android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Other Gadgets & Technologies > Gaming

Old 04-14-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
Oh yeah, what about Mirrors Edge?

The story follows a very Half-Life like approach, and everything you do feels like an accomplishment. Its a very anti violence type of FPS game, you personally can choose to never touch a gun but imo I just liked to every now and then get really pissed off at enemies and blast them ;D The visuals are very unique so its definitively worth playing. Not too long either.

Been so long since I played it that I'm actually downloading it to play again myself.
Huh. Good suggestion, put it on my list. Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-15-2012, 06:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSV View Post

I tried Mirror's Edge. It seemed a wonderful idea at first. A parkour based video game! Immersion is excellent: one of the very few first-person game that shows the hands and feet of the protagonist. In many occasions, I found myself breathless just like the protagonist after a long acrobatic run... This game was wonderful for the first half, but after that, I lost interest... too repetitive and too technical: It was too complicated to pull out a nice combo of acrobatics...
Yeah that's the same problem I had with Bioshock, you get a sensory overload and at times forget simple mechanics that really prove useful. Thats the beauty of things in Half-Life 2, you just shoot, and your never really put into situations where you need to use one specific gun over the others. Except the walker fights, where you pretty much need to just use rockets.

Had to play Bioshock in smaller chunks, and I feel like I'm going to do that with Mirrors edge as well, let my mind cool down and come back with a new look on each level. A good example of this in Mirrors Edge is the slowdown mode, and the reverse view button which really doesn't get mentioned enough in the game. Although now that I'm playing the game through again I do realize there are some things that could have been done different.

The game is very anti-violence, but you do get put in to really difficult fights within the first half hour of the game. 5 cops with shotguns vs you, and you have to fight your way through them? That's rough. Ultimately I was just runn ing back and forth, just trying to do as the game keeps telling you "fight them one at a time" but that just feels a bit gimmicky. Its usually possible to find a non violent solution to these fights but they are fairly difficult to achieve as well. I think this game could have been a wonderful puzzle game, although a really easy one if all the bullets and guns were taken out. Maybe someone could make a George Lucas cut of this game? Have them all holding walkie talkies instead? :P

Old 05-20-2012, 07:52 PM

Finally decided to just get on with Fallout 3.

A recommendation for future FPS/TPS games: Remove the "locked doors/crate" thing. The "terminal hacking" concept is not bad, but you can't just shoot the lock off the door? I'm not marginalizing Fallout 3 in particular, this is the same thing in all the FPS games I have played, including Half-Life 2 which I praise so much. To quote a line from the Concerned comic: "Or climb over it?"

Also Alaska Reclamation should be restricted to mid-to-high level players only. Because I got in there at Level 4, came out at Level 8, obtained nigh-indestructible power armor (the Winter T-51b is inherently bugged) and shit-wrecking weaponry. I'm not at Level 12, the cap is 30 (with Broken Steel), I've go Lincoln's Repeater (which make Super Mutants look like pu**ies in VATS) and I've finished about 10% of the entire game. No Bethesda, it doesn't work this way.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:04 PM

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are both terrible games. Fun? Yes. But terrible.

Anyway, as far as the shooting locks...

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/disc...ocks-video.htm

The problem with it is that they'd have to make only certain guns do it and then you have to keep in mind the amount of shrapnel going everywhere. Tons of games allow it - but every time they do it it bothers me.

Also: Lockpicking is what makes Fallout fun. Remember, fallout is NOT a fps. It is a first person RPG.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
Also Alaska Reclamation should be restricted to mid-to-high level players only. Because I got in there at Level 4, came out at Level 8, obtained nigh-indestructible power armor (the Winter T-51b is inherently bugged) and shit-wrecking weaponry. I'm not at Level 12, the cap is 30 (with Broken Steel), I've go Lincoln's Repeater (which make Super Mutants look like pu**ies in VATS) and I've finished about 10% of the entire game. No Bethesda, it doesn't work this way.
Yeah super mutants in FO3 are just jokes, and so are deathclaws once you figure out their AI. Then again it was Bethesda still wondering what was wrong with the Oblivion style of gameplay. btw I wouldn't work too hard to get to the level cap, heck even the high 20's breaks the game in more ways then one. All of a sudden you'll be running into impossibly difficult Ghouls and Mutants at every turn.

New Vegas was more thematically "Fallout" then FO3, the world wasn't some bland "Go wherever you like!" kind of deal with an overbearing "epic" plot and there was a general progression through the whole world. It was a buggier game but everything it added into the mix made up for the fact, and if you can get it on PC its not really buggy at all any more.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:52 PM

Level 16, DR 75 (Winter T-51b + perks), Energy Weapons 100, Repair 100, Small Arms 85, Medicine/Science 80, Lockpick 60. Fawkes (default Gatling Laser) and Dogmeat. Only thing imposing is the Enclave Flamer units, but there's the Tesla Cannon for use against these guys. Regarding Deathclaws, usually Fawkes gets on them before I can pull off VATS. Regular Super Mutants (and Brutes/Masters) are dealt with in VATS using the regular Hunting Rifle, and since I've got the perks, headshots and crits are very common. Also the Mysterious Stranger drops by once in a while.

I wonder what I would do after completing all the DLCs (now just Alaska and Broken Steel done). Maybe I'll try to find another Super Mutant Behemoth. Maybe I should crank it to Hard (on Normal).

Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 PM

Left 4 Dead has a subtle storyline. It's explained by the characters talking to each other, environmental cues (like uninfected bodies lining the streets, shot by the military), bodies covered up with blankets, graffiti on the walls from other survivors, etc.).

Most people play it through without really taking any time to look around and explore the area. Once they get the gist of the maps, they rush through them.

Which is sad, because there really are lots of subtle hints at how things went from normal everyday to end of the world.
movies, Netflix and internet, oh my!

Old 05-21-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
Left 4 Dead has a subtle storyline. It's explained by the characters talking to each other, environmental cues (like uninfected bodies lining the streets, shot by the military), bodies covered up with blankets, graffiti on the walls from other survivors, etc.).

Most people play it through without really taking any time to look around and explore the area. Once they get the gist of the maps, they rush through them.

Which is sad, because there really are lots of subtle hints at how things went from normal everyday to end of the world.
I thought L4D is multiplayer-only. There's a single player campaign mode?

Also I am currently getting my ass handed to me in Point Lookout.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
I thought L4D is multiplayer-only. There's a single player campaign mode?
The multiplayer is the campaign mode, but yes, you can play it alone if you want.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
The multiplayer is the campaign mode, but yes, you can play it alone if you want.
How's the bot AI? Stuck behind tables or running in circles much?

Old 05-22-2012, 10:35 PM

My favs are : Shadows Of Rome (PS2) and Max Payne 1 and 3.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:27 PM

According to this Nukapedia article, you're supposed to do Operation Anchorage after the entire water thing (Broken Steel and all). This would avoid the whole "ridiculously overpowered newbie player" thing. But it's also the first DLC available for FO3 which makes no sense. I don't know how Bethesda did their thing, maybe they could have planted triggers within the game so a new player won't be able to come out of Alaska with power armor and gauss rifles. They could have made Broken Steel first and The Pitt second, but noooooo. They give you indestructible armor instead.

Maybe Bethesda tried to level the playing field by making punga thumpers do 35 more DAM, but that makes even less sense.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
How's the bot AI? Stuck behind tables or running in circles much?
Its pretty much the same as the AI that controls the zombies in multiplayer mode. Good, but not as good as a skilled player.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:26 PM

Default Fallout 3 is pushing me to the brink

[rant]

Too many bugs. Feels too incomplete. It only takes about half a day to finish the main quest line and all the side quests are way too boring and meaningless. Seriously, collecting 30 bottles of Quantum for 1200 caps? Really? By the time I got there I had 21000 caps already! You know, before playing this thing I thought I could sweep through the entire Capital Wasteland with the Brotherhood of Steel, killing Mutos and Enclave with equal inpwnity, but nooooo, they just sit around their Pentagon with their feet up their dicks, or better, up my dick. And there's no time advancement. Liberty Prime never gets rebuilt. Lincoln Memorial never gets rebuilt. Vault 101 never opens even if you make Alphonse stand down. The anti-Muto super weapon never gets made no matter how many blood samples you freaking turn in! Also the Enclave, weak-ass remnants after blowing up their base(s) of operations who revive automatically after 72 hours of "death".

Operation Anchorage, listen I enjoy killing Red Chinese mostly because I come form there (China not Anchorage), and credit to Bethesda since they did get "中国人民解放军万岁" right, which means "Long live the PLA", but the soldiers speak like shit, also their stealth forces are called "黑鬼" which, excuse me, is the Mandarin-Chinese equivalent of the insulting n-word used to describe a person of African descent. No Bethesda, you no this way (don't be like this), do your Gorram reseach before implementing this just because you wanted the stealth forces to be called "Black Ghost", with 黑=Black and 鬼=Ghost. Also the level scaling, oh my God, you come outta Alaska and you get indestructible armor and electric sniper rifles with a DAM of 83, and by the time you get to GNR you can pick up a nuke cannon with a DAM exceeding 1600, oh come on, that's the thing isn't it, make a noob player ultra-powerful and the rest of the game is boring as shit since you get no exciting combat. Oh, except for object effects: Muto Overlords cause extra damage do you, this I can accept, since they are Overlords and are meant to be tough. I enjoy fighting these things, but not the punga thumpers in Point Lookout. A freaking half-naked dude with a double-barrel being as tough as a Muto Master and pwning you even if you have a DR of 75, because of some cheap object effect? No Bethesda, you no this way! Oh, and the respawning Enclave thing, you get unlimited copies of Tesla Armor, which looks and really is badass, but since you already have the indestructible armor from Anchorage than what's the point of getting Tesla Armor in the first place!!!!!!! So there you are, with a DR of 75, DAM of 1600, getting pwned by punga thumpers, also your companions are invincible, Fawkes has 15000 HP, fine by me, he's a good Muto anyway, but Dogmeat with 15000 HP? Really? These guys can survive an Experimental MIRV blast, yes I Gorram tried, and Fawkes has more HP than a Muto Behemoth, so there he is with his Gatling Laser, making the Behemoth his bitch. Geez you don't even need to play the game anymore, just stand there and watch Dogmeat kill Enclave Hellfire Troopers with his teeth. His Gorram teeth! Against thick panels of steel! And with a DR of 75 you still get hurt by Radroaches! WTF! Is this the same company that released that piece of dickwork called SkyRimjob? No! No Bethesda, you no this way!

Also Diablo III is a freaking MMORPG, you pay sixty bucks for a freaking client, what the hell are you supposed to do when Diablo 3 servers go offline "by accident" one day? Or if they delete your character with Unique Items also "by accident"? Or if you go to your little Wyoming shack without electricity to have a gaming session? Look at the Login screen and cry into your sixty-dollar receipt? Screw you, Blizzard, you used to make games once, now you just make money. I have all my hopes on Half-Life 3, or Episode 3, don't let us down Valve, don't you dare to Gorram let us down, don't tell me this is the future of gaming, or else I'm buying an Amiga.

[/rant]

The only thing I truly enjoyed in Fallout 3 is Liberty Prime. Death is a preferable alternative to Communism. Embrace democracy or die. Jesus Christ I love this guy.

Last edited by 3602; 05-27-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Jeese, told ya Fallout 3 wasn't a good game :P I only played that thing through because god damnit I wanted to see the end.

Loved that "Boss" fight in the end. Dude in a leather jacket, with his head without protection- seriosuly? Give me a damn Frank Horrigan or a Master mutant computer, but not a dude in a coat, when I have Power Armor on.

Still I stand by Fallout New Vegas being a better game in terms of having an actual plot.

btw played Dark Messiah of Might and magic and- yeah that game hasn't aged well It looks fine still but the game feels almost homebrew in the first stage. Tutorial levels are such terrible things -_-

Old 05-28-2012, 12:28 PM

You mean Colonel Autumn? As soon as the conversation ended, I VATS'd hid head four times with Lincoln's Repeater. He went down without even drawing his weapon.

I better try the older Fallouts. From what I know, in New Vegas, the Brotherhood of Steel is an enemy. That just doesn't meld well with what I am getting at here.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:32 AM

I would recommend S.T.A.L.K.E.R series but i see that it was already mentioned, so other titles:

The Chronicles Of Riddick from 2004 is really awesome game and underrated unfortunately, it's more like stealthy or sneak type of fps where you are trying avoid enemies rather than fighting them. Plot line isn't ultra original but overall, game is really good. The game even involves some rpg element's.

Deus Ex form 2000, well this is one of the best games ever produced, an rpg from fpp perspective, if this game was to become a film, produced by a some great director i would be one of the best films ever as well. Amazing story line, great characters, every choice you make affects the game, and even the game is linear you don't see it. I could not recommend this title more.

Half Life 2 well it's the best fps ever, for me at least, everything is great in this game, story, graphics, atmosphere, music. Classic.

Well i would recommend some more games but some of them are really obscure, and not many people even heard of those titles.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:01 PM

I just started playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution. (Haven't played the old Deus Ex from 2000)

I'm not very far into the game, but as of yet, I really like it.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The new Deus Ex is great! I've been playing Fallout 3. The main quest is shallow, duh, but there is so much juicy goodness in the side quests. After I'll be trying New Vegas.

If skip the Chronicles of Riddick game. IMO, it's only slightly better than the crappy movie...

Old 07-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
If skip the Chronicles of Riddick game. IMO, it's only slightly better than the crappy movie...
Aw, I thought the game was much better than the crappy movie.