android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Off Topic > Random Chat

Old 04-06-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Tried vaping and I gotta tell you, it has nothing compared to one of these
You didn't try vaping correctly, then. What pv were you using? I'm telling you right now, there is no reason to inhale any combusting leaves ever again.

Throw your lighters away. Save your life and your money.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-06-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietSalem View Post
there is no reason to inhale any combusting leaves ever again.
Hmm, if they produce a liquid with THC in it, that may be something I'd be interested in for beverage purposes.

Seriously, you should wean yourself off nicotine entirely. Being addicted to anything is a pain, just another thing to make sure you've always got around you.

As for the health benefits, isn't it used as a pesticide?

For me, one of the major benefits of giving up smoking was the feeling of independence.

Last edited by TackyTiger; 04-06-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Tried vaping and I gotta tell you, it has nothing compared to one of these
Quote:
Originally Posted by TackyTiger View Post
Hmm, if they produce a liquid with THC in it, that may be something I'd be interested in for beverage purposes.

Seriously, you should wean yourself off nicotine entirely. Being addicted to anything is a pain, just another thing to make sure you've always got around you.

As for the health benefits, isn't it used as a pesticide?

For me, one of the major benefits of giving up smoking was the feeling of independence.

Nicotine has a lot of health benefits by itself. There's also water in pesticide. Only some pesticides have it, and it's just one of the ingredients. Not the primary active ingredient. Yes, nicotine will kill you if you ingest a lot of pure nicotine. However, no one gets that amount from vaping. I've spilled entire 24mg juice bottles all over me and I was fine.

Pot, however, does create tar - which is very very bad for you. Vaping vs Pot - vaping wins. Granted, I do believe in legalization of it and I smoked my fair share when I was a kid too. But, I've got kids now and grew up so I've not touched it in years - though I probably would if it were legal.

But, that's off topic.

Vaping is perfectly harmless, and most science suggests that it's BETTER for you to vape than not vape. Even at 0mg nicotine, pg is good to inhale and is in breathing treatments.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:22 PM

still my poison of choice

Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 PM

I just started vaping yesterday. I got a Lavatube variable voltage. Not the worst built quality, but not the best either.

It was cheap enough for a first try; for 70$ I got one Lavatube, two batteries, a charger, two atomizers and five cartridges. For 21$ more, I got three 10 ml bottles of liquid.

This first set is good enough to know that I will never use an "analog" cigarette ever again, assuming I don't run short of liquid and spare parts. Yes, it's that good. 90% of the real smoke feeling, I would say, and in the middle to long term, it will be a lot cheaper than burning tobacco sticks.

And I live with a non-smoker. She wasn't annoyed or bothered by the vaping. No need to go outside anymore!

Old 04-22-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSV View Post
I just started vaping yesterday. I got a Lavatube variable voltage. Not the worst built quality, but not the best either.

It was cheap enough for a first try; for 70$ I got one Lavatube, two batteries, a charger, two atomizers and five cartridges. For 21$ more, I got three 10 ml bottles of liquid.

This first set is good enough to know that I will never use an "analog" cigarette ever again, assuming I don't run short of liquid and spare parts. Yes, it's that good. 90% of the real smoke feeling, I would say, and in the middle to long term, it will be a lot cheaper than burning tobacco sticks.

And I live with a non-smoker. She wasn't annoyed or bothered by the vaping. No need to go outside anymore!
Congratulations on the great get up! Lavatubes are basically THE BEST starter item out there. Gives you a great vape for a very affordable price!

Make sure to check out vixenvapors.com (say DietSalem sent ya!) to check out their "daily deal" and whatnot. A great way for you to get cheap juices.

Post some pictures of you with your Lavatube for the thread! Let's convert us some smokers! =)

Old 04-22-2012, 09:40 PM

Thank you. It's been more than a week since I started vaping, and it works! I haven't touched a regular cigarette since, and it wasn't even hard. When people are smoking around me, I now realize how foul it smells...

I "upgraded" my vaping contraption: I replaced the atomizer/cartridge combo with a "Stardust clearomizer". It's much better because it can hold more than one ml. of juice, much more than the cartridge, which can only hold a dozen drops at a time... no need to refill more than twice a day.

I checked vixenvapors.com , The choice of liquids is awesome, but I won't order from a foreign website. I am Canadian, and e-cigs and liquids with nicotine are in some kind of legal limbo here: it's not illegal, but it's not legal either to sell and use e-liquids with nicotine. I heard of other local vapers who had their stuff held at the border... Thankfully, I found a local company (vaporus.com) who sells liquids with nicotine, but he only has about 25 flavors... Until he gets busted, I will deal with him.

I am curious about different vg/pg ratios. My supplier only sells 30%vg/70%pg liquids, but I saw that vixenvapors offers a wide range of vg/pg ratios... Have you experimented with different ratios?

And, since you asked, here are some pictures:

Most parts of my kit, with a bottle of good beer beside for size comparison:

Lavatube with the atomizer/cartridge combo supplied in the starter kit:

Lavatube with the "Stardust" upgrade:

Close-up, from left to right:

-510-Ego adapter needed to fit the stardust on the Lavatube
-Atomizer/cartridge combo
-Two Stardust clearomizers
-18650 Lithium battery
-Lavatube
-Battery charger.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:25 PM

Yeah.. That sense of smell will keep coming back. A lot of us laugh now at just how bad our breath was as smokers. I sure didn't realize how bad my breath was! Reminds me of what I remember my grandpas breath smelling like when I was a kid: Booze and armpit in one burning concoction! Lol.

I know all about the Stardusts. A few of my friends like them, and I know a ton of people on ECF love em, but I just didn't like it. By the time the Stardust came out I was already head-over-heels in love with dripping. I've got a tank for if I am doing something where I -cannot- drip. Though, I'll drip even in the dark during movies (I've found a method that works just fine at making sure I hit the hole properly and get no leaking).

Ahh! The dreaded Canadian vaper. Sorry to hear that. I'm well informed on Canadian laws. If you see something you want real bad feel free to take the risk. Let American vendors know (Dale from Vixen will do this too) that you're Canadian and would like your juices labeled differently. It's pretty common practice for much of Canada to order their juices as "Flavor oils" and things like that. You can also order 0mg juice and DIY your own nicotine into it. Things to consider if your personal favorite vendor does get shut down.

Yes, I've experimented with everything there is to experiment with! Lol. There's some pretty big arguments about PG and VG. Which really does which. PG is often credited as being the "throat hit", but this is totally false. I've got a friend who vapes 0mg (he's never smoked before - just likes the flavor) and there is NO throat hit AT ALL on his juice, even 100 pg juice. PG is generally considered the "better flavor" while VG is considered "more vapor". So, you have to decide what is more important to you. Personally, I love plumes when giving demonstrations to smokers. So, I've got some 20/80 pg/vg sitting around that I use for that. I also vape a lot of 50/50 when dripping, as well as 80/20 for my tanks. It all comes down to personal preference. Some people say they don't notice a difference in flavor. However, VG is generally thicker so for tanks and cartos be careful about going past 60/40. 50/50 for instance is way too thick for most tanks. Percentage isn't everything though! Different brands of PG and VG, as well as the age of the juice itself, the flavorings used etc all can change the consistency. It's not JUST the percentage. So, have fun experimenting what works for you! This is a whole new hobby in itself!

That doesn't look like AW brand wrapper on your battery. So, respect it. Treat it kindly. Always pay attention to your mod after you first put a new battery in. Make sure it's the right voltages, etc. Vaping can turn into pipe bomb manufacturing if we're not careful. Same goes for what LOOKS to be not a name brand charger. You should be fine as long as you're smart with it, just always be cautious with it. It's a very rare thing for any explosions to happen to our batteries (look how rarely we hear about it compared to how many people vape). Doesn't hurt to be too safe though!

Great looking LT though! Who'd you order from? Looks like it's the same manufacture as Volcano.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:12 AM

Thanks for all the informations!

I know about the dangers of these batteries, I already have read some dreadful stories in vaping forums.

Yes, the batteries supplied in my starter kit are not protected, but they are "safer chemistry" LiMN batteries.

I don't worry much about the batteries being unprotected because the Lavatube itself is loaded with protection circuits: over-discharge protection, short-circuit/over-current protection, reverse polarity protection, automatic shut-off if the fire button is held for more than ten seconds, venting hole in the battery cap... A lot of high-end, fancy mods don't have that much safety features.

Yes, the charger is unbranded/generic: It was included in my Lavatube starter kit I got at vaporus.com. I tested it with a multimeter: A fully charged battery reads 4.21 volts, and I read that I should start to worry if it gets over 4.25 volts. It has a three color LED: Red: high rate charge, Yellow: Low rate charge, Green: Fully charged. During high rate charging, the battery gets warm to the touch, but not enough to worry me. I read enough about it to convince me to be wary about these Chinese batteries and chargers... I always charge them when I'm nearby, and I disconnect everything as soon as I see a green light.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 AM
Redneck Moderator

lol, the lava tube uses the same battery as my flash light... maybe I should get one. My batteries are 'UltraFire' brand and I'm sure they have a chinese charger. I have yet had any issues with them.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 04-23-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the informations!

I know about the dangers of these batteries, I already have read some dreadful stories in vaping forums.

Yes, the batteries supplied in my starter kit are not protected, but they are "safer chemistry" LiMN batteries.

I don't worry much about the batteries being unprotected because the Lavatube itself is loaded with protection circuits: over-discharge protection, short-circuit/over-current protection, reverse polarity protection, automatic shut-off if the fire button is held for more than ten seconds, venting hole in the battery cap... A lot of high-end, fancy mods don't have that much safety features.

Yes, the charger is unbranded/generic: It was included in my Lavatube starter kit I got at vaporus.com. I tested it with a multimeter: A fully charged battery reads 4.21 volts, and I read that I should start to worry if it gets over 4.25 volts. It has a three color LED: Red: high rate charge, Yellow: Low rate charge, Green: Fully charged. During high rate charging, the battery gets warm to the touch, but not enough to worry me. I read enough about it to convince me to be wary about these Chinese batteries and chargers... I always charge them when I'm nearby, and I disconnect everything as soon as I see a green light.
Yeah, it's pretty impossible to run into mods these days that don't offer some form of protection. For example, with my saber I'd actually have a very hard time getting it to blow up. There is a huge grocery list of protection built in. AW is a brand of battery, and widely considered the best and safest batter out there. Head over to lighthound.com and check out AWs for your LT when you get to having enough cash. You'll want spare batteries anyway. Batteries ARE disposable for vaping. They slowly lose life and integrity and SHOULD be tossed eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
lol, the lava tube uses the same battery as my flash light... maybe I should get one. My batteries are 'UltraFire' brand and I'm sure they have a chinese charger. I have yet had any issues with them.
Trustfire and ultrafires are something to keep an eye on, Syndrome. I've personally had one start smoking on me - and as has a friend of mine. I've also noticed they fib on their batteries about the mAh. It may SAY it's 850 mAh but it's only 400 or something.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty impossible to run into mods these days that don't offer some form of protection. For example, with my saber I'd actually have a very hard time getting it to blow up. ...
It can and has happened http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/loca...ette-explosion

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-23-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:

That's because that man forgot he had an ecig in his mouth and tried to light it like a regular cigarette...

Joking aside, it seems that this incident happened with a "NJoy" ecig, which is a very small, cigarette look-alike model. The very same kind that DietSalem warned us about in the first message of this thread. I went to NJoy's website, and couldn't find any information about protection circuits in it. I bet there's none.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Every single explosion thus far has been user error. I'd also like to mention, that this year alone there has been more cell phone explosions than ecigs EVER. Big tobacco doesn't want you to vape. It's a threat to their business. Expect to hear about each and every single explosion.

Quote:
That's because that man forgot he had an ecig in his mouth and tried to light it like a regular cigarette...

Joking aside, it seems that this incident happened with a "NJoy" ecig, which is a very small, cigarette look-alike model. The very same kind that DietSalem warned us about in the first message of this thread. I went to NJoy's website, and couldn't find any information about protection circuits in it. I bet there's none.
You're exactly right. All those nifty forms of protection your LT has? This doesn't. Like I said, you just have to be smart and treat your batteries with respect.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:39 PM

Just got my Limited Edition Stainless Steel Apollo LavaTube in the mail today. It's freaking awesome. The drip well is deep and perfect. The weight is spot on where I like it. Sure, it's still a lavatube and it's button placement is still terrible, but it's awesome. I have it sitting here next to my Saber Touch and I keep reaching for it instead of the Saber (both have atties with the same juice in them right now). I'm sure it's just me being excited about my new toy, but we'll see.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:57 PM

Two people at work are about to order their own Lavatube after I let them try mine... Both of them are heavy smokers, and they immediately saw the potential of a serious vaping device.

After that, I think that there will be a snowball effect where I work...

Smoking is not allowed where I work, but nothing explicitly forbid vaping...

I must admit: I had one relapse last Thursday: I bummed a cigarette from a fellow worker. Not because I was craving one, but because I wanted to "compare" one last time. I managed to smoke it whole, but I didn't really liked it. Cigarettes are indeed nasty, Vaping is so good in comparison.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Just got my Limited Edition Stainless Steel Apollo LavaTube in the mail today. It's freaking awesome. The drip well is deep and perfect. The weight is spot on where I like it. Sure, it's still a lavatube and it's button placement is still terrible, but it's awesome. I have it sitting here next to my Saber Touch and I keep reaching for it instead of the Saber (both have atties with the same juice in them right now). I'm sure it's just me being excited about my new toy, but we'll see.
I may be wrong, but I think that the "Apollo" Lavatube is the same as mine, with just a different casing.

I heard about the "Lavatube V2" which has been just released, this new version has a limit of 4 amps instead of 2.5 (thus allowing the use of dual coil and low resistance atomizers at 1.5 Ohm), and has the new feature of displaying the resistance of the installed atomizers. This new version would place the Lavatube almost on par with the fanciest mods, like "The Darwin", for a fraction of the price...

Old 04-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I wish I had heard about this before I had quit smoking using chantix. I did have some annoying side effects, including the dreaded manic mood swings. But, it works. Still, I would have loved this.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Two people at work are about to order their own Lavatube after I let them try mine... Both of them are heavy smokers, and they immediately saw the potential of a serious vaping device.

After that, I think that there will be a snowball effect where I work...

Smoking is not allowed where I work, but nothing explicitly forbid vaping...

I must admit: I had one relapse last Thursday: I bummed a cigarette from a fellow worker. Not because I was craving one, but because I wanted to "compare" one last time. I managed to smoke it whole, but I didn't really liked it. Cigarettes are indeed nasty, Vaping is so good in comparison.
Vaping, while not illegal at your workplace right now, might still be considered rude. What is it you do for a living? I never suggest vaping in the food industry, for instance.

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I think that the "Apollo" Lavatube is the same as mine, with just a different casing.

I heard about the "Lavatube V2" which has been just released, this new version has a limit of 4 amps instead of 2.5 (thus allowing the use of dual coil and low resistance atomizers at 1.5 Ohm), and has the new feature of displaying the resistance of the installed atomizers. This new version would place the Lavatube almost on par with the fanciest mods, like "The Darwin", for a fraction of the price...
Correct, our mods are similar on the inside. The BIGGEST difference is that this is the only Stainless Steel LT on the market. Plenty are claiming to be Stainless Steel but are actually a chrome. It's a limited edition version of the new LT, and looks sweeeeet. Unfortunately, if they were to make this mod publically again it'd cost about 180 to manufacture. If not more.

You're right though! The industry is constantly evolving and that's something we vapers have to keep adapting to. It's all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I wish I had heard about this before I had quit smoking using chantix. I did have some annoying side effects, including the dreaded manic mood swings. But, it works. Still, I would have loved this.
There's literally no reason you can't love it now. We've got friends who vape 0mg strength juice. You could too. After a few months, these non-smokers are still not addicted to the action or any part of it. It can become another hobby, similar to music.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:59 PM

I got sent some more juices to review - one of which I can't put down. Now I'm in a pickle: I only have 3ml of that juice left and it'll take a week for the juice I ordered to get here. Oh no!

Time to go get my flavor box and hope one of these other flavors can hold me over.