android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 04-15-2012, 07:38 AM

Default Headphones for a range of jazz genres 200 - 300$

Price Range: 200 - 300$ though I am open for suggestions
Type/Design: Portable headphones I will be biking a lot with them
Open Style
Circumaural

Primary location of use: I'm gonna use them at home, and biking to university every day (20 km / 12 miles back and forth)
Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: Defined mids and highs, but the bass still shouldn't be woolly.
Media: Jazz Hard bop, Post bop, Cool Jazz, Fusion, Jazz-funk. Think Miles Davis, Scofield, Grant Green, Mike Stern, Michael Brecker, but also Coltrane, Monk, Joe Pass etc.
Source: Cowon J3 and computer at home.
Location: Scandinavia I can easily order from Germany, England etc.

Keywords are: Open for suggestions, especially about type/design.

I have been thinking Sennheiser HD650, but there's probably better alternatives for jazz.

I will be travelling a lot with them, as I stated, but I won't sweat a lot, so don't worry about me ruining them with sweat, that won't happen.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-15-2012, 09:48 AM

Sennheiser HD650 is a good choice for jazz but the Cowon J3 probably won't be able to drive them too well. They are also very unportable as they don't fold.

Beyerdynamic DT880 is a decent alternative, they have much clearer highs than the Sennheiser, but the mids are a tad rolled off (just a tad). They are not portable in any way either though.

An interesting alternative to these two would be the Ultrasone HFI 2400. It sounds a bit harsh for some while others love it. It also folds and has a low impedance, which makes it suitable for devices like the Cowon.

Finally, you can always go the Grado route. The SR225 is a good all-rounder if you don't mind its slight lack of sub bass. For jazz, that shouldn't matter though, and the Grado does have fantastic mids and highs, so that would work well.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

TBH it sounds like you need to choose 2 sets of cans. One for home usage, one for portable/highly active usage. On set really isn't gonna cut it here.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The design of any open air headphone + the speeds of cycling = lots of wind noise. Pretty much the only audio gear I ever go cycling with is a set of earbuds, because their design allows both streamlined form and they don't isolate. Also being able to pull out just one at any given time is pretty critical- plus I can still wear a helmet with them. I'd love to use my HD25-SP (Which is about the most expensive set I'd take on a cycling trip) but the fact that I'd be oblivious to anything not directly in front of me at the speeds I go at on my bike is just not something I'd want to have to deal with :P

Old 04-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
The design of any open air headphone + the speeds of cycling = lots of wind noise. Pretty much the only audio gear I ever go cycling with is a set of earbuds, because their design allows both streamlined form and they don't isolate. Also being able to pull out just one at any given time is pretty critical- plus I can still wear a helmet with them.
Excellent advice, I do a lot of road cycling as a hobby. I usually wear intras and I chose them following 2 criteria:

- close design intras provide good isolation. Anything open or semi-open (headphones or intras) is going to be inaudible with wind.
- intras with housings as slick as possible. Any weird shape, bump, spike is going to create horrible noise when the wind is going to slide on it.

I would pretty much forget wearing headphones, even small ones during cycling. And if you're going to cycle 20km everyday, I strongly suggest you wear a helmet for your own good, which will only let you use intras for music.

As for precise models, I don't listen enough jazz to be able to help. Rather than music style, try to describe the sound that you expect (bass / mids / treble / soundstage...)

Headphones: AKG K240-MKII
To sell: JVC HA-FX300, Philips SHE9850

Old 04-16-2012, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tienbasse View Post

I would pretty much forget wearing headphones, even small ones during cycling. And if you're going to cycle 20km everyday, I strongly suggest you wear a helmet for your own good, which will only let you use intras for music.

As for precise models, I don't listen enough jazz to be able to help. Rather than music style, try to describe the sound that you expect (bass / mids / treble / soundstage...)
I've biked 2½ hours straight before, with full size headphones, and it has not been a problem. I really don't like intras, I've used them before but they never fit, and I can never get a great sound out of them, and I always end up with sore ears.

As for wearing a helmet, I don't know how the cycling culture is in your country, but in mine, the conditions for cyclists are excellent. Of the 20 km I'm travelling every day, only about 1 km. is near cars, I only cross a mildly trafficked road twice a day. So it doesn't worry me, cars are pretty loud anyways.

Sound: I did describe it a little in the OP. The sound should be breathy, bright, clear upper mids and highs as that's were the solos are going to take place (except for bass solo obviously). And it should also be a warm sound, but emphasis on analytic highs and upper mids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post

An interesting alternative to these two would be the Ultrasone HFI 2400. It sounds a bit harsh for some while others love it. It also folds and has a low impedance, which makes it suitable for devices like the Cowon.

Finally, you can always go the Grado route. The SR225 is a good all-rounder if you don't mind its slight lack of sub bass. For jazz, that shouldn't matter though, and the Grado does have fantastic mids and highs, so that would work well.
Okay thanks I'll have a look at those, a quick search didn't reveal the best reviews for it though.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You don't wear a helmet because of cars, you wear it in case of falls. Cars will smush you - a helmet is just a formality in that case.

As for wearing full-sized cans while biking,...your crazy. You're on your own,...

Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
You don't wear a helmet because of cars, you wear it in case of falls. Cars will smush you - a helmet is just a formality in that case.

As for wearing full-sized cans while biking,...your crazy. You're on your own,...
Well, if I get hit by a car, it won't be one travelling 50 km/h, it will probably be no more than 30 km/h, and I believe that a helmet is still relevant in such a scenario.

What do you mean crazy?

anyways, I will also be walking around with it quite a bit, so if we just say I won't be cycling with it, any suggestions?

Old 04-16-2012, 12:37 PM

So this discussion kind of went off-topic.

I've been suggested 2 different set of headphones by a fellow audiophile.

How does Denon ADH2000, or Beyerdynamic DT-1350 sound?

They seem great to me, I'm leaning mostly to the Denon ADH2000, but I don't know if DT-1350 will be better for jazz

Edit: I've actually had the T50p for 2 weeks before, but I don't know how much the DT-1350 compare to it(?)

Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 PM

Full size HP's for active use is a bit of a brain-fart IMHO. You would be better served with a set of home cans and a set of less expensive beater cans for on the go. If you will not consider earbuds then perhaps something like the Sennheiser px 100 would work. They are much less bulky and will be easy to store when you get to wherever you are going.

Suggestion: Sennheiser HD555 with HD595 mod and sporting earbuds/ folding supra-aurals.

p.s. I do not believe you will not sweat so that is perhaps another reason to keep the expensive cans for home use only.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahrak View Post
So this discussion kind of went off-topic.

I've been suggested 2 different set of headphones by a fellow audiophile.

How does Denon ADH2000, or Beyerdynamic DT-1350 sound?

They seem great to me, I'm leaning mostly to the Denon ADH2000, but I don't know if DT-1350 will be better for jazz

Edit: I've actually had the T50p for 2 weeks before, but I don't know how much the DT-1350 compare to it(?)
Just the FACT that your considering the Denon AD-H2000 for BIKE RIDING tells me your crazy. I own them, and they are NOT for portable usage. Even when modded, they're usable for walking, maybe. Your request is ridiculous,...

Old 04-17-2012, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Just the FACT that your considering the Denon AD-H2000 for BIKE RIDING tells me your crazy. I own them, and they are NOT for portable usage. Even when modded, they're usable for walking, maybe. Your request is ridiculous,...
In my experience, headphones are in a much more stable environment when you're biking than when you're walking (it should be rather obvious).

I've had problems with headphones when I've been walking, but never biking.

To (possibly (but improbably)) clear up the rest of the accusations:

1. I'm NOT gonna be sweating out my damn ears, come on. You grow hair the places you sweat, the ears NEVER sweat, even when they're very uncomfortably overheated. And the weather in Denmark is pretty cold by many other people's standards, it's not usually above 10 C here.

2. I'm not gonna "use them for biking", in the way you're implying, I'm gonna bike with them sure, but that's not gonna be the majority of the time I use them. I just stated it because it's relevant, in a way that the headphones should not be huge.

More on-topic:

I will get a chance to test the Denon ADH2000 in 2 weeks, can anyone recommend a good Beyerdynamic on-ear model?

PS. Stop with all the ridiculous accusations please, if you don't think you can offer valuable advice to a "crazy" person, then don't. Don't stop by just to call me crazy.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:
In my experience, headphones are in a much more stable environment when you're biking than when you're walking (it should be rather obvious). I've had problems with headphones when I've been walking, but never biking. …
I myself have tried a few different full size cans biking and I couldn’t agree with your statement more. As long as you are riding on flat smooth ground/surface it’s as if your floating on air with a nice breeze blowing by, a very euphoric feeling IMO. Now it’s not my cup of tea to ride with full size cans as I prefer to use IEMs on the go but similar principles hold true. For example when walking or running with IEMs/customs that seal extremely well you can experience bone conduction noise in your ears and/or cable microphonic noises. While IEMs/customs will not have any bone conduction noise during biking and if the cable is worn correctly cable microphonics can be eliminated or reduced to the point of no concern. BTW I ride with my custom fitted IEMs that seal very well and truly enjoy them without the issues I just mentioned above.

Quote:
PS. Stop with all the ridiculous accusations please, if you don't think you can offer valuable advice to a "crazy" person, then don't. Don't stop by just to call me crazy.
In The Darksides defense, he does that to everyone so don’t take it personal and @ The Darkside, stop it! Name calling isn’t a good way to get your point across. Again my apologies for my other posts but its hard for me to sit idle while reading misleading attributes written about my favorite headphones go unchallenged.

Good luck finding the right phones, it sounds like you are on the right path by testing the ADH2000s and I would suggest you test as many as you can before you actually pull the trigger on your new pair.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-17-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post

Good luck finding the right phones, it sounds like you are on the right path by testing the ADH2000s and I would suggest you test as many as you can before you actually pull the trigger on your new pair.
Thanks, I would like a suggestion of some supra-aura HP though, I think they'll suit me best.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I would like a suggestion of some supra-aura HP though, I think they'll suit me best.
I haven't made any recommendations because I don't use full size cans while biking and I don't currently own any supra-aural headphones because I don't like having the pads sit on my ears rather than around them like circumaural phones. I also stand by my first post where I said "I wouldn’t recommend the 650s for biking or portable use." That said, I have tested mine both walking and riding and I don't like taking them out of the house. For portable I like folding, small or IEMs and that's why I said test as many as possible before pulling the trigger so you end up getting something that you'll be happy with

Old 04-17-2012, 09:01 PM

Apologies Bahrak, we trampled enough on your thread so I’ve moved the off topic to a new thread here.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Apologies Bahrak, we trampled enough on your thread so I’ve moved the off topic to a new thread here.
No worries, that discussion was the least distracting off-topic discussion in the thread...

The comment that I would like a suggestion for supra-aural HP was not directed at you specifically, that's just the last desire I have for this thread.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd go with Audio-Technica for Jazz, I have the Denon ADH2000 and to be honest its a bit lifeless in the midrange, overall a fairly "neutral" sounding headphone. Personally love my ATH-A900's for just Jazz and anything acoustic, but their build quality isn't quite the same level as the ADH2000. The a900's feel like some kind of spaceship, lightweight and complex whereas the ADH2000 are just heavy and feel nice in your hands.

A set of headphones thats very similar to the A900, and is slightly more portable is the Ultrasone HFI-780. Although they were a lot more closed feeling compared to the a900's due to the smaller size of the driver housings and the way the drivers are positioned no doubt. It wasn't anything huge, the main difference is that the a900's are huge and comfortable as heck, and the HFI-780 are relatively small for full sized headphones and portable to boot. The 780's are still way cheaper nowadays though.

Anyway hope that helps you.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:44 AM

Bahrak, Grados are supra-aural (with most pads) and I think the SR225 is still a worthwhile contender for your needs. In fact, looking at your description of what you're looking for:

"Sound: I did describe it a little in the OP. The sound should be breathy, bright, clear upper mids and highs as that's were the solos are going to take place (except for bass solo obviously). And it should also be a warm sound, but emphasis on analytic highs and upper mids."

The bit I underlined describes a Grado pretty well, IMO.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Oh yeah, forgot to add in that last post of mine. Even if your not going to be going fast on a bike, a windy day will make using a set of open air headphones pretty annoying. Unless they are small enough to not cause so much resistance/wear under a hood.

BTW do like grados myself- but only the lower end ones, would buy a set of SR80's if I could get them cheap enough. They're only sold as "audio snob" products over here for twice the price just because.

Tags
300$, headphones, jazz, portable