie, too. Let the mods do as they do in their own forum. Over at the much less populated TMA forums (ghost town!) I'd probably do much much worse.

ABI is a community with strong, passionate roots. Above all, it serves to educate the market and has mods that know what they are doing both in forums and in tech.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Long time, no see shigzeo. Nice to see your opinions on this player. You seem to have a rational approach to audio. Can't say I always agree with them but at least you allow that there is room for more than one opinion.

Have you had a chance to RMAA the DX100? The only results I've seen were using multi-armature IEMs with crossovers. The results seemed good to my less than expert eyes but it would be interesting to see it with a more standard 16 or 32 ohm load.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:12 AM

I've not done RMAA on it yet, but I'd assume (from listening) that it performs pretty well. I'd love to see some other RMAA results, too. I'll be using (as always) my earsonics SM2 which I find drops to rather low Ω levels.

Thank you for the support. I'm not really out for any agenda. There are consumers for every price point, and I think they need to be fed. I don't really know where I stand anymore other than to think of what's in my pocket on the train (no, not that). At a recent audiophile meet, I saw someone with a full-sized mains-out headphone amp, the Volante from Jaben tied to a 12V battery pack tied to some other sort of DAC or amp, can't remember. I'll be blogging about it because it interests me. That sort of person may or may not be about sound quality, I have no idea.

But whatever it is, they are part of that niche. I find it very interesting to say the least. They were kind when I pulled out my iPod nano. They didn't laugh, though I almost did at their setup. I shouldn't have.

Whatever the case, I'm glad the market is expanding by much more honest companies. Even HiSound may be cleaning up their act. I hope that is the case.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Whats the output impedance like on these players anyway?

Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Administrator

The only RMAA results I've found on a DX100 are here. Not sure if that link will continue to exist. I'm not sure that site allows linking.

As I said, I'm not an expert at reading RMAA results so my thoughts on it being decent are quite possibly incorrect.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 AM
ABI Invaluable

I’ll be interested to read your results shigzeo and while I understand the why it’s so expensive I wouldn’t pay that kind of money for a portable audio player when there are options that can yield similar SQ results for hundreds less. Sure it has things that are targeted for certain users that can not be found on other players but I’d rather not carry the kitchen sink around with me. While there is a demographic that does, I do commend iBasso for taking this step, who knows maybe they can drive the price down if these higher end portables if they ever get to the point of mass production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post
… That same person won't be pleased with a cheap player no matter the outcome of any scientific or ratified experiential report. …
They might think differently if they were more open to ABX testing or even a double-blind test, eliminating any bias they may have. Unfortunately some sites have spoken out clearly against them and have deleted the opinions of those that suggest them …

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-16-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I’ll be interested to read your results shigzeo and while I understand the why it’s so expensive I wouldn’t pay that kind of money for a portable audio player when there are options that can yield similar SQ results for hundreds less. Sure it has things that are targeted for certain users that can not be found on other players but I’d rather not carry the kitchen sink around with me. While there is a demographic that does, I do commend iBasso for taking this step, who knows maybe they can drive the price down if these higher end portables if they ever get to the point of mass production.

They might think differently if they were more open to ABX testing or even a double-blind test, eliminating any bias they may have. Unfortunately some sites have spoken out clearly against them and have deleted the opinions of those that suggest them …
True, on both accounts. I know a few people, however, who are really really into this as a hobby, not just a way to enjoy music, and for them, it is different. They want to lay down the money. Very interesting. It is nice that players such as the DX100 and C4 and Hifiman (say what you will) exist for them to play with and have options like digital output or digital input.

Anyway, I'll happily do some RMAA tests now.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The only RMAA results I've found on a DX100 are here. Not sure if that link will continue to exist. I'm not sure that site allows linking.

As I said, I'm not an expert at reading RMAA results so my thoughts on it being decent are quite possibly incorrect.
Google says the UE Triple.Fi 10 are only 32 ohm, but IIRC they're fairly hard to drive due to the multiple drivers, so thats not a bad result (unless I'm mixing up them up).

Old 07-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Administrator

It was the UE Triple.Fi 10 being used when the Sony Z1060 produced these results. I'm guessing the person that's doing the testing uses the Triple.Fi 10 as a worst case, tough to drive headphone.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:17 AM

I use the EArsonics SM2 (why use such an expensive earphone, I don't know) that equally dissolves the high Ω output of headphones and amps. I've found that if the output is anything more than about 0,4Ω, there will be some sort of loss in several metrics. SM2 is a beast. SM3, however, isn't.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:45 AM

I know that I'm out of my element here, but I've finally finished the DX100 review that I began those many months ago. Please keep in mind that while objective, I am writing for an audience. I am writing to the people who will buy either amps and/or DACs to fit with their portable players.

Personally, I am 100% satisfied with a 512MB iPod shuffle 1G. But, the merits of the DX100 are many - in terms of sheer performance: distortion under load, distortion at high volumes under load, noise levels, etc.

I didn't expect to be so impressed with such a large, unwieldy, expensive gadget, but I am. Feel free to comment good or bad about this, keeping in mind that shigzeo writes to a specific audience and believes what he says in that context.

I would not recommend the DX100 for someone looking for best DAP under 200$, or 500$. I would not recommend someone to stretch a budget to get it. But, for those who are going to get DAC/amp combos, I strongly suggest they look into the DX100 instead.

Frustrations are many, but this is a wonderfully performing player if amazingly frustrating.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Shiggy, we got nothing but luv for you bro!!!

Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 AM

Thank you. I've already found a number of errors, but I'll admit: I'm too tired to fox them for now.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post
I know that I'm out of my element here, but I've finally finished the DX100 review that I began those many months ago. Please keep in mind that while objective, I am writing for an audience. I am writing to the people who will buy either amps and/or DACs to fit with their portable players.
I read the review last night, and it was well done. I'd give something like this written by you more credence than what many of the Head-Fier crowd would have to say....after all I still have a quote from you in my sig over there....
Quote:
The ones that market themselves as Audiophile products are often the ones to be suspect of. --shigzeo

Old 12-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Administrator

There's nothing out of it's element about you posting a notification of your review here. It's very welcome from my point of view. IMHO it's always good to see a player evaluated on both the subjective and objective level.

Numbers don't say it all and neither does someone just relating what they hear. Combined they can give someone that's interested the information to make an informed decision. That's never out of it's element here.

I'm not a candidate for buying the DX100. Besides the price there's too many other factors, size, UI, battery life etc. that makes it not fit how I enjoy my music. It's still good to know that you thought enough about ABi to let us know what you experience with it has been.

When I look at other places you've posted your experiences I see that you are continuing your time with the DX100. I'll be keeping an eye out on TouchMyApps but I tend to doubt many members here will be doing the same. If there's any major developments please don't hesitate to keep us updated.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I read the review last night, and it was well done. I'd give something like this written by you more credence than what many of the Head-Fier crowd would have to say....after all I still have a quote from you in my sig over there....
Ah yes, that quote! I still believe that. Mainly however, I was speaking of HiSound's horrible products. The DX100 is certainly a contrasting player to HiSound's audiophile mulch, but its ethos is part of the same shtick.

Again, I didn't believe I'd like it so much (sound wise and overall function wise). Using it is of course a lesson in patience. Later, I may borrow a C4 and Hifiman to compare as I get many requests every week to do that.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
The stock app is slow, lacks browse options and has only rudimentary playlist support. Gapless files have gaps,
Quote:
Now, Android 2,3 isn’t exactly a new school release, and it isn’t as polished as the likes of jelly bean. But it gets the job done – certainly the job an audiophile wants. It plays music wonderfully.
FWIW, Jelly Bean adds gapless playback, so if gapless is a problem, thats a stronger argument against 2.3.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:28 PM

Indeed, 2,3 shows its age and living without gapless is hard. In context (against other audiophile players: C4, Hifiman, HiSound) it works as good or better, but I've been listening to gapless with DAPs since the iPod touch in 2007. Prior to that, if an MD didn't work properly with gapless, it annoyed me to no end.