android
Old 03-27-2012, 11:12 PM

Default Partly translucent Clip+

Does someone know more about a Sandisk Sansa Clip+ with a translucent back and clip?

I just found this picture in a Dutch news article:
http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2694/...n-op-mp3.dhtml

Just wonder if it was made for promotional purposes since I could not find a second one.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-28-2012, 05:35 AM

I like the look, my guess is a promotional run like you stated.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Now, that's techno-geek cool!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Now, that's techno-geek cool!
Totally. I would love to have one of those.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 AM

I would like one too but even better would be a totally translucent one, including the buttons

Old 03-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

In my humble opinion, SanDisk just doesn't take advantage of and think about these possibilities for us geek-types (plus others). For example, why not have the transluscent model available at the SanDisk online store (I just checked--it's not, although the full line of Clip Zip colors is there, which is good to see) or through a mass mechandiser like Amazon? Likewise, a metallicized/metal version of the Clip Zip (similar to what was being sold at Costco for awhile)? More than just a few people would buy, I'm convinced, especially given the accessible price of the Clip line.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:33 AM

I'm speculating here but I believe those were made for prisons. Having done communications work in Federal and State Penitentiaries. I would see that all the prisoners tech gear had to be translucent so not to smuggle anything in them. I think you are going to have to go to Prison to get one.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
I'm speculating here but I believe those were made for prisons. Having done communications work in Federal and State Penitentiaries. I would see that all the prisoners tech gear had to be translucent so not to smuggle anything in them. I think you are going to have to go to Prison to get one.
Interesting observation, I know I would not like to go to prison but a totally translucent clip would be the bomb IMHO. I agree with Mikerman but it's not only SanDisk that misses the boat, it's most if not all companies. They always claim they do focus groups to get the right look and colors but I find it hard to believe they get the right diversity of people to get high sales to justify certain colors other than black.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Interesting observation, I know I would not like to go to prison but a totally translucent clip would be the bomb IMHO. I agree with Mikerman but it's not only SanDisk that misses the boat, it's most if not all companies. They always claim they do focus groups to get the right look and colors but I find it hard to believe they get the right diversity of people to get high sales to justify certain colors other than black.
Black MMP,DAP,Mp3's are the new black I have seen the translucent TV's, Radios,and iPod's by the way. One of the guys that works in our companies warehouse brough in his Prison TV so he could watch March Madness.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Black MMP,DAP,Mp3's are the new black I have seen the translucent TV's, Radios,and iPod's by the way. One of the guys that works in our companies warehouse brough in his Prison TV so he could watch March Madness.
There's only certain things I'd want translucent, like my customs look great in smoked translucent to me (and I wasn't in jail for them ), a DAP would be nice as well but I don't think I'd want my tv to be that way. A laptop might be nice too but I wouldn't pay any extra for it and I don't really care for it as much, same goes for a radio ....

Old 03-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

When the manfs. have their own online stores, like SanDisk, it seems to me that they have an added ability to make different versions of a product available, relatively easily--no major distribution issues. (And then the manfs. also make the extra profit, by keeping the sales to themselves rather than sharing with a retailer.)

Old 03-31-2012, 04:24 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I contacted Sandisk and they did not know either:

"The Sansa Clip+ you saw in that picture could be a refurbished product as I do not recall we ever manufactured a Clip+ with translucent base and clip."

It just reminded me of the Ericofon that was made in a transparent version for display use. Nowadays a much sought after collectible.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:03 PM

Default MP3's In Prison??

Having had to send things to my brother in prison I am curious as how the inmates are suppose to load MP3's on to the translucent player in prison?? Does the player come pre-loaded?? Does it come with a translucent charger?? I know there are companies that will burn mix CD's to be sent to the inmate but this is the 1st I have heard of MP3 players, they must charge a fortune for that!!!

Old 05-18-2012, 02:09 AM

Seems like Big Sky is right. Googled the picture and found two articles of a translucent MP3 player made by Advanced Techologies Group Inc.

"More than 400 inmates have spent about $70 apiece to buy an MP3 player from the commissary in the Federal Prison Camp at Alderson, then 80 cents to $1.55 per song to customize their playlists from a database offering about 1 million songs."

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/?nid=615&sid=2783839

http://www.cleveland.com/music/index...es_west_v.html

Old 05-18-2012, 05:08 AM

Funny I run all around town with complete isolation and never feel unsafe. I’m very careful of my surroundings and never take chances especially while biking near any traffic. That said, I’d be scared shitless if I were in prison with total isolation from good sealing IEMs, I’d feel like someone could easily sneak up on me and shiv me

Old 05-21-2012, 06:14 PM

Default mp3 players in prison

Hey so I did a little bit of googling and found out that the federal prison system is offering MP3 players through thier canteen. The inmate choose's what files he wants preloaded ,about a buck apiece, from a list.