android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

View Poll Results: Which technology do you prefer?
Dynamic Drivers 4 33.33%
Balanced Armatures 0 0%
Both 8 66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Get that list ready,...I'm all ears!
Here's a quick short list and if I made mistakes or have omitted some others that are in a lower price point please feel free to correct me and add to this list. I've only heard the A151s so you'll have to research reviews for the others.
  • VSonic GR01 US $185
  • Feels Pro900 US $54.00
  • Astrotec AM-90 US $44.00
  • SoundMagic PL50 US $54.00
  • DUNU DN-13 "Crius" US $70.00
  • MEE A151 US $55.00
  • MEE A161P (out by end of May 12, no price yet)

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I will be impressed when great sounding durably built BA IEMs are under $20. I am impressed than 32GB micro SDHC cards are down to $30. I remember that in 2000 64meg compact flash cards were $200. So now you get 500 times as much storage for 1/6 of the price in a size that is something like 1/30th? of the compact flash.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

great sounding and durable for under $20. I cant think of an IEM that fits that, period. There are some that are great considering their price, but not great in general. Riptidz fit that description, but even my e10 kicks the crap out them IMO. but at $9 the Riptidz are truly impressive. The cheapest great sounding IEM I have personally had was the ckm99. I didnt think it was proportionally better than the e10 though so I sold them.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I will be impressed when great sounding durably built BA IEMs are under $20. I am impressed than 32GB micro SDHC cards are down to $30. I remember that in 2000 64meg compact flash cards were $200. So now you get 500 times as much storage for 1/6 of the price in a size that is something like 1/30th? of the compact flash.
While prices have dropped some for some BA IEMs and BA customs I doubt you will ever see under $20.00 unless it’s a close out price to move discontinued product off the shelf or open box items. While the reduction of price of portable memory cards is great, your comparison is flawed. Memory cards can be used by billions of users around the world who uses mobile phones, cameras and any other type of portable gear. On the other hand the IEM market is a niche market and while I’ll admit there’s an a lot of ibud users almost anywhere I go, the number of users will never come close to the amount of memory card users so there’s no production savings from mass production like there is for memory cards.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There's 3 BA IEM's I want to try from Sony. They say that they sound fantastic.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:23 PM

^ Indeed. I'm quite interested in the XBA-3 and the XBA-4.
Also I seriously wish that the Westone 4 R isn't another oily and muffled BA IEM.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:43 PM

With the XBA-3 selling at $279.99 and the XBA-4 selling at $349.99 they’re definitely not in the low end of the price spectrum which we have been talking about for those that just want to test out BA's. Newegg has them here and here

Old 04-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The XBA-3 is the one I was eyeing,...and I still am. I'll be patient, as tomorrow is another day.

I corrected "say" to "day",...HTH???

Last edited by The DarkSide; 04-28-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:00 AM

Default Sony XBA-3

Quote:
The XBA-3 is the one I was eyeing,...and I still am. I'll be patient, as tomorrow is another say.
Have you read about them? The deal killer for me with the XBA-3 is tri-fold:
  • Cord design - right side cord is substantially longer than the left, so you have to wear the IEMs with the cord going down one side. I’m not sure if you’ve tried that before but I simply can not live with the pull of the left side on this type of design and with previous designs like this the left IEM for me always gets pulled out. This cable design also leads to cable microphonics during active use because you can not wear the cables up over the ears as easily.
  • Housing design - While I’ll agree that the gunmetal silver/grey & chrome looks very smexy, looks are not everything. The housing design looks to me that it would stick out too far from my ear, it may not fit in deep enough which reduces isolation and makes it much harder to get a good seal. From my experience with this type of design (I’m guessing) they are wind noise magnets. I may really like an IEMs sound signature but wind noise is a deal killer for me ...
  • Bass – I am only going from what I’ve read on the net but statements like “the bass is weaker than the AKG 701s” is not inspiring. Or “the bass is clean and tight but there’s not a lot of it.”
While I'm sure that many people love the sound quality and can live with these issues. I simply can not and with a $280.00 price tag sony should be ashamed of it. IMO IEMs are not for home use and these issues should always be thought of before designing a product for mobile use.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I hate j cords.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
I hate j cords.
Completely agree 200%, I just don't know/understand how some people like j cords. Also, I may have been a little harsh on the sony and I have not tried them but these are my observations based on previous experience with other IEMs. This conversation started about an affordable way to test BA driven IEMs, IMO $280.00 is not an affordable way to test the technology. I paid that much for my SE530s back when I bought them and while they had their flaws they didn’t have the one’s I mentioned here, the design was streamlined and well thought out. Finally I forgot to mention YMMV and these are my personal opinions.

Edit: For someone to spend $280.00 to test BA tech they must have a lot of disposable income. For that price I honestly think there are better options. I posted low cost/affordable options for those that would like to test the tech without breaking the bank and if you don’t like them, I’m sure you could re-sell for a slight loss. I did test the A151s for weeks and even reviewed them, of the 3 IEMs provided for testing from MEElectronics the A151s are the only ones I kept and continue to use (FYI I don't make a cent for this recommendation). While they are not for everyone (thus the list of other low cost BA options), they provide a low cost option for testing BAs and they are fun to hear. For those that haven’t tested the technology, I would highly recommend it base on what I wrote here about BA’s BTW I’m using them all day today

Last edited by WalkGood; 04-28-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, j cord = PASS!!! Thanks, AGAIN, WG. I guess I'll reconsider the A151,...to get a recommendation from you it has to be up to snuff!

Old 04-28-2012, 10:49 AM

What's everyone's grudge against J-cords? My very first earbud (not IEM) has that design and I never found a single problem with such a design. J-cords even have the advantage of just dangling your buds over your shoulders when you're not using them, a feature that I really miss on the EX1000. Yeah the Teknorote is real soft.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Ok, j cord = PASS!!! Thanks, AGAIN, WG. I guess I'll reconsider the A151,...to get a recommendation from you it has to be up to snuff!
I’m only trying to make a low cost suggestion to you so you don’t spend an arm and a leg and you won’t be out much. For all I know you may not like BA driven IEMs like 3602 said earlier, thus the low cost list VS the large spend off the bat. If you do like them, then just imagine how much better the high end stuff is and some of them truly are. In the rare case you don’t like the sound qualities or the housing doesn’t work for you, gift them to one of the kids, a good friend or just sell. You should know in the first few days. Armatures do not need any burn-in (if you believe in that) and sound just as good out of the box as they will in 6 months or more

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
What's everyone's grudge against J-cords? …
  • Tugs on left IEM (or the shorter side)
  • Pulls out of ear easier due to this tug
  • Much harder to wear over the ear and down the inside of your shirt because the cords are not equal length
  • Microphonics are easily created by wearing IEMs straight down, allows them to rub against the outside of your shirt causing a rubbing noise or bounce around if your active thus creating a thumping sound because the longer cord has a lot of play
  • Harder to coil evenly when you want to pack them into carrying case during non use or travel
  • The ones I’ve owned tangle easier do to the long sided cord
  • Finally for the really picky … gives an unbalanced look to the user

Old 04-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I hate j cords, since I'm always pulling one iem out of my ear because the cable is a PITA for me. And I don't like 'em "behind the neck" either. I'll ONLY use an iem with a y split,...that's it. Some don't mind, but for me a j cable sux.

And the low cost test alternatives are appreciated WG, as the Sony's are a bit expensive. Especially with the STUPID j cable,...

Old 04-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

more pressure on the short side for me. plus I dont like all the extra on the J side. its always in the way for me. Its a personal preference...but it happens to be a personal preference shared by many. as far as dangling them when not in use, I do it al the time with my Y cords...with my shirt clip

Old 04-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't mind J cords, however straight plugs annoy me very much. I wish all earphones would have a right angle plug.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:06 AM

I voted both, although I haven't been using dynamic driver IEMs for a good 2-3 years by now. What I like about BA designs is that they can be so very small. My Jays Q-Jays are so tiny, I am able to basically put the entire IEM into my ear while retaining comfort and SQ.

I don't use IEMs for ultra-critical listening, so I don't mind if the sound is not perfect.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I wish all earphones would have a right angle plug.
Yeah, those are becoming quite rare nowadays. Those 45 degree plugs are poor replacements IMO.

I can't really say which technology I like better since I've only tried one pair of phones from each (Vibes and PFEs). Would love to try more models, but school keeps eating all my money.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:41 PM

I hate to continue off topic but I'm confused or was this a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El C View Post
Yeah, those are becoming quite rare nowadays. Those 45 degree plugs are poor replacements IMO. ...
right angle 3.5mm plugs are common on higher end IEMs as well as on some lower end IEMs. If a right angled plug is not included one can always mod the straight plug to either this or that (there are other brands as well). Typically right angled plugs are 90 degrees or somewhat close to 90. That said, I'm not sure what you mean above when you say "45 degree plug" or I've just not seen one. Can you provide an example or a picture?