android
Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 AM

Default Audio hiss problem on YP-G1 (4.0, US version)

Hi everyone,
I just received my Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 yesterday, and it is working well, except for one (rather major) problem. Basically, it emits a very annoying hiss through the headphones at all times, and through the internal speakers pretty much whenever I input text, or open an app. It sounds like the gain is turned way up or something, although the volume is not too loud. I did buy it used from Amazon.com, so if it is some sort of defect perhaps I can return it. Oh, and I installed the Steves Custom Rom and Voodoo Sound, to no avail.

Thank you very much for any responses!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 AM

It's normal.. I hear that noise too when I'm not listening to music. It seems that many MP3 players do that too, because I was able to hear that hiss on my old Creative Zen

Old 04-05-2012, 11:37 AM

Hmm, it seems rather abnormal to me, as even when I am listening to music I can hear that hiss; really distracting and detracts from the music a lot.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:39 PM

the only time I can hear a hiss is when listening to an album that has a audible hiss like Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions in the original recording.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 PM

Something is broken if hiss comes out when you're not using audio. I don't hear any hiss, unless volume is at max on a quiet passage--and then the hiss is pretty small.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 PM

Did you try with different/better headphones? I heard a hiss when I plugged in some cheapo earbuds, but usually it's fine

Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 AM

I get hiss as well. I have figured out that it is there whenever the audio jack is on. Try unplugging the device then turn the screen off without any music playing. You will hear the hiss go off after a couple seconds. That's because the device just shut the jack off. I really hate it, but if you use some headphones instead of earphones you won't hear it because they are quieter.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:09 AM

I get a hiss sound too, especially at low volume. If I turn it up a little bit, the hiss disappears.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 AM

I noticed hiss when I had a 4.0 and took it back. I got a 3.6 and the sound was noticably better with no hiss. Got the player for mostly music so the screen didn't really make a difference to me- for music it seems the 3.6 is better imho.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:04 PM

I found a work-around: flash Steve's kernal, downoad voodoo sound, then turn the analog sound down (you will have to turn regular sound up more) this seems to work for me. On the downside, you won't be able to turn go as loud as before, but it still goes plenty loud fore me!

Old 04-22-2012, 10:38 AM

Hm, I have Steve's Kernel and Voodoo sound. I have no hiss what so ever. Using HiFiMan RE0 headphones.
To add on to the above post just use the volume button hack. It puts the digital volume all the way to max and then adjust the analog volume instead when you use the volume buttons. This just involves checking a box in the Voodoo control.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:23 PM

The only time I ever get anything like this is on my 5.0 is when I have the device plugged into the charger and I run the audio out to a separate amp. It's sort-of like a quiet 60-cycle hum. When the device is on it's own power, I get no hiss. There's no way I would put up with that!!! This is supposed to be a dedicated music/media player...not just a phone that happens to be able to play mp3 files.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone; I actually returned that particular unit and got another one. The new one is noticeably better, doesn't hiss except with one pair of earbuds I have.

Tags
4.0, audio, galaxy, hiss, player