android
Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Oh yeah? Who else sells a 160GB player a lot cheaper then an ipod classic?

You only think it wouldn't take much because you don't know what it would take: massive volume. You need to sell tens of millions of units to get into Apple's costs. And basically no one but Sandisk or Sansung can do that, and those can only do it for certain models (e.g. stripped down Galaxy phones).

Everyone else either cuts corners ...
This is an excellent response and it’s a shame if it were posted in that big thread over there it would probably get deleted by their mods or the owner ….

This thing reminds me of that overpriced POS player that dfkt reviewed ... I can't understand someone paying $829.00 for this thing when there's so many other better and lower cost options, guess it's just an audioFool thing ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
This is an excellent response and it’s a shame if it were posted in that big thread over there it would probably get deleted by their mods or the owner ….

This thing reminds me of that overpriced POS player that dfkt reviewed ... I can't understand someone paying $829.00 for this thing when there's so many other better and lower cost options, guess it's just an audioFool thing ...
I don't doubt that the DX100 would sound better than a HiFiMan...and the 64GB of internal memory can account for some of the cost.....but it is still priced way too high.

That said, my iBasso T5 amp is a pretty impressive little piece....doesn't color the sound at all but packs a lot of power. But it is not in that uber-priced stratosphere like those other devices either.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I don't doubt that the DX100 would sound better than a HiFiMan...and the 64GB of internal memory ...
Let me put it another way, even if I had unlimited funds I wouldn't buy one, I'd rather have an ipod

Old 05-09-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Oh that one. Year lotsa things around that player, namely the questionable origins of certain parts used inside (suspected to be second-hand or dismounted from other units) and the business practice of that company regarding the product in general.

When questioned regarding those suspicious parts, their semi-official response was (rephrased): "So what? As long as it sounds better than all the other DAPs out there we don't care about where these parts came from."

Old 05-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
Oh that one. ...
Yea the hifiman, I didn't use the name because even the name turns me off. Along with all the trickery that went on from the owner and mods deleting posts that were anything but praise for that pos.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Let me put it another way, even if I had unlimited funds I wouldn't buy one, I'd rather have an ipod
yoda-bobble-head.jpgSo much hate.....you know that leads to....

Old 05-09-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Yea the hifiman, I didn't use the name because even the name turns me off. Along with all the trickery that went on from the owner and mods deleting posts that were anything but praise for that pos.
The "designer" claims his DAP sounds exactly the same as a Meridian 588 CD player (there's a thread over there) and is even offering "blind comparison tests" to audiophiles in China. Look, either he is really that arrogant, or the Meridian is an even more overpriced POS.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:03 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertrash View Post
Why doesn't someone come out with a DAP thats like Apples Ipod Classic and charge 50 bucks less while still having equal or better sound. Don't even develop a firmware, just use RockBox. I have to believe that it could be done and a 120 gig alternative to the Ipod, while probably not likely to be a huge seller, would probably do well for companies like iBasso who don't sell anything in near the numbers that Apple or even Cowon does. I like the form factor of the Ipod Classic, small enough for my pocket but not so small as to be easily misplaced. I will probably get one as soon as the Rockbox for it is deemed stable. I don't have one because I don't want to be part of the Apple ecosystem. I want one so I can download all my CDs in lossless, probably FLAC, and listen to it instead of using a seperate external hard drive.
Anyway thats my 2 cents, I don't need an $800 wannabe audiophile rig with crappy battery life and have to add SD cards, I want an Ipod Classic with its battery life and no ecosystem.
Second that that IS what I really want. BTW, 120gb ssd is cheap and reliable enough to make it viable

Old 05-09-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtiger View Post
Second that that IS what I really want. BTW, 120gb ssd is cheap and reliable enough to make it viable
The whole thing with SSDs is that the more you use it the slower it gets.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
The whole thing with SSDs is that the more you use it the slower it gets.
I don't know how much slower compared to what! I just replaced my 8yr old Zen extra with one and it works plenty fast. Keep in mind that pmp doesn't constantly access the drive as other electronic device

Old 05-09-2012, 02:28 PM

You know, after all this, I have yet to understand how iBasso got around the Android Forced SRC problem. Or is it another "trade secret"...

Old 05-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Attachment 11731So much hate.....you know that leads to....
I DO hope you remember that I have your HOME address now,...hmmm!?

And, as much of an Apple user as I am, I favor Sony gear way more. My S639 or A867 + my little FiiO E11 amp = PwnEd when it comes to garbage like this OR the HiFiMAN shit. I have SQ, battery life, custom EQ that makes a difference, and volume if needed. And, I didn't pay XXX amount of money on it in comparison to these aforementioned POS. I'm well ahead of the game,....

Old 05-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
And, as much of an Apple user as I am, I favor Sony gear way more. My S639 or A867 + my little FiiO E11 amp = PwnEd when it comes to garbage like this OR the HiFiMAN shit. I have SQ, battery life, custom EQ that makes a difference, and volume if needed. And, I didn't pay XXX amount of money on it in comparison to these aforementioned POS. I'm well ahead of the game,....
So does the A sound any different than the S, asides from EU volume issues? I remember well the sound of the S being quite good.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:48 PM

^ Depends on whether "S-Master MX" makes a difference or not. I think it's just another fancy name for a Class D amp...

Old 05-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
^ Depends on whether "S-Master MX" makes a difference or not. I think it's just another fancy name for a Class D amp...
I know that my S545, E345, and S639 that I had all sounded the same (which was quite nice if you could live without gapless playback).....but they all predated the X-series, Z-series, etc.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I find the S-Master MX crap to be just that, crap. It's just a great sounding bunch of mp3/4/5/6/7/8/9 players.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I find the S-Master MX crap to be just that, crap. It's just a great sounding bunch of mp3/4/5/6/7/8/9 players.
At least this marketing term isn't misleading like the "Class A inside" purported by HiSound (yes, another Chinese audiophile DAP company) with 100h+ of battery life. REALLY?!?!

Old 05-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lol!!! Good point,...I like my Sony gear. It's not the end all & be all, but it gets the job done nicely. And, this is without TOO big a dent in my wallet.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Lol!!! Good point,...I like my Sony gear. It's not the end all & be all, but it gets the job done nicely. And, this is without TOO big a dent in my wallet.
HiSound was officially kicked out of China's largest audiophile forum after a user cracked his HiSound Studio open and found one all-in-one chip and one op-amp. Class A amp my ass.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
HiSound was officially kicked out of China's largest audiophile forum after a user cracked his HiSound Studio open and found one all-in-one chip and one op-amp. Class A amp my ass.
Nice!!! Got a link to more info on this???