android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Home Audio, Car Audio, Amplifiers, Cables

Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 PM

Default Help me choose a cassette adapter for my Sansa Clip Zip - any recommendations?

I recently ordered a new Sansa Clip Zip from an online retailer, and I thought I would use it with a set of spare portable speakers I had lying around. Then I read about cassette adapters. Since I plan to use the player primarily during commutes, being able to connect it to my car stereo (too old for a direct connection) is of great interest to me. I was hoping to find a relatively cheap one with no obvious problems (<15 USD, preferably <10 USD), however, my searches did not yield much information on how to choose between them - I only found a handful of reviews on a few iPod-centric sites. So, can anyone tell me about the different properties of cassette adapters that I might use to choose between them, or, failing that, a recommendation? I can't seem to find any topic devoted to that on this forum, which seems to suggest to me that either this question doesn't come up terribly often, or that the differences are negligible for the most part.

Thanks.

Last edited by Rosea; 03-30-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Added desired price range

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Probably nothing written about them because there's so many other options to connect now. That said, my guess is that there's not much difference between them, if I were in your shoes I just shop price to see how you like it. Hard to go wrong when it's this cheap http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Audi.../dp/B001F9DJOO

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-01-2012, 09:41 AM

I have one of these adaptors. The sound isn't great but since it was only $1 I can't really complain. This is just my experience though.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El C View Post
I have one of these adaptors. The sound isn't great ...
I haven't tried one ever but I have to believe it's better than a wireless fm transmitter.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I haven't tried one ever but I have to believe it's better than a wireless fm transmitter.
Even a Coby would sound better than a wireless FM transmitter.....lol

Old 04-01-2012, 07:47 PM

There shouldn't be a huge difference between the adapters. But, things as they are, some will work for your car and some might not. Buy one, try it out. If it doesn't work, return it and get another.
Also don't expect quality sound from such a solution.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:57 PM

I used them for years in rental cars, when you couldn't get a cd player in them. It's certainly better than being subjected to radio in any form. The one I had sounded better than your average cassette.

There were one or two that they just wouldn't work in though. Cable layout, didn't keep the spools turning and constantly ejecting.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:09 PM

I though I was one with them but recently I had to travel for a while and the truck i was driving was older and had a cassette player. I was using an FM Transmitter and I would rate 3.5 on a scale of 5. I have always had good sound for a cassette adapter.

I picked one up at BIG LOTS for $4 six months ago. I have bought Sony and other brands. This one was a no name. Other Retailers in my area were selling them for $20 for Belkin and Sony adapters. Too F'n high! In my experience no matter what brand you buy they only last a year. In past twenty years I have bought about twenty of them. So buy cheap you are not going to know the difference.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Gee Big Sky you've had bad luck. I have a pretty cheap cassette adapter in my vehicle. Same one for quite a long time. The spare that I picked up (also cheaply) is unused. Of course, maybe the trick is to have a spare.

I bought a Belkin Tunecast FM transmitter that has a plug for the car's power adapter. I live just west of Niagara Falls. I rate that transmitter as a zero. Sitting in my driveway I couldn't find a freq that worked in my kid's Dodge pickup. It would have been useless if I had been actually driving. Maybe a battery transmitter would have been better, perhaps there was interference from the car thru the power adapter.

Plus the car's stupid CD player doesn't play a CD-R. Had to find a couple of regular CDs that I thought I could stand. (In case you can't guess I'm a shuffle kind-of-guy, not an album guy).

Steve

Old 04-03-2012, 03:41 AM

I always had good luck with the Phillips brand adapters sold at Walmart for ten bucks. I don't use one any more because I have MS Sync in my car, but my brother has been using the same Phillips adapter for several years now with no problems.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
agreed. I have had a couple of brands and never really noticed a difference in them.

Tags
car stereo, cassette adapter, player accessories, recommendation, sansa clip zip