android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 04-22-2012, 10:13 PM

Default $100 Best Buy Gift Card what to buy?

So I've had this hundred dollar best buy gift card sitting here for ages and Ive decided to spend it on some IEMs. I know Best Buy doesnt have the best stuff, so can anyone recommend me a good balanced IEM for around that price that best buy does carry?

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-22-2012, 11:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Klipsch phones have received good reviews for the price (reviewers will say that they sound like they cost much more), and are right within your price-range. And, stop at the post office and pick up a moving packet, which generally includes a 10-percent-off coupon for BB . . . .

Old 04-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

On another forum people mentioned that you could use a Best Buy gift card to buy an Amazon Gift card. This sounds strange, but perhaps it might be true? Amazon has a much better selection of IEMs and much better pricing. If it is true, I wonder if these Anazon cards can be used for anything on Amazon, or are they limited?

Old 04-22-2012, 11:53 PM

Hm, I actually had a pair of Klipsch s4s and was not impressed. They simply did not last at all to normal use. Could have been a bad pair but I'd rather not try those again.

I wonder if they meant selling the best buy gift card and using it to buy something @ amazon? Or buy an amazon gift card @ best buy? I'll have to look into it.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

They meant buying the Amazon gift card at Best Buy using a Best Buy gift card. I wonder though if there are any restrictions on what you can buy at Amazon with this Amazon gift card.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
They meant buying the Amazon gift card at Best Buy using a Best Buy gift card. I wonder though if there are any restrictions on what you can buy at Amazon with this Amazon gift card.
not usually. those gift cards are traditional gift cars in every case I have seen. That would be my suggestion. If you cant do that, Best Buy has more selections online from other sellers that may open your choices up some. They have a better headphone selection than IEMs. Sony EB series, the koss djs and a couple of seinhesers can be had reasonably priced, especially if you watch sales.

If you do want an IEM for sure, they have Ety and Sony options at not too high of a price. I have heard good things about the Sol line as well.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
... I wonder though if there are any restrictions on what you can buy at Amazon with this Amazon gift card.
What are the restrictions for using a gift card?
Quote:
Gift Cards cannot be used to purchase other gift cards or applied to any order containing another gift card. Please read our Terms & Conditions for a full list of rules and restrictions.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-23-2012, 07:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

since that is in amazons terms I wonder if it is in Best Buy's as well. I am too lazy to look it up though

Old 04-23-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
since that is in amazons terms I wonder if it is in Best Buy's as well. I am too lazy to look it up though
If you can buy an amazon gift card at BB I doubt they have any different restrictions or add on restrictions to an amazon card. And amazon has so much more of a selection than BB if it is possible to get a card there, that's the route I'd take but we're all different.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

i meant does best buy say you cant buy a gc with another gc.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:02 PM

I called a couple of best buys and got conflicting information. I guess the only way to find out for sure is to go in and try.

Best Buy online definitely seems like it has a better variety. I gues sthey'r ekind of like amazon now and allow people to use their site as a marketplace.

Suggestions still greatly appreciated.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
i meant does best buy say you cant buy a gc with another gc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcazmo View Post
I called a couple of best buys and got conflicting information. I guess the only way to find out for sure is to go in and try. ...
I didn't see that you were not allowed to buy a amazon gift card in the conditions of use with their gift cards here, but who knows what they'll say.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

yeah, the stores make something off of the gift cards or they wouldn't sell them in the first place. It makes no difference to best buys income if you pay cash for an amazon gift card or use a best buy gift card to buy it. at some point they got their $100.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:04 PM

Well it worked. I now have 100 dollars to spend @ amazon. Any recommendations?

That list of iems is so huge its hard research all of them.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcazmo View Post
Well it worked. I now have 100 dollars to spend @ amazon. Any recommendations?

That list of iems is so huge its hard research all of them.
Congrats, that should open up your selection very wide now. Aside from your budget and first post saying “a good balanced IEM,” I see you also want something that’s very durable (not klipsch, read from post 4). Could you post some additional info that Adub refers to here so more members can recommend better.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

oh yeah, amazon busts it wide open. more info is def required. If I didnt have any IEMs and had $100 to spend at amazon I think I would get a couple of sets like soundmagic e10 and meelec a151 and then maybe a set of riptidz to beat around in. that is 3 sets that cover a couple of different sounds and a third with decent all around that come in super cheap for the gym or whatever...but thats just me.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What type of sound do you want? What types of music do you listen to?
Do you want to spend around $100, more or less? Are you looking for a neutral sounding IEM, or one with extra bass? How important is isolation for you?

You could search through this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mult...added-04-19-12

The Sony XBA-1, Etymotic HF5, and the ATH-CKS55 intrigue me. These are between $50 and $100. The first two are balanced armature with plenty of detail, but not deep bass. They are most suited for classical and other music where midrange detail is crucial. The CKS55 is bass heavy. I have the Panasonic RP-HJE450($25) and like it very much. It doesn't isolate so well, but is very comfortable(ergonomic shape with oval nozzles), and has strong bass that sounds natural, and good detail. I am also considering the Meelectronics CW31, CX21, and M21. Those are around $30 each.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

OMG!!! All you link to anymore is head-fi!!! I have no problems with head-fi, but doesn't anything on this site count anymore??? Man, we're not obsolete, are we?!?!?! Sheesh,...

Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Since he is posting in the headphone forum on ABI, I assume that he's read through it. He didn't mention looking at head-fi, so i decided it was another source. ABI has many more posts about players than head-fi, but head-fi has many more posts about headphones and earphones than ABI.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
What type of sound do you want? What types of music do you listen to?
Do you want to spend around $100, more or less? Are you looking for a neutral sounding IEM, or one with extra bass? How important is isolation for you? ...
The question of more information was already asked here and here, we’ve been waiting for a response. He did state the budget, good balanced IEM (I'm guessing sound sig and not a balanced rig ), and very durable.

Edit: BTW if anyone's wondering, I cleaned up some of the off-topic posts

Last edited by WalkGood; 04-26-2012 at 06:55 AM.