android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 03-03-2007, 10:49 AM

Much appreciated from the both of you...I'll report back any progress once I have had an opportunity to go and experience some of the things we've spoken about in real world action for myself. The bass freqs get first crack as long as v-moda indeed does ship me the new pair they said they would. If those dont do the trick for me, then on to the CX's. Thanks again!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-04-2007, 07:44 AM

dfkt, have you heard the Shure E500PTH? How do they sound compared to the E4c's?
I was looking at Shure's website and I don't think they come with a right angle plug. Do you know if they do and what other options are there...because I won't buy them if they don't have a right angle plug.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The Shure E500/E530 is probably the absolute best non-custom IEM you can buy. You can't compare the triple-armature E500 to the single-armature E4c. It has a much better overall sound response, bass, mids and treble - and probably the best soundstage of any IEM. It might sound better with an amp.

I don't know for sure if they have an angled plug... I'm also thinking of getting the E500/E530, and if they do have a straight plug I'm simply going to solder an angled Neutrik plug to it.

This frequency response comparison graph might be interesting for you: http://www.headphone.com/technical/p...are+Headphones

Old 03-04-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The Shure E500/E530 is probably the absolute best non-custom IEM you can buy. You can't compare the triple-armature E500 to the single-armature E4c. It has a much better overall sound response, bass, mids and treble - and probably the best soundstage of any IEM. It might sound better with an amp.

I don't know for sure if they have an angled plug... I'm also thinking of getting the E500/E530, and if they do have a straight plug I'm simply going to solder an angled Neutrik plug to it.

This frequency response comparison graph might be interesting for you: http://www.headphone.com/technical/p...are+Headphones
Thanks for the info dfkt...that graph is pretty cool.
I can't imagine why they wouldn't put an angled plug on them when all there other iem's have them...could be they were getting complaints from all the ipod owners..lol.
Can those Neutrik plugs be purchased in the US?

Old 03-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, definitely... EnzoTen just bought one for his V-Moda Vibe.

Here's the link: http://www.neutrik.com/content/produ...=CatMSDE_audio

Neutrik make highest quality studio connectors, none of that "audiophile" nonsense, but solid real-world-usage quality. I already soldered one onto my Beyerdynamic DT770/80.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:30 AM

Ok thanks for the link dfkt...I might order a pair of the E500's today...
Any tips on soldering...what solder is best and whatever else.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmm... considering we're talking about a pair of $500 IEMs, maybe go to some audio or guitar store and let it be soldered by a professional. Shouldn't cost more than $10-20, I guess.

Please let me know what you think of the E500 once you get it! Thanks!

Old 03-04-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Hmmm... considering we're talking about a pair of $500 IEMs, maybe go to some audio or guitar store and let it be soldered by a professional. Shouldn't cost more than $10-20, I guess.

Please let me know what you think of the E500 once you get it! Thanks!
Yeah I think your right...wouldn't want to mess them up...

And I'll definitely let you know what I think of them...

Old 03-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm going to shoot some photos of the Neutrik plug on my DT770's, so people get an idea about the size and feeling of this awesome 3.5mm plug.

I'll link it later.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I'm going to shoot some photos of the Neutrik plug on my DT770's, so people get an idea about the size and feeling of this awesome 3.5mm plug.

I'll link it later.
That be great dfkt..

I need to move to Germany with my relation so I can just go into a store pick some of this awesome stuff up..

Old 03-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, here's the pics of the Neutrik plug: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=10782

Old 03-07-2007, 03:48 PM

Well I have the Shure E500's...
Anyway hope I don't disappoint anybody but there not as great as I thought they'd be...actually they sound a lot like the E4c's..I'm reading a lot of reviews on the E500's how great there are but honestly to me there not much better than the E4c's.
They fit ok...and I'm getting a good seal..but they still have that sound that sometimes sounds empty...like there's something missing...almost like your listening to something with a very low bitrate even when the source is a very high bitrate... but that's not with all music just some music...
You know the UE's super fi pro's may not be as accurate but I really like there sound even though it might be a little colored...because I find that there's just to many songs that I don't enjoy listening to with the Shure's and not enough songs that sound awesome...But the one thing I love about the E500's are vocals..there are absolutely awesome...but the instruments in the backround don't seem to have any life or something.
I wish I could stick the vocals of the E500's into the Super fi pro's..
I think I'm going to return these and get the Super fi's...
And you were right about the Super fi's dfkt.
Hope I didn't disappoint anyone..

Old 03-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmm... maybe the E500 really need an amp to sound their best. I read it over on Head-Fi several times. Something like the Xin SuperMicro-IV, LaRocco PRII or the RSA Tomahawk. In the high-end audio nirvana it never stops...

Today I went to the guitar shop and tested the Shure E5c (again) - they're a lot clearer than the Super.Fi, have good bass and a lot better mids and treble, but they're analytical like the Etymotics... a style of sound I don't really like that much. Compared to my Beyerdynamic DT770 the E5c sounded like crap (but the Super.Fi even more, of course). Of course I'm only talking about what I'm hearing with my own ears.

Seems like it's Shure and Etymotic vs. Ultimate Ears and V-Moda - analysis vs. fun...

Old 03-07-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Hmmm... maybe the E500 really need an amp to sound their best. I read it over on Head-Fi several times. Something like the Xin SuperMicro-IV, LaRocco PRII or the RSA Tomahawk. In the high-end audio nirvana it never stops...

Today I went to the guitar shop and tested the Shure E5c (again) - they're a lot clearer than the Super.Fi, have good bass and a lot better mids and treble, but they're analytical like the Etymotics... a style of sound I don't really like that much. Compared to my Beyerdynamic DT770 the E5c sounded like crap (but the Super.Fi even more, of course). Of course I'm only talking about what I'm hearing with my own ears.

Seems like it's Shure and Etymotic vs. Ultimate Ears and V-Moda - analysis vs. fun...
You could be right about the amp dfkt...but thats something I'm not really into...haven't got that obsessed yet...lol..
It's already a pain for me to carry around my mp3 player and iem's let alone an amp. So I don't think I'll got that way.
So are you saying you like the E5c's better than the super fi pro's?? I haven't tried the E5c's.
This headphone thing is driving me crazy...

Old 03-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My statement above ("sounds like crap") was too harsh... everything is there with the E5c - bass, mids, treble, soundstage, clarity, isolation - but I didn't find them engaging or fun to listen to... same problem I have with Etymotic phones. The V-Moda Vibes are fun for a lot of things, the Super.Fi are fun for electronic music, Reggae and computer games... but I wouldn't know when I would use the E5c. They wouldn't be my first choice for almost any music I'm listening to.

Like the Etyotic, the Shures would be great tools for producing/mixing/mastering music, but not for listening to - IMO. And the isolation is excellent, btw - for my ears a lot better than the Super.Fi's.

I wish I could finally test the E500 and see what's all the fuss about them... but the store is slow.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:39 PM

Ok dfkt...
You know I mostly listen to Jazz and smooth jazz but it's like the E500's even take something away from that...
I'd like to keep these E500's but I just don't enjoy listening to some of my music...I think dollar for dollar the super fi's pro's blow the E500's away since you can get the super fi's pro's for about 200 dollars cheaper. But like you said maybe the E500's need an amp.
Let me know if you try out the E500's and what you think...because I really thought they were just a little better than the E4c's..and they played a little louder than the E4c's. But I found myself turning up the treble in my eq...than it sounded better.

Edit: btw, dfkt the D2 doesn't have a line-out.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:24 PM

How do the Cresyn LMX-E630's sound and do they isolate ambient noise well?

Old 03-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.zhao2891 View Post
How do the Cresyn LMX-E630's sound and do they isolate ambient noise well?
They're probably not too bad... Creative rebranded them too, AFAIK.

Read more here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...resyn+LMX-E630
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...resyn+LMX-E630

Old 03-09-2007, 05:11 PM

EDIT: Decided against the V-Moda Bass Freq. Figured I should spend a few extra dollars and get a good pair that'll last me. Anybody try the Panasonic HJE-70s? I've read some good reviews about them... Considering those or the Metro.fi 2 by UE. I'm not in a particular rush so maybe I'll wait for an E2C or Super. fi 3 to go on sale but some input on the Panasonics and Metro.fi 2s would be much appreciated

Old 03-12-2007, 12:57 PM

dfkt, I just wanted to update on my feelings about the Shure E500's...well I got my Cowon D2 and Man is it Awesome...the E500's came alive...everything sounds awesome, more detail in the music and now I can hear the high's beautifully...the snare drum's are so clear it's like your there in the room with the band..and honestly it's just not my imagination because I got the new player it really is a whole lot better...I really wasn't expecting it to be that great after reading on some forums that the D2's sound is "OK" and has "Sibilance" but I haven't experienced that.
So I'm keeping the E500's... But that stupid straight plug of the E500's sticks out of the D2 like a sore thumb...lol. I gotta do something about that.

Tags
earphone, iem, in-ear phone