android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Other Gadgets & Technologies > Gaming

Old 04-10-2012, 06:24 PM

Default Any FPS games with a really original plotline?

I just watched some BF3 and MW3 videos. Sincerely, they are the same freaking game. Russians and Middle-Easterns. Makarov and Kamarov. I mean come on.

Aside from waiting for Half-Life 3 (or Episode 3) and that vaporware StarCraft: Ghost, any FPS games with an original plotline that is available on PC? I've had it with staring down sights and having blood spill all over the screen.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-10-2012, 06:52 PM

Portal and Portal 2. Simple but very nice.

Borderlands. The plot well, kinda sucks, but it's a very fun game, specially if you can play with friends.

Singularity. If I remember correctly, it was a fine plot.

Bioshock, Bioshock 2. It's self explanatory.

If you feel just like killing and killing Serious Sam is an obvious choice. Pretty fun game.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 PM

duke nukem forever...the epic tale of a man who cant jump right and likes to play with poop....
but seriously, have you played system shock2?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYlt View Post
Portal and Portal 2. Simple but very nice.

Borderlands. The plot well, kinda sucks, but it's a very fun game, specially if you can play with friends.

Singularity. If I remember correctly, it was a fine plot.

Bioshock, Bioshock 2. It's self explanatory.

If you feel just like killing and killing Serious Sam is an obvious choice. Pretty fun game.
asked for story..... so why put borderlands in there it had no plot at all, fun but no plot

Old 04-10-2012, 08:25 PM

Portal series: played. Portal 2 is a lot more complex (both in terms of storyline and game-play). Ya gotta love Cave Johnson and his Incendiary Grenades (Patented Aperture Science). Also kudos to Valve for releasing a nice brain-game amongst all the Call of Honor: Battlefield Combat shooters.

BioShock. Might wanna try that one. I know System Shock 2 but I can't find it. Some sources claim that it's abandonware and is available for download, free and legal. In any case I couldn't find it.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

BioShock is insanely fun. Wonderfully creepy.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrododorF View Post
asked for story..... so why put borderlands in there it had no plot at all, fun but no plot
I know? I think what I wrote was basically the same, thanks for the heads up...

And it's open for others to knowledge/try it since I love the game, or even the OP if he feels like it.

Metro 2033 and STALKER (has a few games, starting on Shadow of Chernobyl) seem to have a decent plot as well, but I never fancied those so I never got to finish the games.

Oh, and perhaps Alan Wake for the plot, it's 3rd person shooter though; let's just hope FrododorF won't bash me about it cause it's not what the OP asked.

Another edit, Rage, similar to Borderlands, somewhat, but with a more evolving plot, not the best though, imo.

Last edited by sYlt; 04-10-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 PM

I've played Stalker (the series). The "plot" is really loose. Too much free-roam and you lose track of yourself at one point. Also you have to read your PDA after major events if you wanna know what just went on.

Metro 2033, can't run that. Alan Wake, saw it. Nice game-play style. Too much soft-lighting though, might not be able to run it either.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 PM

Metro hogs any machine. Alan Wake might be easier on the computer.

I guess you're not looking for something like, let's say, Skyrim or Fallout 3? Since it applies to your 'too much free-roam' rule.

Maybe something like Return to the Castle Wolfenstein?

Anyway, do try Bioshock, it's amazing.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:09 PM

I liked the Resistance and Uncharted series on the PS3 - they had good stories (but not original).

If Half Life 3 ever comes out I'll have to get back into gaming. . .

Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

System Shock 2, this is a must play- from start to finish it is by far the best plot for a FPS games. Even in this day and age you can get a graphical upgrade to this game to make it better. It supports co-op but I think you then kind of are distracted from the plot. Just pirate it. Buy it when EA FINALLY figures out how to make money with some kind of Digital Distribution Platform. I mean Origin sure as hell isn't the answer. Derrrp...

The Deus Ex trilogy (yes, even Invisible war) is awesome. Especially the first one, Invisible war was good for the story but a bit buggy- honestly though it was mostly hated for the fact that it was one of the first PC franchises that chose to move to a more console friendly format.

Fallout New Vegas, is worth playing. Its not as free roaming oriented as Fallout 3 but its still pretty loose. Honestly would not recommend Fallout 3 based on its story to anyone, but Fallout New Vegas- Yes!

The Thief trilogy, is generally pretty good, but you really do play them more for the fun alternative game mechanic of sneaking and stealing instead of just running and gunning.

The original Stalker was pretty terrible, but I've heard good things about its later iterations and sequels.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is a fun game too. Its melee oriented, but its all done in FPS style. The plot is quite fun- lots of choices and its a Source game so its still pretty good looking to this day.

Dead Island is pretty fun, not the greatest of stories but fun enough if you just stick to the main mission the side quests kind of impede your enjoyment of the plot. Also just play as the gun wielding chick and follow a strategy guide for playing her :P I mean you get kind of tired of melee in the first half of the game- guns become pretty awesome in her hands (Specially shotguns).

Bioshock is okay... Enjoyed Bioshock 2 much more then the original. Original is still good for the ambiance and feel but the story is just kind of meh and droning until the very end.

Oh and Crysis 2 has a pretty good story- I was kind of suprised when I played it.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:07 AM

Guys up top:

Fallout 3. I like the setting, really. Retro-futurism really appeals to me. Computers runing on valves and taking string commands. Huge American cars with nuclear engines. Want.
But I feel the story is just really coarse, as is the game-play. I mean come on, running back and forth for that lady in Megaton for a book? Really? Don't shoot the Mirelurks? They freaking shoot at me! Grinding Raiders to level up? What is this, CCC? I have no heart to try New Vegas.

Skyrim. Only thing appealing to me is that you can mod your character to Hatsune Miku. Otherwise no. The first Fable was good. Sequels and anything remotely similar to that, no. Just no.

Resistance. Too bad not on PC but I fear it's just another Halo.

Uncharted. Male Lara Croft. Tomb Raider is awesome, imitations are not.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein, played that. That's mostly wacky fun. You stab insanely quick and all. Nazis shooting zombies in booby-trapped catacombs, not bad. This is the one game in which the story is optional. Much like Sam.

Crysis 2. Overblown Call of Duty. 'Nuff said. Crysis 1 was admirable for the insane level of graphics, but not the game-play and even less the story.

What I'm looking for is a game where you're a part of the story. Gordon Freeman is. The entire narrative and story-line of HL2 and Episodes are just insanely well assembled. You feel the hatred against the Combine. You feel pity for the people taken by the Combine. Adrenaline pumps when you fight Striders in the ruins of C17 with the rebels. Defending little huts while driving around in a Dodge Charger, ramming down Hunters.

So now, two thing on my list: Deus Ex and BioShock. I might want to find System Shock 2 first, though...

Old 04-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well I can say honestly that Half-Life 2 does not have an equal. Its what set it apart from everything else. It was a very linear game with a very set in stone plot that you were taken on. It is more like the more recent Call of Duty games then any of these other games mentioned. Probably 100% less quick time events though- :P

Most of these games listed are more roleplaying games, their plots are more varied, they have choices and you can choose how you tackle the game. Although System Shock was more like Half-Life then the others, as the game is really more like a Zombie survival game and your ultimate goal is to try and survive the game and escape- No moral choices and what not. Still how you get to that end is varied, even though in my opinion the only way to play that game is to be a Hacker with some improved over time gun skills :P

Old 04-12-2012, 02:36 PM

You are looking for a story in the wrong places... FPS games are not about well thought out plots, they are about gratuitous violence, boobs and flashy graphics. Oh yeah and making lots of money off of horny little kids with violence fetishes who have access to the bank of mom and dad.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
You are looking for a story in the wrong places... FPS games are not about well thought out plots, they are about gratuitous violence, boobs and flashy graphics. Oh yeah and making lots of money off of horny little kids with violence fetishes who have access to the bank of mom and dad.
I enjoyed Portal 2 (and to a lesser degree, Portal 1) much much more than any other megagore shooters. There is very little blood in all of Portal but I still like it more than Call of Modern Combat and all that. Now why is that? Hääh?

Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 PM

His point was, it's probably near impossible to find something you are looking for, (for a FPS) ESPECIALLY after having played Half Life, I mean, that game is just a masterpiece!

I don't think you'll find what you want to be perfectly honest. You could get a close feeling with Bioshock imo, but you definitely need to lower your expectations. I remember that after playing Half Life 2 Episode 2, nothing else seemed even OK because I would compare every game to it. That's one downside of having played a really great game.

You've skipped Singularity I think? It's not original but it has a certain twist to the plot that I found amusing (includes moral choice).

Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
Guys up top:

Resistance. Too bad not on PC but I fear it's just another Halo.

Noooooo.

Uncharted. Male Lara Croft. Tomb Raider is awesome, imitations are not.

It's actually a rip off of Indiana Jones. :P 2 is amazing but 3 was not very good. . .

Old 04-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Oh yeah, what about Mirrors Edge?

The story follows a very Half-Life like approach, and everything you do feels like an accomplishment. Its a very anti violence type of FPS game, you personally can choose to never touch a gun but imo I just liked to every now and then get really pissed off at enemies and blast them ;D The visuals are very unique so its definitively worth playing. Not too long either.

Been so long since I played it that I'm actually downloading it to play again myself.

Last edited by Jack4L; 04-13-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:10 AM

Half-Life 2 is indeed the standard to beat.

I tried Mirror's Edge. It seemed a wonderful idea at first. A parkour based video game! Immersion is excellent: one of the very few first-person game that shows the hands and feet of the protagonist. In many occasions, I found myself breathless just like the protagonist after a long acrobatic run... This game was wonderful for the first half, but after that, I lost interest... too repetitive and too technical: It was too complicated to pull out a nice combo of acrobatics...

I really liked Dead Space. (Would like to try dead space 2, but I need a better pc) It's quirky at first: third person viewed over the right shoulder of the protagonist, but I got used to it quickly and in the end I think it was a good idea. Game mechanics is very good, weapons customization is nice.

It's linear, very violent ("Don't aim for the head or the torso! Try to cut off their limbs!") but very engaging. The best horror game I ever played. I found it hard to play it in the dark... Story is not very original (a mix of "Alien" and "The Thing") but it's done well enough.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
That's quite right...sadly.