android
Old 04-20-2013, 06:29 AM

Default V1 - Transfer slow velocity + broken player

Hi folks!

Is it normal that, for trasfering about 3gb on my Sansa Fuze (v1) in the microSD it takes somethings such as 30 minutes?

Is there a way to fast this process?

Also: why if I try to transfer the files with Sansa connected with RockBox it crash? I can only if I open it with original FirmWare, both on internal memory or microSD.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Transfer speed is controlled by the speed of the Fuze so there's no way to speed that up in either the OF or Rockbox. On top of that USB problems with Rockbox on a v1 Fuze are a known issue http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS..._44_Clip_v1_41

USB transfer using Rockbox pretty much didn't work at all for me and consistently caused file corruption. It would seem that's what's causing the extremely slow transfer rate for you. When it's working properly a Fuze gets reaches about the same transfer rate as most other sandisk players.

After I've tried using Rockbox to transfer files the rate in the OF slowed to something like what you're experiencing. I checked the disc and found several files were truncated even using the OF to transfer. There were some files that had several seconds of music that weren't there.

I fixed the disc problems, deleted the files and tried again using the OF without ever using Rockbox USB. The files transferred normally. The transfer rate was between 2 to 4 Mb/s with no resulting file corruption. When I tried using Rockbox again the files seemed to transfer normally as long as I didn't move more than about half a GB.

I say "seemed to" because while they transferred at a decent speed and a disk check didn't report any problems at the time of transfer they would act up after a while. When they eventually did act up I've done a disk check and it's always showed problems with the file system. If I only used the OF for transfer, the files continued to work properly and file system problems didn't occur.

Between the USB problems and the battery life being cut I decided Rockbox on my v1 Fuze was a bad idea and removed it. I don't consider a Fuze a very good player without Rockbox so I gave all of them but one to people who don't mind the shortcomings of the OF. Three of those are in regular use and the people that have them don't seem to have any problems as long as they leave off Rockbox.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:17 AM

I feel good with Fuze and rockbox, so I think I'll keep it for myself. Just, I should transfer file with OF if no one will fix this trouble

About speed, I believe I can up it buying a Class 10 microsd? I think I'll buy a 64gb Ultra Class 10 in these days. Will it improve speed in your opinion?
And if I connect the microSD with a usb-adapter (so not trough the player) I'll improve speed?

Also: if I buy V2 of Fuze, the USB connection with Fuze/PC running RockBox is stable? Or have got the same issues? I don't understand this...! On that list just seems that V2 don't have ANY troubles (except that one of line out, which I think I don't care about)

Last edited by djfonplaz; 04-20-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Please read the first sentence of my reply again. The internal speed of the Fuze is what controls the transfer speed. You can try a faster card but it's doubtful the transfer speed will get much above 4 Mb/s. That's the fastest I've ever seen that anyone has posted. It's also the fastest I gotten with card that transfers as fast as 24 Mb/s in other devices.

The hardware in the different versions is different which accounts for the difference in how V2 works with both Rockbox and the OF. According to saratoga the hardware in the V2 is more advanced.

The audio hardware is the same so the sound quality doesn't change but battery life and responsiveness with the V2 is better. There's other differences I've read about in the OF like video won't play reliably from the external card in the OF on a V1 and they do with the V2. I don't have a complete list handy as I never much liked the Fuze and never tracked down all the known differences.

I've had several of them and used them some. Not a bad player at all, just not ideal for me. The lack of an external volume control and the quirks of the scroll wheel makes them more difficult to control on the go than I prefer.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:50 AM

Ok! So I think I'll buy an usb/microsd adapter, and trasfer file with a Class 10 card, which must be MORE faster, right?

Old 04-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Card Class rating in connection to USB transfer speed is a frequently misunderstood. TBH I'm not sure I have it completely right. From what I found when I read up on why some cards are faster than others and how Class ratings are measured it seems Class rating is tested as the internal transfer speed in a camera, not over an external bus. The Class 10 card should transfer faster in a card reader but the higher Class rating doesn't guarantee that it will.

The card I have that transfers at 24 Mb/s in a Nook Color has a Class rating of 4. I've got other cards that have a Class 8 rating and never reach above 4 Mb/s. That doesn't mean the Class 8 is defective. When I put that Class 8 in my camera I can shoot rapid fire as long as the battery holds up or the card fills up. There can be a lag with the Class 4 but it usually keeps up.

All this is to say that your best bet is a faster card in a card reader. You may find it much faster but don't be too surprised if it doesn't reach the speed you think it might. It will almost certainly be faster than in the Fuze. sandisk players are among the slowest I know in file transfer. Almost as slow as Sonys.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:24 PM

Personally, I think Class 10 cards are a waste of money when using them with any mp3 player. Sure, if you put the card in a card reader and load up several GB's of music files at one time, it will save you a few minutes, but as mentioned when using the Fuze (or any player) to load content onto the card you will see no benefit at all as the transfer rate is controlled/limited by the host machine.

How many times are you going to actually load up several GB's of files at one time? If you have a large library and you want to transfer this to a memory card in one sitting yeah, you'll save some time . . . once. When are you ever going to do it again? Sure, you may want to delete a few [songs] and replace them with a few more occasionally, but the transfer isn't going to be that large, so time reduction would be minimal at best.

Most people load a few mb's at a time over a period of time, as they rip a few of their CD's or acquire/download new music, transfer them to the card, lather, rinse and repeat. This process make take days, weeks, months, or even years. Doing it this way you're not going to notice a huge time savings in each 'session', so is the faster write speed cost and/or time effective? Is saving a couple minutes here and there really going to make a big difference in your life?

These faster cards are designed for cameras as they have a faster write speed (quick succession of still shots, video and HD). While their read speed may also be slightly enhanced, reading an .mp3 file on a portable player is not very taxing and you won't see any noticeable difference.

Add to this the fact that there have been numerous reports of problems using Class 10 cards with Sansa players, and not only are there no benefits and higher cost, but you may be asking for trouble and frustration whereas if you just get a Class 2 or 4 card you pay less, there have been no reported issues and it just works.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm View Post
How many times are you going to actually load up several GB's of files at one time? If you have a large library and you want to transfer this to a memory card in one sitting yeah, you'll save some time . . . once. When are you ever going to do it again? Sure, you may want to delete a few [songs] and replace them with a few more occasionally, but the transfer isn't going to be that large, so time reduction would be minimal at best.
Well, I'm a "music" maniac. I've a collection of 900/200 vinyls/cd more or less, and my mp3/flac database are about 500gb.

I used to going with iPOD video + 240gb, but I don't like it so much as player.
So, being a developer, I'm build my own Software in C# (yes, I'm maniac) that choose folders on my pc, order them randomly and start to transfer to the destination folder till it reach the max size.

So I'm going to make this process of "transfer" often (having the possibility of listen all my files, during the time).

Yes, I should take some SD cards and have a sort of microLibrary, but than it will be unmanageable: I can't remember on which card I put things. And if I repleace/delete/add/update some files (which are records in a label)? How can i remember where I put what?).

So I think this is a nice strategy... keeping a card reader and link it to usb port I'll got what I want I guess.