android
Old 04-05-2012, 06:46 PM

Exclamation SOLVED: Possibly bricked SGP 4.0 - need assistance

Hi everyone,
Well, I seem to have resolved the first issue that I posted about on here which was audio hiss, but now I have another rather more difficult problem.

So, I thought I would install some custom firmware (I forget what it was called, but it's pretty popular for the Galaxy Player 4.0), so I rooted my Galaxy Player and installed the ClockworkMod ROM app. Anyway, I wound up rebooting the Player, and when it restarted the audio wouldn't work at all, and both the Music app and Winamp would freeze up every time I tried to play a song. YouTube videos would play, but with no audio either through speakers or headphones, and none of the system sounds would play either. Figured it was because of the root, so I used the Unroot option in SuperOneClick (the program I used to root the device in the first place). Still didn't work, so I did a factory reset in Settings on the Player, and when it rebooted into Clockwork Recovery, it tried to erase the data, but showed some errors (couldn't access certain folders/files, not sure which ones), but it said that it was finished so I rebooted the Player. When it got past the first Samsung logo, and into the animated galaxy thing, it kept looping at the animation, and reboots did the same thing. Then, I found this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1512331 and thought I would try restoring the ROM with Odin, which I did, and it showed a Pass, but still, same problem. Then, I got the PIT file from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=20259805 and again tried to restore the ROM as well as the PIT, but that failed, and after awhile of it not doing anything I unplugged the Player, thinking that I would reboot it and try again. However, now it hangs at a screen I have never seen before, which looks like, as best I can describe it, a phone icon----orange triangle warning sign----computer icon (attached a photograph of it if that helps any). Kind of at a loss here, so I would greatly appreciate any answers.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0162.JPG (121.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Jon49522; 05-25-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-05-2012, 07:39 PM

I don't own a SGP4.0 so take this advice with a grain of salt.

You say you tried to download the ClockworkMod app, this app does not support your player (or at least it doesn't for the SGP5). I think things got initially messed up because you tried to use that app. Things were made worse when you used the PIT file, the pit file is for repartitioning the device and shouldn't be used for general flashing.

Can you can get back into download mode (Power and Volume down)?

I'm going to go try and figure out what the recovery procedures are for the 4.0, I'll post back when I find something.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:43 PM

Dunno if this will help, plus I admit don't completely understand all you posted...

But I have successfully restored my USA 4.0 to like new ROM using this guide:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1512331

Good luck to you.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:55 PM

I found someone on xda that said that the screen you posted works the same as download mode. So try flashing again from odin using the same rom and the Galaxy Player 4.0 US 8gig PIT file from the link you posted.

If it works but starts to boot loop then you need to hold down POWER and VOLUME UP, the player will restart, when you see the samsung logo let go of the power button but keep holding the Volume Up. If you make it into the recovery mode, then
wipe cache partition, Wipe data/factory reset, then advanced - wipe dalvik cache. Hopefully that works.

If you are unable to flash via odin then you might need to buy a USBjig like the guy in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1545336
Which should get you into download mode.

I couldn't find anymore info on recovering the 4.0s, sorry. If I find anything else I'll let you know.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperP View Post
Dunno if this will help, plus I admit don't completely understand all you posted...

But I have successfully restored my USA 4.0 to like new ROM using this guide:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1512331

Good luck to you.
Thanks for all the replies everyone; I followed the steps in the linked guide above, and everything turned out well. I think it may have been because of the ClockworkMOD app, though all I did was install the app, I didn't actually set it up because I noticed that it didn't support the device.

Thanks again for all your help y'all!

Tags
4.0, brick, error, galaxy, player