android
Old 04-10-2012, 07:16 PM

Default Unrooting the SGP 5.0

Finally pulled the trigger on the SGP 5.0 and so far I'm really loving it. I just use it as a web searching/email/ebook reader, but one feature I would really love is ad-blocking... which I can only REALLY get by rooting. Since I am not anywhere near as wealthy as I would like, I am a little worried about my warranty. From reading around, I've noticed that you can unroot this thing using superoneclick. Does anyone know if that completely removes any indication that it was rooted? (obviously I'd be removing all apps that require root). Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-10-2012, 07:21 PM

I think there are other ways to remove root, but I know that re-flashing the device with the stock ROM will "unroot" it. It should work, if all you want to unroot for is to keep your warranty.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is that possible with Kies?

I've jailbroke an ipod touch before, and I could always just connect it to itunes and reinstall the original firmware (obviously it erased everything). Is Kies capable of the same thing?

Old 04-10-2012, 08:34 PM

Kies has some form of recovery, but I don't think it's as extensive as iTunes' recovery. If it did, fixing bootloops would have been much easier.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:12 PM

Just in case anyone else asks the same question that I did.... superoneclick's unroot option DOES work (although it froze about halfway through which scared me half to death). Using the app Root Checker, it showed that I no longer had root privileges. I'm not sure whether someone more computer savvy than I would be able to tell, so YMMV.

Tags
android, rooting