android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Android

Old 04-12-2012, 12:29 AM

Default Cheap Huawei Ascend G 300 and not cheap Ascend D quad coming to the UK

First the cheap stuff. The Huawei Ascend G 300 is a Vodafone exclusive, and has been announced to be “coming soon” with an off-contract price of only £100, when purchased with a £10 pay-as-you-go top-up. Featuring a 4-inch screen, a 1GHz processor, a 5MP rear camera, 2.5GB of internal memory, a microSD card slot, and the usual wireless goodies, the G 300 is a solid amount of phone for only £100 ($131). No release date has been set yet, but the product page is live on Vodafone, so I’m guessing “soon.”

Now for the exciting but less defined stuff. Pocket-lint has received confirmation that the Ascend D quad, which the Chinese manufacturer hailed as the world’s fastest smartphone at MWC this year, will “absolutely” be coming to the UK. Sadly no pricing or release date was given, only a promise that the UK will see the 1.5GHz beast this year. Lucky Brits.

The RAZR thunder-stealing Ascend P1 S—“world’s thinnest smartphone”—and the Ascend P1 were also confirmed for the UK. Sadly there is little to no additional information for either of these phones as well, only a hint that the P1 may hit as early as July, which does not leave us with high hopes for when the rest will hit. If Huawei waits until the end of summer to debut its premiere phones, I have a strong feeling that they will have already been out-done, and probably by a mainstream manufacturer—cough, Galaxy S III, cough.

So will anybody be picking any of these phones up? I prefer the stick-to-your-brands approach, and have a strong sense of wariness of cheap brands bred into me from years of fixing friend’s knock-off electronics. Or more specifically, telling friends nothing can be done for their knock-off electronics. That said, Huawei has been making a reputable name for itself as of late, perhaps enough even to be called name-brand. Does anybody have an off-brand device and would you buy it again if you had it to do over?

[Pocket-lint | Vodafone via Android Central]

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]