android
Old 11-16-2014, 10:37 AM

Default RHA T10i

I just ordered these on Amazon Prime...I was looking for a change from my Sony iems and these get pretty good reviews everywhere. I've never tried any with changeable filters before. These are pretty new and I couldn't find the non i-device model. Has anyone here tried RHA iems before?

http://www.rha-audio.com/us/headphones/t10i.html

Last edited by Jeven; 11-16-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-16-2014, 06:47 PM

No sir, but those cords look pretty righteous.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:36 AM

They're said to be one of the best built iems ever - metal injected molded stainless steel, great earhooks and a solid construction all round with a 3 year guarantee from a British company.

From what I've read, I should like their sound - thick, quite bass-heavy but of a good quality which doesn't drown out the mids or highs. I like the idea of the metal filters which you screw in to alter the presentation - I'll try them all out then do a brief review on here.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow, steel IEMs in your ears though? I mean IEMs are pretty useless during winter anyway, but those would seem extra so

Old 11-17-2014, 08:23 AM

My only real concern would be the weight. They do look pretty slick though.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:18 AM

Next day delivery worked... will add photos to this post, but very little daylight here.

Last edited by Jeven; 11-17-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Looks like a pretty nice package, compared to what most IEMs come with. Very thoughtfully presented with the tip card, filter holder etc. They sue do like their brushed steel.

Kinda surprised they are bass heavy. Their flat freq response graph image on the packaging just gives me the opposite impression.

So I'm totally new to this company but are they fully made in Britain or is it a designed in Britain but manufactured in china thing?

Old 11-17-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
Looks like a pretty nice package, compared to what most IEMs come with. Very thoughtfully presented with the tip card, filter holder etc. They sue do like their brushed steel.

Kinda surprised they are bass heavy. Their flat freq response graph image on the packaging just gives me the opposite impression.

So I'm totally new to this company but are they fully made in Britain or is it a designed in Britain but manufactured in china thing?
The company is based in Glasgow, but they will be made in China/Far East.

First impressions: These are very comfy to wear with the spring-like moldable ear hooks, not heavy at all.

Half an hour of listening and I love the sound so far - like my XBA-H1 but much better - quite a thunderous but not overpowering bass - I think midbass is especially good, but these phones go low...nice mids and treble. I'm using the reference or standard filter screws for at least a 24 hour listen before trying any of the others.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:22 PM

Damn, I'm going to have to scoop a pair of these and see how they compare to my current faves (Havi B3 Pro).

Old 11-18-2014, 02:38 AM

One criticism I have is that the cord is very long - much longer than on other iems, but that may be a boon to others.

Still listening and getting used to the reference filter sound. Deliberately, I'm not using any EQ settings on my phone and my Shuffle doen't have any anyway. Have been listening to Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, the Who, the Moody Blues. Will try out some female vocalists today. I'm loving what I'm hearing, but even if the sound was only average I think these would be worth £150 just for the build/design alone, plus the 3 year guarantee.

I've never had iems with moldable (or otherwise) ear hooks before, (apparently RHA has a patent pending on this design) but these are very comfy. The actual steel buds aren't large in size, probably close to average for an iem.

Last edited by Jeven; 11-18-2014 at 06:27 AM.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

$200? Not for me. It amazes me how headphone and earphone companies try to make people think $200 US is inexpensive. $20 or less is inexpensive. $200 is expensive.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
$200? Not for me. It amazes me how headphone and earphone companies try to make people think $200 US is inexpensive. $20 or less is inexpensive. $200 is expensive.
It will be more than $200 in the US after you add sales tax.

To me, and probably for once concerning iems, these are definitely not expensive for what you get. I'm amazed RHA only charge £150. I would have paid £250 for these if that was their price.

Last edited by Jeven; 11-19-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Expensive is a relative term. There's a number of factors including but not limited to the buyers finances and their perception of what's a fair price. I know people that think anything over $20 for headphones is a waste. I know others that think a set of Senn HD 600 at $350 is a fantastic bargain.

I've accepted that improvements in headphone sound quality don't scale with price. After a relatively small step up in price point diminishing returns kicks in. As long as the buyer knows that a set that costs twice as much won't necessarily sound twice as good and accepts that I find it hard to argue with their decision to spend the extra cash.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:11 AM

So today I screwed on the gold treble filters. They do change the sound but very slightly, I've no reason to doubt RHA's claim that they add around 3 decibels to the range above around 2k. I love the sound anyway but these add a touch of sparkle to the treble.

Overall, I'd describe the T10i as a warm sounding earphone with great bass, mid and sub, but never drowning out the other frequencies. They're the first iem I've ever really tried that can sound like a full headphone - to me at least.

Drawbacks are the cable length, (but it is thick and very sturdy) and possibly for some the fact that these are worn over-ear. The mouldable steel spring ear hooks are very good, however, and the iem is comfy to wear. But because of this and the overall weight, they will never be as easy and quick to put on as a lighter iem you wear with the cord hanging down.

I'm still experimenting and listening to different genres all with a flat EQ.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Yes, $200 is expensive, but in my opinion it is not too much to pay for a great product considering a) how much I will use it, and b) how much enjoyment I get from it. You also have to consider that if you ever want to sell them, iems in good condition have a pretty good resale value. I think you can expect to get at least half your investment back, and likely more. That has been my experience.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:41 AM

These are going back to Amazon.

While they do have some nice sonic qualities, ie. they sound a lot like some headphones which is unusual for an iem, the bass and mid bass is just a bit much even with the treble filters. They need equalisation which, in my opinion, is the sign of a less than stellar driver inside.

For some they will be worth it, especially given the design and quality construction but after extensive listening they are just not for me.

I'm after the Dunu DN-2000 next, which should suit me much better.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu...3-way-earphone

Old 11-22-2014, 08:36 AM

On the other hand, with the treble screws, they sound pretty good when I apply the EQ effects in Poweramp shown on this pic:

And on my Z3C with the following EQ, basically -4 ClearBass:

So I don't know whether to keep them or not. Money is not really an issue as I recently sold my Momentum-On-Ears. I'm just a little put out by the novel notion (to me) of iems that require EQ'ing.

Last edited by Jeven; 11-22-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:07 AM

I have decided to keep these - partly for their design and construction, but also that they sound quite nice with some EQ employed - different than my other iems with more of a full-bodied headphone sound.

Am still after the Dunu DN-2000s also.