android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 01-02-2007, 12:20 PM

DFKT

I have found a US Ebayer who can ship E500PTT for £180, that is half of UK retail price.

Two questions

1 how far into the ear do E500 penetrate compared with my very comfy CX300.

2 Regarding the V-Moda Vibes, again how far do they penetrate. How less isolating are they compared with CX300.

Happy New Year to all

Cheers

Aardvark

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-02-2007, 12:25 PM

1) A little further, like most upper-class IEMs - but Shures are said to be pretty comfortable, contrary to Etymotics and Super.Fi's... best you read some reviews over at Head-Fi, regarding the comfort.

That price sounds amazing, hope it's not a rip-off.

2) A little less - the Vibes block treble as good as most other IEMs, but not bass and mids.

Happy new year to you, too!

Old 01-02-2007, 12:30 PM

$350 US in free shipping but at the moment the £ Sterling is worth almost $2 US

Old 01-16-2007, 08:32 PM

I own the Creative EP-630 and the SkullCandy Smokin Buds...

The SkullCandy sound better and there less money..20 bucks at staples and there more comfortable.

The Creative EP-630 sound good to but the highs, mids, lows all sound exaggerated.

The SkullCandy Smokin Buds have perfect highs, and perfect lows..but slightly less in the midrange. And the feel better in my ears for longer periods of time...could be due to the shape of the rubber section. One thing I dislike about them is the inline volume control...which I never use..but it just moves to easily...which sometimes gets moved accidentally.

SkullCandy Smokin buds link:

http://www.skullcandy.com/product_in...rs&category=38

Old 01-16-2007, 08:45 PM

You're the first person that said anything good about Skullcandies... they don't get much love otherwise.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207853
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=214592
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=183642
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154285

Old 01-18-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Yeah actually I found out about them on this site...they used to be listed on your list of "good IEM's". I see that they've been removed.

I did see a couple people posted on this thread that they liked them.

I listed to mostly Jazz..I think they sound awesome...I read some reviews at other places that they had problems with them like one of the ears buds going dead...and I know for sure this has been a problem because I recommended them to a friend and he said they sound awesome but one of the buds went dead...but I bought 2 sets one for each of my nephews and they've had No problems with them.
Maybe listening to rock at high volumes might be a weak point with these but with Jazz and music similar there great.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:06 PM

Ok I wanted to make an update on my favorite cheap iem's:

Well I have both the Creative ep-630 and the skull candy smokin buds...well I previously said I liked the skull candy better than the Creative ep-630's...
But in the meantime when I first got the Ep-630's they sounded harsh to me and the bass seemed to loose...so I relegated them to just using them on my PC..and kept my skull candy smokin buds for my mp3 player...well now that I've been using the ep-630's on my PC for about 6 months the highs and mids mellowed out and the bass got tighter...because I tryed them on my mp3 player and now I like them better than the skull candy smokin buds.

I listen to jazz and smooth jazz and I hate earbuds that sound harsh...I like earbuds that sound like your hearing your music from my home audio setup...and some earbuds just have way to much treble harshness that makes them sound unrealistic.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:35 PM

dfkt, I'm gonna be getting a new D2 soon and I want to buy a good set of IEM's...and I've never tried either of them out ..it's between the UE super fi 5 pro and the Shure e4c...which one would you suggest?
I really hate the look of the etymotic's so I'm not going with them.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:58 PM

Hmm... I'm not that familiar with the E4c (none of my friends have it), but from the time I spent listening to it in the store I'd say it has better resolution and separation than the SF5. More midrange, less treble than the SF5. More bass on the SF5. Isolation should be more or less the same. The SF5 have less cable microphonics, due to their "memory wire" stuff that goes over the ears. I really like that wire thing, keeps the SF's safely in the ears. The SF's could be too big for people with small ears. E4c are smaller. SF5 have a user replaceable cable, very convenient. SF5 feel more sturdy and solid than E4c.

Maybe both can be described like this - E4c are "neutral musical" phones, SF5 are "fun to listen to" phones - E4c is better for jazz, classical, etc - SF5 is better for rock, electronics, etc. Just my opinion.

Congrats on your D2 - I'll be getting mine soon, too!

Old 02-18-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Hmm... I'm not that familiar with the E4c (none of my friends have it), but from the time I spent listening to it in the store I'd say it has better resolution and separation than the SF5. More midrange, less treble than the SF5. More bass on the SF5. Isolation should be more or less the same. The SF5 have less cable microphonics, due to their "memory wire" stuff that goes over the ears. I really like that wire thing, keeps the SF's safely in the ears. The SF's could be too big for people with small ears. E4c are smaller. SF5 have a user replaceable cable, very convenient. SF5 feel more sturdy and solid than E4c.

Maybe both can be described like this - E4c are "neutral musical" phones, SF5 are "fun to listen to" phones - E4c is better for jazz, classical, etc - SF5 is better for rock, electronics, etc. Just my opinion.

Congrats on your D2 - I'll be getting mine soon, too!
Thanks dfkt for the fast response...Great info also ...I wish there was a place around here where I could try them both out..the best iem's my local target has are the shure e2c and I've heard there not that great so I didn't bother purchasing them to try them out.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:40 AM

Well dfkt I now have both the Shure E4c and the Ultimate Ears Super fi pro's. I have both at the same time to determine which ones I want to keep.
The one problem I'm having is determining which ones to keep. They both have there different strength's and weaknesses. And to give me an extra opinion since I can't make up my mind I had my nephew do a listening test with both iem's...problem is he came to the same conclusion as me..he said there both good but in different area's and he couldn't tell me which ones to keep.
Anyway here's what I think of each iem:

Ultimate Ears Super Fi Pro:

I really like the clear color cable on the UE's...kinda makes it blend in with your cloths...it's a little on the stiff side but that doesn't bother me that much. Also I love the 1/8 plug it's a very low profile design, it really fits closely to the player and being it's clear it really makes it sord of invisible.
And they have a stiff wire inserted in the cable just above the monitor and it kinda holds it steady on your ear and I think it helps with less microphonics. Thought I wouldn't like this but I found it was kinda nice.
The monitor is a little on the big side...even when you have it deep in your ear which I do...it still sticks out from your ear quite a bit more than I would like. I played around with the rubber tips and I found out I like the double flange the best...for me it blocks out outside noise better than any of them. I tried those foam ones but don't like them at all.

Shure E4c

The E4c's cable is very nice to, very high quality.. but the 1/8 inch plug is on the big side, it really takes up space and doesn't blend in well with your cloths or the player like the UE's. The microphonics is very low not bad at all but the UE's are just a shade better in that area. Another thing the cable on the E4c is unbelievably long...not sure why they made it so long. The monitors fit very nicely in my ear...they're easier to put in your ears than the UE's. And they don't stick out of your ear as far as the UE's. But I find the Shure's rubber tips are to stiff and seem to bother my ears more than the more flexible UE's rubber tips. Although I than tried a smaller tip for the Shure's and that seemed much better.

Now for the most important part to me the sound....My dap is the Cowon/iAudio U2..equalizer set to flat....bass set to 0...bbe set to 0. Volume level goes from 1 to 40.

Both of these iem's sound awesome..
The UE's play much louder than the Shure's..let's say I have the volume on the U2 at 20 with the UE's, to get the same volume with the Shure's I need to pump up the volume to 26. The UE's Super Fi's play unbelievably loud...louder than any iem I've heard, and even at high volumes the sound stays clean.
The Shure E4c's sound is very accurate..with hardly any coloring of the sound...very clean sounding..and smooth with no harshness in the highs and mids whatsoever. And my favorite thing of all Vocals sound soooo perfect..no chestiness just perfect on the Shure's.
But by being so accurate the E4c's can be a little unforgiving and weak sounding of bad recordings or low bitrates...and sometimes it seems there's something missing in the music.
The UE's sound is a little different than the Shure's. I find the UE's color the sound a little but not in a bad way...Vocals have a little chestiness but still sounds good. The UE's have more bass than the Shure's but the Shure's don't lack in the bass. The UE's are more forgiving of bad recording and low bitrates. I find I like more songs with the UE's then the Shure's...but than there's that perfect recording and bitrate then I like the Shure's.
So you see it's a hard decision for me...I love the accuracy on the Shure's but I love the all around great sound of the UE's.

Anyway dfkt your assessment on these 2 iem's was very accurate. And I'm still waiting for that D2..

Old 02-28-2007, 06:02 AM

So it seems it's a good thing you're confused... I know, it can be very hard to decide, since no "perfect" IEM exists.

If you want to have the best of both worlds and save some money - keep the SF5, give back the E4c and get the Vibes instead. They've got similar great resolution and airiness like the E4c, but cost less than $100. Only thing is they don't isolate, so you can't use them in loud environments.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:13 PM

Default V-moda Bass Freq's...

Copped a pair of these brand new for about $40 US based off the reviews I have read from Cnet and more....they sounded absolutely awful...I contacted v-moda directly and they took them right back with, knock-knock, no hassles...I am expecting the new pair back within a week or so.

I listen to essentially hip-hop and nothing but so I was thinking that the bass heavy sound with some isolation would be right for me. Working out at the gym they have their music constantly blaring and I wanted something where I didnt have to crank it to compete and still hear the gym's noisy system over the top of my sounds. I am hoping the bass freqs once received back will do the trick, if not, I am thinking of going to Sennheiser CX-300 route based on what everyone here has seemed to say. I just couldnt understand why the pair of bass freqs I got produced virtually no bass at all and were much quieter than even my $10 Sony buds that I bought as a better alternative to the orig buds from Apple. Had to be a bum pair I am assuming....

Old 03-02-2007, 02:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you allow any time for the burn in to take place? This would make a huge difference to their sound.

The V-moda Vibe's have clear bass, but from what I've heard they are definitely not bass-heavy. They won't provide much isolation (for IEM's) in a gym environment either.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Guys:

TheBsk is talking about one product (Bass Freq). ZZZ is talking about another (Vibe). Both from V-Moda.

Steve

Old 03-02-2007, 11:46 AM

I had heard about burn in somewhere, so I played them for about 8 hours or so over 2 days and really heard no difference whatsoever. It would be one thing if they had some semblance of decent sound out of the box. I had mentioned to v-moda support the question posed...do they need burn in? I heard no response other than send them back, so I did. will the burn in process, I have heard anywhere from 6 hours to 48 hours, really make a huge difference? I have never heard of such a thing with monitors before, prior to reading about it briefly in a review somewhere. However, manufacturers haven't made note of this need in any of the documentation I have read in the past. It seems a bit strange to me on the surface, based on past experiences, that they would need a long time to adapt to the sounds, but maybe I am being a bit naive here. If I were to take 48 hours to burn in the phones just with regular listening, it would take me over a month. I do not listen for hours a day with IEMs. Do tell...

Old 03-02-2007, 01:23 PM

It is not just about adapting to the sounds. Some IEMs use armature drivers which do not benefit from 'burning in' However the V-Moda and also the Creative EP630, Sennheiser CX300 and other clones use a dynamic driver which consists of a coil attached to a diaphragm which moves inside a permanent magnet. These become more compliant with use and therefore benefit from burning in, even you are not actually listening to them during this process............

Old 03-02-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Aardvark...

Do you happen to work out in a noisy environment at all? Is there a recommended bud that you could give for the environment I described? (The gym, moving, jogging, with music often blaring from their speakers...I tell them to turn it down but then on the next visit it is back to loud levels...sux). I read your review on the Senn CX's....they sound really good but not sure if they woudl do the job for me in that environment...though the isolation wouldn't be a bad thing, not sure about the jogging issue. THanks.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:24 AM

The CX300 isolates as well as most other semi-IEMs, it should be enough for the gym. For jogging it wouldn't be too well suited cause of the highly microphonic cable.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
The CX300 isolates as well as most other semi-IEMs, it should be enough for the gym. For jogging it wouldn't be too well suited cause of the highly microphonic cable.
I agree fully with dfkt, although you can reduce microphonics by using some micropore tape to tape the cable to your skin on your neck or shoulder. Without this, they transfer every movement noise direct to your ear drum.

So if you can stand the tape on your skin, the solution seems to work quite well. Please also note that when using them outside in windy conditions, there are occassions when air crossing the vented outer shell leads to a rushing noise which can be heard during quiet passages or in between tracks.

Both dfkt and myself have noticed this, other users have so far not made an issue of it.

Tags
earphone, iem, in-ear phone