android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 08-24-2007, 12:04 PM

I bought some Phillips IEMs,(dont know what model)gottem yesterday and taking them today.Them hurt my ears,plus the way the cord is,short left and long right,it tugs and wants to fall out.
I bought some Sony MDR-W08 headphones and I like them alot,they sound pretty good to me.Gottem at Target awhile back on clearance for $6.Should've got another set.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-01-2007, 04:30 AM

How are the cords on the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 Studio? I hate cords that are thin and after you roll them up they stay curly and get caught on things.

I would sacrfice some sound quality for better fit and comfort, but sounds like the Super.fi's are pretty good in both areas.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:11 AM

I'd say go for the Mylarone X3 or XB (depending on the amount of bass you want/need). They're maybe the best sounding sub-$100 IEMs, and the cable is highly flexible (but microphonic too, of course).

Old 09-02-2007, 02:53 AM

Where exactly can I get the X3 or XB?
It's not as easy to get, unlike the Vibes I bought off of Amazon.

Should I bother buying one of them even though I just bought the Vibes almost a year ago?
My main beef with the Vibe is the lack of isolation, but it might be good when I'm gaming on my PSP and probably need to be somewhat aware of my environment around me while I'm deeply immersed.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I haven't heard the vibes personally, but you may want to read a really good analysis by dfkt here. I think by, " ...the XB's kick the stuffing out of the V-Moda Vibes ...", a pair of CrossRoads are worth the bother and the link may also clear up some of the "which ones? Xb or X3 confusion". You can buy both Mylars online from Jaben.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:12 AM

Wow, 3 mods agreeing in one thread a new record...lol...

I have both the X3 and the XBs, if your going to buy one, buy the XBs much nicer IMO.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-02-2007, 06:42 AM

So hands down, XB's are the most comfortable IEM's?

Is Jaben the only place to get them? Their site looks a little shady. I'd rather buy from an established site.

What should be my second choice if I don't get the XB's?

Old 09-02-2007, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

Is Jaben the only place to get them? Their site looks a little shady. I'd rather buy from an established site.

Jaben is on the up & up, Ive ordered from them and it takes a week to get from Singapore to me here in Florida, btw hell mark the package @ $5 to $10 so you dont have to pay customs.

But if you dont go for the XBs check out the Future Sonic Atrios.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-02-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

Read this thread about Jaben: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=19448

They're the official distributors (or even manufacturers) of the MylarOne's. Nothing shady about them, not in the least.

The V-Moda Vibes are even a bit more comfortable than the XB's - but they sound nowhere as good. For the same price, the XB's are a lot more refined and precise sounding.

The Atrios beat them all, sound-wise, but they're kinda big. They're very comfortable for normal use, but not for sleeping and such. IMO.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:38 PM

Added the EarPeace Live Wires to the list. For $250, they're the absolutely cheapest custom IEMs available, costing almost a third of most UE, ACS, or Westone IEMs...

Old 10-10-2007, 11:30 AM

Default stages of stupidity

I am so stupid. For the longest time, despite the Sony Fontopia hatred on the posts, i kept my stupid sony mdr phones. I thought they were great.

After a year of use at the gym and through a european trip, the crapped out. I just bought some V-Moda Bass Frq. My first thought was "oh, this is what my sansa is supposed to sound like."

They fit tight in my ear and are pretty crisp. I like the extra bass, so I love these.

Thanks DFKT for all that you do to provide great info on headphones.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:05 PM

dfkt have you got the Livewires?

What do they sound compared with the Q JAYS and Atrios.

Also are they comfortable etc and do they isolate well? expect so

Old 10-16-2007, 03:19 AM

If custom molded iems aren't comfortable, then there's something very, VERY wrong.

Isolation is noted to be as well as any etymotic tri-flange seal; in other words, very good. At least according to head-fi consensus.

Note: I keep wondering why MylarOnes are considered IEMs here, when they're technically canalphones, much like the v-moda vibes that are nothing more than earbuds. IEMs are made to kill noise; canalphones merely reduce it. I'm sure we're all aware of the issue with microphonics, as well.

Kurt:
the super.fi 3s, as I was told, have a similar sound sig to the Mylars only in difference to slightly better highs (no roll-off) and flatter bass-response. The bass is tight and accurate, but doesn't resonate as strongly with phones such as any EP630 or CX300s. This is different with a slightly higher-end super.fi 5, or it's muddy brother the super.fi 5 EBs.

I find my sf.3s to be a very strong all-around phone that reacts very well to EQ adjustments, though my only issue is my strange ear canals that need the shure foamies to get the right fit. Otherwise, they're quite comfortable, as long as you don't wear glasses (they have memory wire for over-the-ear shaping that prevents microphonic activity).

On MylarOnes:
Still very tempted to get them, but honestly, would rather have them in IEM form because I absolutely cannot stand hearing my footsteps. While the around-the-ear method works wonders, the cord noise is still very much present.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:13 AM

As I see it, there is no strict distinction between "canalphones" and "in ear monitors" - one goes deeper in the ears, the other one doesn't. Both styles of phones can have little or much microphonics, since both make a solid connection to your ear canal. Etys are considered very well isolating deep in-ear phones, and they're microphonic like hell. V-Moda Vibes are considered to be slightly above normal earbud-style, and they're not very microphonic.

Microphonics mostly depend on the way you wear the cable, and memory-wire phones are always the winners. My Atrios and Super.Fi's clearly have the least microphonics of them all. The other important factor seems to be wearing the cable under your shirt or jacket, that eliminates the rest of the noise. Other people use a clip to attach the cable to their shirt, that should work quite nicely as well. I only know about the Etys and MylarOnes to come with such a clip. I'm wearing any cable up around the ears and the cable under my shirt - no matter what IEM, for me they're all working fine that way.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:00 AM

I guess so. I'm always a bit surprised to hear Etymotics and such having microphonics, even with the supplied shirt clip. Can't win them all, I suppose.

You'd think that someone could make a small killing making some flexible rubber-wire to wrap around canalphone chords, for a make-shift memory wire...at least for as long as they have these ugly things around.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ki View Post
at least for as long as they have these ugly things around.
Wow, those things sure win the Frankenstein-of-the-year award. Sure makes for great soundstage (and killing all bass in the process) with the iBuds, seeing how far away from the ears the buds actually are.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:32 PM

I don't know if this thread is still being looked at but i just have two quick questions.

1.I have a pair of EP-630's and I've seen a model that look the same in white but they are called the EP-635. i was wondering if these were the same just a different color or if they are a different model.

2. This is more important. My EP-630's have recently been really quiet. Even though they're in-ear and stop noise they are still not loud enough to use outdoors. All other headphones work fine on my MP3 (ZEN vision:M) so that isn't the problem, anyway, is there anyway to fix them.
I have taken them apart but i don't really know what I'm looking for and i don't know where the fault must be.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:42 PM

You are in London, have you overwritten the EU firmware with the US version, this will give you 30% more volume output.

ZenChick has poste on how to do this old chap

Old 11-17-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
You are in London, have you overwritten the EU firmware with the US version, this will give you 30% more volume output.

ZenChick has poste on how to do this old chap
Yeh i done that a while ago. And all my other headphones work fine which means it must be something to do with the headphones, not the MP3

Old 11-17-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ3F3Y View Post
Yeh i done that a while ago. And all my other headphones work fine which means it must be something to do with the headphones, not the MP3
Yep, you are right, nothing lasts forever.May be oxidisation of the copper coils. With time my CX 300 are sounding more frazzled and whispy

Edit, do you get the wind whistling noise with the ep630's outdoors like I do with the CX300's?

Tags
earphone, iem, in-ear phone