android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2012, 07:49 PM

Default Need cheap Clip Zip phones for classical that won't block out sounds or rip my hair

I asked for a recommendation for a portable media player on these forums recently, and I have been very happy with the resulting purchase. So, thank you again, helpful AnythingButIPod.com members! I was hoping that I might be able to get some suggestions for phones as well, since the complementary earbuds probably won't last forever. I'll try to stick to the list in the stickied topic:
  • Price Range: I would prefer to spend <30 USD, and probably will not be willing to go much higher than 50 USD. I am using a Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip with Rockbox, so to the extent that such might be a limiting factor for sound quality/value, please keep that in mind.
  • Type/Design: My main concerns are portability, audibility of external noises (I need to hear approaching vehicles and such), and a design that won't catch my long hair. This tends to eliminate most full size headphones, as they almost all either block out external sounds or have shifting/locking parts or corners/unrounded grooves that snag my hair like crazy.
  • Primary location of use: Mostly, I have been using my complementary earbuds while walking from place to place, while sitting in open venues such as restaurants and libraries, and while traveling in any mode of transportation other than a privately owned vehicle (I can use cassette adapters/3.5mm cables/portable speakers then). I will probably be using whatever I end up getting for myself in the same manner.
  • Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: I listen almost exclusively to classical music. As such, midrange and frequency balance are very important to me, and bass is much less important than it is for most people. I'd like a nice, clear, perhaps even liquid sound.
  • Media: Almost exclusively classical music, as listed above. I mainly listen to orchestral works, concertos, choral works (both accompanied and a capella), chamber music, and duets/trios. I generally do not listen to unaccompanied solo performances.
  • Source: As before, I will mostly use the phones with my new Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip with Rockbox. I may use them for my computer on occasion if I feel the need for both computer audio and privacy.
  • Location: I live in a rural area in the northern reaches of the North American Atlantic Seaboard. The area is sufficiently remote that I expect to be ordering from an online vendor - local electronics offerings are sparse and unimpressive.

Other specifications: I will be plugging and unplugging the phones a lot, as I plug my Clip Zip into portable speakers whenever I am at home, and the cassette adapter whenever I am in my car. As such, durability is helpful - after only two weeks of use, already the complementary earbuds from Sandisk are fraying at the wire housing toward the connector end, and the foam earbud coverings have been lost.

I appreciate your help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tags
cheap budget, classical music, long hair, midrange, phones recommendations