android
Old 05-04-2015, 01:27 PM

Default Headphones for the wife - advice needed!

Hello boys and girls,

This my first post here so please don't be too harsh

My wife who barely listens to music finally said that maybe an MP3 player and a pair of headphones was something she could use on a bus/tube.

The player bit will be easy - a rockbox'ed Clip+.

Things get more tricky with the headphones part - her initial thought was "in-ear" whereas I am thinking something like AKG K490 NC a bit of a gap

Let's go through the checklist:
Use: on public transport (so closed-back)
Music: Classical / pop / country / jazz. Maybe soft rock but most definitely NOT heavy metal
Player: Sansa Clip+ / Rockbox / MP3 VBR2 or similar quality
In-ear / over ear: not sure
Noise cancelling: possibly (but she can easily forget to charge it)
Other features: must be sturdy and simple (to survive in a handbag for any length of time ), and a case would be great
Size: preferably smaller (she thought my Audiotechnica ES55 were ridiculously large!)
Style: yet, it matters
Budget: up to 120

G
etting my wife to try various options in-store will be nigh impossible so trying to come up with a short list.

Having listened to Sennheiser CX3 and AKG Y40 (didn't like either) and my ES55 (Ok-ish), I tend to think that "reasonable" sound quality starts with around 40mm driver but maybe I am wrong.

Any advice?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-05-2015, 04:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't know if these are available where you are but, I own a pair of these
Code:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LFVSKRS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They are closed sound really good not costly comes with a cloth pouch two sets of cables one of which can be used with a cell phone. So the cables are replaceable. BTW I am female. I had to stop using earbuds as they were causing me to have to go to the doctor to have my ears flushed. Have not had to do that since I stopped using them. They are not nearly as heavy as the Beats by Dre my daughters has. I can wear them for hours with out being fatigued.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:18 AM

Hi coachop94, thanks a lot!
This is exactly the kind of ideas I am looking for - and I must say, they look very cool !

Do they fold? from the pictures, seems they don't.

If it's not too much trouble, what's the size of the earcups? couldn't find dimensions on the website.

Last edited by slowListener; 05-06-2015 at 11:24 PM.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:39 PM

Finally got some feedback: looks like the choice is reduced to either over-ear, or earbuds, ie something more comfortable.

Has anyone here had / tried Audio-Technica's EC700? They look the part, although the only place that sells them is Audio-technica, at (quite) a price
Otherwise, I guess it is either Senn's MX475 or Yuin PK3...
How do these compare to Sansa's complementary earbuds?

Momentums seem good but don't fold while the M50x are a little on the large side. Are there any "small" (and still decent quality) over-ear headphones?

Last edited by slowListener; 05-06-2015 at 11:03 PM.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Code:
http://www.amazon.com/Symphonized-Wraith-Premium-Genuine-Headphones/forum/FxRV7XND0PVLG7/-/1/ref=cm_cd_ql_psf_ql_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00LFVSKRS&cdAnchor=B00LFVSKRS&cdSort=best
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowListener View Post
Hi coachop94, thanks a lot!
This is exactly the kind of ideas I am looking for - and I must say, they look very cool !

Do they fold? from the pictures, seems they don't.

If it's not too much trouble, what's the size of the earcups? couldn't find dimensions on the website.
No they don't fold. They measure 3"x2". My ears fit inside the earcup. I have average size ears. The link also has asked & answered questions on that page.