android
  #1  
Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 AM
3602's Avatar
3602 3602 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 390
Default Output coupling capacitors

I was wondering, if I replace 220 F couplers with 470 F or even 1000 F caps, what is going to happen to the sound? If I am correct, bass depth will improve when using low-impedance headphones, right? But what will happen to the rest of the sound? Will treble response decrease? Will there be transient currents when powering on/off due to the increased capacity?

Thank you all!
__________________
Portable: Sansa Clip+ RockBox'd > Sony MDR-NC500D
Home: Luxman D-90 > Luxman L-3 > psb Alpha B1
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 04-20-2012, 11:16 AM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,644
Default

Depends on the specific design of your device, but generally too small output coupling capacitors can at as a high pass filter. I wouldn't bother though unless you've already established that they're a problem.
__________________
Interested in Google's Summer of Code ? PM me.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 04-20-2012, 11:58 AM
3602's Avatar
3602 3602 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 390
Default

Output capacitors are a problem due to the decreased bass depth. You don't even need to listen, just graph a FR spec loaded at 8, 16 and 32 ohms.

As I can't exact swap the S-Master chip for an MAX9722, at least I can augment the capacity of the couplers. But what adverse effects will this cause...
__________________
Portable: Sansa Clip+ RockBox'd > Sony MDR-NC500D
Home: Luxman D-90 > Luxman L-3 > psb Alpha B1
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 04-20-2012, 01:09 PM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
Output capacitors are a problem due to the decreased bass depth.
No, they can be. If they actually are depends on the circuit they're used in. As I said, this is not something worth considering until you've established that they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
As I can't exact swap the S-Master chip for an MAX9722, at least I can augment the capacity of the couplers. But what adverse effects will this cause...
What are you talking about?
__________________
Interested in Google's Summer of Code ? PM me.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 04-20-2012, 01:23 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,061
Default

Sounds like he plans on modding a Sony mp3 player,...
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 04-21-2012, 02:01 PM
3602's Avatar
3602 3602 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
No, they can be. If they actually are depends on the circuit they're used in. As I said, this is not something worth considering until you've established that they are.
Ladies and gentlemen: Problem.
(Source: Maxim-IC)
Output capacitors cause bass roll-off when driving light impedances. Pure and simple.
http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Compa...2016%20Ohm.htm
Attached Images
File Type: png Selection_048.png (53.7 KB, 9 views)
__________________
Portable: Sansa Clip+ RockBox'd > Sony MDR-NC500D
Home: Luxman D-90 > Luxman L-3 > psb Alpha B1
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 04-21-2012, 03:25 PM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,644
Default

Which of those cowon players are you trying to modify?
__________________
Interested in Google's Summer of Code ? PM me.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 04-21-2012, 05:19 PM
3602's Avatar
3602 3602 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 390
Default

I'm not trying to modify anything yet. I just wanted to know what bad things would happen if I am to replace 220 F couplers with 1000 F ones. I even have a pair of 4700 F power reservoirs. If nothing bad would happen (I am anticipating treble roll-off and large amounts of transient currents upon shut-down) then I can start swapping caps.
__________________
Portable: Sansa Clip+ RockBox'd > Sony MDR-NC500D
Home: Luxman D-90 > Luxman L-3 > psb Alpha B1
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 04-21-2012, 05:42 PM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
I'm not trying to modify anything yet. I just wanted to know what bad things would happen if I am to replace 220 F couplers with 1000 F ones.
Since you still haven't said what you're trying to modify, I don't see how you can expect an answer to that question
__________________
Interested in Google's Summer of Code ? PM me.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 04-21-2012, 05:53 PM
3602's Avatar
3602 3602 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 390
Default

Marantz PCD520. Ring a bell? Don't think so.

EDIT: You know, I've seen $800 players with 100 F coupling caps. Which is incredible, really, since the cheap Clip+ is directly coupled.

Again I pose this question: Will increasing coupling capacitor size (capacity) bring adverse effects to sound? Will increasing coupling capacitor size (capacity) cause large transient currents (released from these caps) upon shut-down? This is not player-dependent as I have seen others replace 100 F caps with 4700 F ones on sound-cards.

EDIT II:You know what? Thank you for your help. I am now directing this question to experts.
__________________
Portable: Sansa Clip+ RockBox'd > Sony MDR-NC500D
Home: Luxman D-90 > Luxman L-3 > psb Alpha B1

Last edited by 3602; 04-21-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 04-21-2012, 06:20 PM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
Again I pose this question: Will increasing coupling capacitor size (capacity) bring adverse effects to sound?
It depends on the specific device. If its literally just a coupling capacitor, I think most likely it won't do anything, unless the device wasn't well designed, in which case it might help. If its not just a coupling capacitor, and you swap it, you're on your own

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
Will increasing coupling capacitor size (capacity) cause large transient currents (released from these caps) upon shut-down?
No, when power is disconnected, they're slowly discharge through whatever resistance is present in the circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
This is not player-dependent as I have seen others replace 100 F caps with 4700 F ones on sound-cards.
Yes it is! Not all players even have coupling capacitors. Not all loads will roll off (since they have reactance of their own). That is why you need to actually measure the roll off and see if its a problem before blindly pulling parts out of a sound card.
__________________
Interested in Google's Summer of Code ? PM me.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 04-21-2012, 06:20 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,061
Default

A "vintage" portable cd player,...how sweet,...
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 AM
sszorin sszorin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
I was wondering, if I replace 220 F couplers with 470 F or even 1000 F caps, what is going to happen to the sound? If I am correct, bass depth will improve when using low-impedance headphones, right? But what will happen to the rest of the sound? Will treble response decrease? Will there be transient currents when powering on/off due to the increased capacity?

Thank you all!
Don't ! I hope you did not swap capacitors. As far as I know the bigger value mF [no greek letters on keyboard] would give this vintage player a less dynamic , slower sound. If you did the swap, what was the result to your ears ?
Are you planning to keep this Marantz PCD-520 ?
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.